[comp.sys.next] ED

skankman@ux5.lbl.gov (David Schurig) (05/15/91)

I was at the U.C. San Diego book store the other day and I checked
the NeXT edu prices.  I saw 50 ED disks for $160 i.e. $3.2 each.
Do any other schools have this deal?  U.C. Berkeley does not.
This brings the price of ED disks down to 1.1 $/Mbyte.  Compare
to 1.4 $/Mbyte for the best HD disk deal I have seen. Considering
the added convenience of higher capacity this pricing makes ED disks
the media of choice in my mind.  Of course one still needs HD disks
for carrying data to other platforms, but I am very glad my floppy
drive plays these ED guys.  Good move Jobs. :^)

p.s. I have noticed lately that monster size hard drives are slipping
below the 2 $/Mbyte level.  Does this signify the heyday of these
devices or the demise of their industry.  I vote we end the mechanical
reign of terror.

Daev

danno@css.itd.umich.edu (Daniel T. Pritts) (05/15/91)

In article <13209@dog.ee.lbl.gov> skankman@ux5.lbl.gov (David Schurig) writes:
>I was at the U.C. San Diego book store the other day and I checked
>the NeXT edu prices.  I saw 50 ED disks for $160 i.e. $3.2 each.
[...]
>to 1.4 $/Mbyte for the best HD disk deal I have seen. Considering
>the added convenience of higher capacity this pricing makes ED disks
>the media of choice in my mind.  Of course one still needs HD disks
>for carrying data to other platforms, but I am very glad my floppy
>drive plays these ED guys.  Good move Jobs. :^)

I'm quite happy to have the extra capacity and capability of the ED disks,
but where are you shopping for HD disks?  There's a place called MEI/Micro
Center in Columbus, OH, that sells Sony HD diskettes for like $.79 in lots
of either 25 or 50, I don't remember off the top of my head.  They should
be in 1-800 information.

dan pritts

wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) (05/15/91)

In article <1991May15.131732.2291@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, danno@css.itd.umich.edu (Daniel T. Pritts) writes:
> I'm quite happy to have the extra capacity and capability of the ED disks,
> but where are you shopping for HD disks?  There's a place called MEI/Micro
> Center in Columbus, OH, that sells Sony HD diskettes for like $.79 in lots
> of either 25 or 50, I don't remember off the top of my head.  They should
> be in 1-800 information.

Hope you're not in a hurry though. I talked with MEI yesterday and the
current ship time for these diskettes is approx. 8 weeks after they
receive your order. Of course NeXT users are used to waiting...

					Doug

skankman@ux3.lbl.gov (David Schurig) (05/16/91)

In article <13209@dog.ee.lbl.gov> skankman@ux5.lbl.gov (David Schurig) writes:
>This brings the price of ED disks down to 1.1 $/Mbyte.  Compare
>to 1.4 $/Mbyte for the best HD disk deal I have seen. Considering

Oops. I of course meant 1/1.4=.69 $/Mbyte based on 1$ per disk which
I understand is not the best deal around.  But, I still think the
EDs are a good deal.

Daev

mathmyka@tpki.toppoint.de (Mathias Myka) (05/17/91)

skankman@ux5.lbl.gov (David Schurig) writes:

>I was at the U.C. San Diego book store the other day and I checked
>the NeXT edu prices.  I saw 50 ED disks for $160 i.e. $3.2 each.
>Do any other schools have this deal?  U.C. Berkeley does not.

>Daev

You mean, the ED disks are now _actually_ available ?
I ordered a box of ten together with my NeXTstation in November
and still haven't received them.

Mathias

----------------+--------------------------------+---------------
Mathias Myka    | I have to _pay_ for incoming   | "It's never
8940 Memmingen  | international mail. So, please |  too late to
F.R. of Germany | keep your answers short.       |  have a happy
---EMail: mathmyka@tpki.toppoint.de [...!unido!tpki!mathmyka]----

rdd@wuphys.wustl.edu (Rakhal D. Dave) (05/17/91)

In article <13209@dog.ee.lbl.gov> skankman@ux5.lbl.gov (David Schurig) writes:
>I was at the U.C. San Diego book store the other day and I checked
>the NeXT edu prices.  I saw 50 ED disks for $160 i.e. $3.2 each.
>Do any other schools have this deal?  U.C. Berkeley does not.
>This brings the price of ED disks down to 1.1 $/Mbyte.  Compare
>to 1.4 $/Mbyte for the best HD disk deal I have seen. Considering
>the added convenience of higher capacity this pricing makes ED disks
>the media of choice in my mind.  Of course one still needs HD disks
>for carrying data to other platforms, but I am very glad my floppy
>drive plays these ED guys.  Good move Jobs. :^)
>
>p.s. I have noticed lately that monster size hard drives are slipping
>below the 2 $/Mbyte level.  Does this signify the heyday of these
>devices or the demise of their industry.  I vote we end the mechanical
>reign of terror.
>
>Daev

MEI/ Micro Center (1-800-634-3478) sells DS/HD disks for 59 cents each (The
price is down from 79 cents earlier) Delivery time is 6 to 8 weeks though.
This amounts to 41 cents/Mbyte. If you make a hole in these disks at the
right place using the ED disk as a template you can convert it to a
2.88 MB disk. (This is true, beleive me). While there may be those who
feel insecure about the stored data after doing this, I do too, I must admit
that after doing this to over 20 disks in the past 4 months I have yet to
face a disk reading problem. What happens on occasion that the disk may
not format at 2,88 MB. In which case plug the new hole with tape and unplug
the old hole and it will work at 1.44 MB. But if the disk does format at
2.88 MB it seems to pose no problem later. 95% of the time the disk will
format at 2.88 MB. If you do this and buy the disk from MEI the cost per MB
is 20 cents. Rakhal.

daugher@cs.tamu.edu (Walter C. Daugherity) (05/21/91)

In article <1991May17.160011.8109@wuphys.wustl.edu> rdd@wuphys.UUCP (Rakhal D. Dave) writes:

|MEI/ Micro Center (1-800-634-3478) sells DS/HD disks for 59 cents each (The
|price is down from 79 cents earlier) Delivery time is 6 to 8 weeks though.
|This amounts to 41 cents/Mbyte. If you make a hole in these disks at the
|right place using the ED disk as a template you can convert it to a
|2.88 MB disk. (This is true, beleive me). While there may be those who
|feel insecure about the stored data after doing this, I do too, I must admit
|that after doing this to over 20 disks in the past 4 months I have yet to
|face a disk reading problem. What happens on occasion that the disk may
|not format at 2,88 MB. In which case plug the new hole with tape and unplug
|the old hole and it will work at 1.44 MB. But if the disk does format at
|2.88 MB it seems to pose no problem later. 95% of the time the disk will
|format at 2.88 MB. If you do this and buy the disk from MEI the cost per MB
|is 20 cents. Rakhal.

<begin soap-box speech>

I am certainly interested in saving money, but please consider if the risk is
worth it.  I have used many brands of floppies over the last 10 years,
starting with 8-inchers on a Cromemco Z-80, then 5.25" disks on TRS-80's and
PC clones, and now 3.5" disks on PC's, Mac's, and NeXT's.  There have been
a few major catastrophes where critical data could not be read or recovered,
but fewer on name brands not pushed beyond spec.

Where do you think 360KB disks come from, anyway?  They are the rejects that
wouldn't pass testing at a higher density, but work fine at a lower density.
I shudder when I see people reformatting a floppy with a physical scratch on
one side as a single-sided disk, just to save a dollar.  Is your data not
worth more?  How long will it take you to reconstruct the files if the
disk becomes unreadable?  Do you really want scraps of plastic from an extra
hole getting into your drive?

My recommendation is to use the highest-quality disk available, and shop for it
at the lowest price: my data and my time are worth it and it's only prudent.

<end of soap-box speech>

--
Walter C. Daugherity			Internet, NeXTmail: daugher@cs.tamu.edu
Texas A & M University			uucp: uunet!cs.tamu.edu!daugher

wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May15.144703.6111@cbnewsl.att.com>, wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) writes:
> In article <1991May15.131732.2291@terminator.cc.umich.edu>, danno@css.itd.umich.edu (Daniel T. Pritts) writes:
> > I'm quite happy to have the extra capacity and capability of the ED disks,
> > but where are you shopping for HD disks?  There's a place called MEI/Micro
> > Center in Columbus, OH, that sells Sony HD diskettes for like $.79 in lots
> > of either 25 or 50, I don't remember off the top of my head.  They should
> > be in 1-800 information.
>
> Hope you're not in a hurry though. I talked with MEI yesterday and the
> current ship time for these diskettes is approx. 8 weeks after they
> receive your order. Of course NeXT users are used to waiting...

I'm still waiting for my diskettes. But the price has dropped from .79 to
.59 since I ordered and they did send a refund check for the difference.
Nice touch.

                                          Doug