[comp.sys.next] More on Device Busy

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (05/25/91)

I've got a few responses, but most of them had same problem.
It seems to me that the problem occurs with 040+2.1.

Now, it happens always everytime when I mount an OD. I quit ALL
processes except workspace manager... didn't help.
I even used ofiles, an utility ported by Vic Abell, to show all
possible processes left on OD directories... no luck, none of the
process has anything to do with OD, but the OD just desn't umount...

any other with OD experienced the same prob? The only way I can
correct the prob is power down and up... which is not very nice...

--
cyliao@bagend.eng.umd.edu       o Q. Who am I?
      NeXTmail o.k.       	o A. A NeXTed person with 320meg HD and OD

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (05/25/91)

In article <1991May25.004939.8691@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>I've got a few responses, but most of them had same problem.
>It seems to me that the problem occurs with 040+2.1.
>
>any other with OD experienced the same prob? The only way I can
>correct the prob is power down and up... which is not very nice...

We haven't experienced any problem during the past 1.5months
with 040+2.1 on two cubes.

In 2.0 days, it happened once to one of the users, and OD
could be ejected when the person logged out.

Just a data point.  Maybe my OD will get stuck tomorrow.

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu

fletcher@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May25.004939.8691@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>I've got a few responses, but most of them had same problem.
>It seems to me that the problem occurs with 040+2.1.
>
>Now, it happens always everytime when I mount an OD. I quit ALL
>processes except workspace manager... didn't help.
>I even used ofiles, an utility ported by Vic Abell, to show all
>possible processes left on OD directories... no luck, none of the
>process has anything to do with OD, but the OD just desn't umount...
>
>any other with OD experienced the same prob? The only way I can
>correct the prob is power down and up... which is not very nice...

This weekend I was setting up an external HD. After formatting
and doing a BuildDisk, I mounted the drive. When I 'umount'ed
the drive I got-you guessed it-"device busy". No further explaination.
(I was still in a directory in terminal.) Since an OD is a mounted
device, I think there are two problems. One in the NeXT (a bug?)
at makes the 'umount' fail. And two, the lack of information provided
by Unix (Mach?) to correct the situation. We'll be "traveling in the
dark" for a long time due to two. Any gurus know of any diagonstics
connected to umount?

Charlie

In article <1991May25.064738.18059@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>In article <1991May25.004939.8691@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>>I've got a few responses, but most of them had same problem.
>>It seems to me that the problem occurs with 040+2.1.
>>
>>any other with OD experienced the same prob? The only way I can
>>correct the prob is power down and up... which is not very nice...
>
>We haven't experienced any problem during the past 1.5months
>with 040+2.1 on two cubes.
>
>In 2.0 days, it happened once to one of the users, and OD
>could be ejected when the person logged out.
>
>Just a data point.  Maybe my OD will get stuck tomorrow.
>
>Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
>USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
>Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
>Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu

I had a disk do this a couple of weeks ago. When I tried to log out,
I *couldn't* due to the "device busy". I finally gave up and did the
ole Cmd-Cmd ~ ej routine. When I tried to fix the OD the next login,
it failed the fsck. I had to do alot of scrambling to recover the data
(a few blocks had been trashed.)

So the lesson of this data point is *be careful!* Also see my follow-up
comments to the related post.

-Charlie