[comp.sys.next] Summary: Mac sound conversion

lacour@austlcm.sps.mot.com (pat lacour/xdm6) (05/21/91)

First, thanks to all who responded. The consensus for the method
to use to convert Mac sound files to NeXT sound files is the
program, mac2snd. I found this on the Purdue archive under the
1.0-release/source directory. It compiled and ran fine at 2.1.
This program can handle 11 and 22 kHz Mac files. We also had an
interest in recording new files on the NeXT and playing them on
the Mac, so we wrote a short conversion program to do it. I can
provide it to any one interested. One limitation is that the NeXT
always records at 8012 Hz Mulaw and you have to convert to linear
to run our conversion. We couldn't change the recording frequency
or convert the frequency using sndconvert. Can anyone point out
what we don't know? When we try sndconvert from 8kHz, Mulaw, to,say,
22kHz, 16 bit linear, sndconvert chokes on the frequency conversion
even though documentation says it should work. Thanks again to all
respondents.

Pat

"Evolution is trying out intelligence. It may not work"
        -- Dr. Tom Roderick, Jackson Laboratory
e-mail  lacour@austlcm.sps.mot.com
        pensoft!lacour!pat@cs.utexas.edu

afortin@next532-1.gsfc.nasa.gov (Andre S. Fortin) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May21.165216.23261@oakhill.sps.mot.com>
lacour@austlcm.sps.mot.com (pat lacour/xdm6) writes:
> ................................................ We also had an
> interest in recording new files on the NeXT and playing them on
> the Mac, so we wrote a short conversion program to do it. I can
> provide it to any one interested. One limitation is that the NeXT
> always records at 8012 Hz Mulaw and you have to convert to linear
> to run our conversion.

> e-mail  lacour@austlcm.sps.mot.com
>         pensoft!lacour!pat@cs.utexas.edu

I could not email to either of the two addresses so I am forced to post. Sorry.
Could some one email me or put on an ftp site the short conversion program to
convert next sounds to mac sound format.  Please also explain how to convert
the sound to linear so I can use the conversion program.  Thank you.

Andre Fortin
afortin@next532-1.gsfc.nasa.gov
Greenbelt, MD