[comp.sys.next] od backup from remote machine

kelley@kiwi (Kelley Wittmeyer) (05/27/91)

i have 10 nexts on a netinfo network.  8 are cubes, the others nextstations.  i
have been trying to enable average users w/o root access to perform backups of
their accounts on one of the other cube's opticals.  i have been unable to
mount the optical drive (or exported optical file system) from an unpriveleged
user id.  i am exporting the file system from the serving cube giving access to
all etc.

anyone done this???

kelley wittmeyer
dept of atmospheric science
colorado state university

kelley@kiwi.atmos.colostate.edu

nathan@jacobi.biology.yale.edu (Nathan F. Janette) (05/29/91)

In article <15162@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> kelley@kiwi (Kelley Wittmeyer) writes:
> i have 10 nexts on a netinfo network.  8 are cubes, the others nextstations.
> have been trying to enable average users w/o root access to perform backups
of
> their accounts on one of the other cube's opticals.  i have been unable to
> mount the optical drive (or exported optical file system) from an
unpriveleged
> user id.  i am exporting the file system from the serving cube giving access
> all etc.
>
> anyone done this???
>
> kelley wittmeyer
> dept of atmospheric science
> colorado state university
>
> kelley@kiwi.atmos.colostate.edu

I've been trying to do this as well: It's very frustrating.  It seems that the
focus of the OS support for the OD drive is on single user usage, not network
access.

The backround program autodiskmount handles mounting the disk when a user is
logged in to the workspace.  What about when there isn't someone logged in,
and one wishes to mount on OD for remote access?

I've also reached the point Kelley is at: by logging in on the OD cube,
inserting an OD, and then exporting the mount point, I can then go to another
machine and NFS mount the remote OD...but only if I'm root.

This situation seems to defeat the idea of using one central cube with an OD
as an OD server for other cubes/stations.