[net.auto] Obstructing left lane

grt@twitch.UUCP ( G.R.Tomasevich) (02/03/86)

> It appears to me that at least 50% of the people impeading traffic in the
> left lane take great pleasure with their efforts. Or, they are stupid enough
> not to know what they are doing.

Someone just told me that there is a state in which one gets a ticket
if he/she gets passed on the right.  Has anyone else heard that?  In NJ
it is illegal to pass on the right.
--
	George Tomasevich, ihnp4!twitch!grt
	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (02/05/86)

> Someone just told me that there is a state in which one gets a ticket
> if he/she gets passed on the right.  Has anyone else heard that?  In NJ
> it is illegal to pass on the right.

Although this information is several years old, the last time I heard
about it it was legal to pass on the right in NJ under two circumstances:
(1) there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction, or
(2) the vehicle you are passing on the right is signaling for a left turn.

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (02/05/86)

In article <275@twitch.UUCP> grt@twitch.UUCP ( G.R.Tomasevich) writes:
>Someone just told me that there is a state in which one gets a ticket
>if he/she gets passed on the right.  Has anyone else heard that?  In NJ
>it is illegal to pass on the right.
>--
>	George Tomasevich, ihnp4!twitch!grt
>	AT&T Bell Laboratories, Holmdel, NJ

	I've heard well confirmed stories of Missouri Highway Patrol
	officers giving tickets to drivers that were cruising along
	in the left lane and not passing anyone.  Out of staters,
	watch out.

			Craig
--
	Craig Miller
	UUCP: ..!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

- Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
  views (or lack of) are strictly my own.

drelles@encore.UUCP (Robert Drelles) (02/08/86)

>> Someone just told me that there is a state in which one gets a ticket
>> if he/she gets passed on the right.  Has anyone else heard that?  In NJ
>> it is illegal to pass on the right.
>
>Although this information is several years old, the last time I heard
>about it it was legal to pass on the right in NJ under two circumstances:
>(1) there are two or more lanes of traffic moving in the same direction, or
>(2) the vehicle you are passing on the right is signaling for a left turn.

As I understand it, the same federal legislation that brought us the
55 m.p.h. speed limit also requires states to allow:
	- Right turns on red ("western rule").
	- Passing on the right on roads with two or more lanes going
	  in the same direction.

Prior to the enactment of the federal law, Pennsylvania (where I
grew up) and many other states forbade passing on the right except
under certain enumerated circumstances.  The rationale behind
the federally mandated change was (you guessed it) energy conservation.

Rob Drelles
drelles@encore

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) (02/11/86)

> Someone just told me that there is a state in which one gets a ticket
> if he/she gets passed on the right.  Has anyone else heard that?  In NJ
> it is illegal to pass on the right.

I doubt if getting passed on the right per se' is reason for a ticket,
but in Connecticut the law is that you must keep to the right unless
passing another vehicle.  I know at least one person who was pulled over
(but not ticketed) for driving the speed limit in the left lane
with no one on the right.

It is also illegal to pass on the right in Connecticut, but I seem to
recall some exceptions for three lane roads.  Any CT residents  have
a current drivers manual??

chris@minnie.UUCP (Chris Grevstad) (02/20/86)

wjh@bonnie.UUCP (Bill Hery) says:

>> Someone just told me that there is a state in which one gets a ticket
>> if he/she gets passed on the right.  Has anyone else heard that?  In NJ
>> it is illegal to pass on the right.
>>
>I doubt if getting passed on the right per se' is reason for a ticket,
>but in Connecticut the law is that you must keep to the right unless
>passing another vehicle.  I know at least one person who was pulled over
>(but not ticketed) for driving the speed limit in the left lane
>with no one on the right.

One state that I am familiar with is Utah, which recently passed a law
that requires drivers to change lanes to the right if the following car
flashes headlights or honks the horn.  Failure to do so is grounds for
a ticket.  Needless to say, some people still get mad if you flash your
lights at them.  Will they never learn?

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

	If things don't change, they will probably remain the same.

hijab@cad.UUCP (Raif Hijab) (02/24/86)

A Florida patrolman failed me on my first driving test in the U.S.,
for remaining in the left lane of a four-lane highway. As I drive
on I-80 between San Francisco and Sacramento, I wonder at the horde
of cars "parked" in the left lane at 50-55 mph. While the two left-most
lanes carry 70% or more of the traffic, the two rightmost lanes are
often empty. As a matter of fact, the rightmost lanes are the ones
you see speeding cars zooming through, having apparently given up on
using the "fast lanes". The CHP frequently pass by, and I have yet
to see them ticket someone for hogging the right lane.

Do you wonder how I observed this? You guessed it. I do not always
drive 55 mph. I think one of the least safe conditions to be in on
the freeway is in the middle of a cluster of cars driving 55 mph with
an average spacing of less than two car lengths, which seems to be
what these "safe, 55 mph" drivers insist on doing.