[comp.sys.next] vi / Terminal / NX 2.0 problem

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (05/24/91)

When I run vi in Terminal and increase the font size to the point where
the typeface seems to change [Try it and you'll see what I mean.  I
don't recall the exact point size where this happens, but it is
somewhaere around 15 or 16.], certain searches result in vi doing what
seems to be an "OM".  For example, suppose the buffer contains:

Atext
Btext
Ctext

and I say "/^B<RET>".  I will sometimes, but not always, get

Atext
M	<- in input mode here
Btext
Ctext

Unfortunately, this doesn't happen on all files and it doesn't seem to
happen with the smaller, normal typeface.  I find the larger type easier
to read so I am reluctant to do all my editing in the smaller size.  Any
ideas what is happeing?
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA        rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us         412-471-5320
venetia@investor.pgh.pa.us [NeXT Mail]     ...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp [UUCP]

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May24.122156.25000@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us
(Bob Peirce #305) writes:
[description of problem with vi deleted]

> Unfortunately, this doesn't happen on all files and it doesn't seem to
> happen with the smaller, normal typeface.  I find the larger type easier
> to read so I am reluctant to do all my editing in the smaller size.  Any
> ideas what is happeing?

vi and arrow keys don't get along very well for me at all.  Frequently I hit an
arrow key and it thinks I hit ESC beforehand, thus resulting in the other
characters.  Not sure why "OM" came in, it's always A, B, C, or D for me.
Could be just another undocumented feature of vi...

> Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA        rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us         412-471-5320

Mike

kloppen@gmdzi.gmd.de (Jelske Kloppenburg) (05/29/91)

>vi and arrow keys ...
>       ....  Not sure why "OM" came in, it's always A, B, C, or D for me.

If the VT100 is set to alternate keypad mode, the enter key
(on the keypad, not Return!) sends <ESC> O M.

j.k.

  Jelske Kloppenburg, kloppen@gmdzi.gmd.de, (++49 2241) 14-2433
  German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)