[comp.sys.next] NeXTstation memory upgrade

claman@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Larry Claman) (01/31/91)

I have a NeXTstation that came with the standard 8 meg of memory.
I happen to have a set of 4 spare 1 Mbyte SIMMS.  Can I put these in
my NeXTstation to get 12 meg of memory?

	-Larry
	 claman@csc.mckinsey.com

lacsap@plethora.media.mit.edu (Pascal Chesnais) (01/31/91)

In article NeXTstation memory upgrade
of : McKinsey & Co., Inc., Cambridge, MA writes:
I have a NeXTstation that came with the standard 8 meg of memory.
I happen to have a set of 4 spare 1 Mbyte SIMMS.  Can I put these in
my NeXTstation to get 12 meg of memory?

In a Monochrome (and I believe the color nextstation, but not having opened
one I can not tell) you can put only eight (8) main memory simms on the cpu
board.  These simms can be either 1 Mbyte or 4 Mbyte variety.  You can
mix and match 1 and 4Mbytes in groups of four (with the exception of
some special 4mbyte simms that you can put in pairs), however you can
not mix parity and non-parity without the next machine getting upset at you.

So to answer your question: NO, not unless you remove some 1Mbyte
simms and replace them with 4Mbyte ones... which obviously is not
the question you are asking:-)

NextAnswers covers this topic quite clearly.  I recommend that people
get together in their geographical regions to have NextAnswers accessible
to them.  A lot of answers can be found on-line through Next Answers or
the complete documentation set... However the problem is that the
whole documentation set is not available in the reduced 2.0 distribution
and not everyone has internet access...

pasc

claman@mck-csc.mckinsey.com (Larry Claman) (02/01/91)

From article <5062@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>, by lacsap@plethora.media.mit.edu (Pascal Chesnais):
> In article NeXTstation memory upgrade
>  claman@csc-sun.mckinsey.com (Larry Claman)
> of : McKinsey & Co., Inc., Cambridge, MA writes:
> I have a NeXTstation that came with the standard 8 meg of memory.
> I happen to have a set of 4 spare 1 Mbyte SIMMS.  Can I put these in
> my NeXTstation to get 12 meg of memory?

[stuff deleted]

> NextAnswers covers this topic quite clearly.  I recommend that people
> get together in their geographical regions to have NextAnswers accessible
> to them.  A lot of answers can be found on-line through Next Answers or
> the complete documentation set... However the problem is that the
> whole documentation set is not available in the reduced 2.0 distribution
> and not everyone has internet access...
>
> pasc

   Actually, the closest NeXTAnswers comes is:

---
Q:  What do I need to know about adding memory?

A: You must add memory in bank increments, that is, 4 SIMMs at a time,
with all memory in a bank being of the same type and size.  Mac memory
should work (i.e. 8 data bits, no parity, 30 pin), 100ns or faster.
Remember that NeXT doesn't support adding memory other than through
the memory expansion kits we supply.

Q: I have some 4MB SIMMs, but they're a little too big, preventing the
CPU board from sliding in.  Can I move the board to another slot?

A:  The CPU board must live in its original slot.  No other slot will work.

QA505
---

This doesn't say how many memory banks are in the NeXTstation.  You
are right about documentation - it is almost non-existent with my 105M
system.  They didn't even give me man pages!  I have ordered
the extended software kit to put on my server, but it isn't coming
till next month, so for now most of my knowledge is gained from
experimentation, NeXTAnswers, and from reading this group.

	-Larry
	 claman@csc.mckinsey.com

lacsap@plethora.media.mit.edu (Pascal Chesnais) (02/02/91)

This doesn't say how many memory banks are in the NeXTstation.  You
are right about documentation - it is almost non-existent with my 105M
system.
	-Larry
	 claman@csc.mckinsey.com

---

Ok,  again I must apologize since I get a lot of information from a variety of
sources, including actually popping the cover and "looking under the hood".
Monochrome NextStations take 8 simms.  You can mix groups in groups of
four 1 and 4 Mbyte 100ns or faster memory.  If you use parity memory, then
ALL the memory must be of that type.

Color Nextstations do not use the same memory!!!  They use either 256x32
or 1Mx32bit 80ns or faster memory (I think the memory moduals may be
physically different, though I have not checked "under the hood of a
ColorNextstation).  A call to ClearPoint says they do not carry this memory
configuration.  Also you can put 256x36 memory if you want parity
check (I am unclear as to which of NeXT's color products support parity
memory checking at this point).

DSP memory is in a different packaging.

I am sorry if I was unclear about this earlier.

pasc

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (02/02/91)

>Color Nextstations do not use the same memory!!!  They use either 256x32
>or 1Mx32bit 80ns or faster memory (I think the memory moduals may be
>physically different, though I have not checked "under the hood of a
>ColorNextstation).  A call to ClearPoint says they do not carry this memory
>configuration.  Also you can put 256x36 memory if you want parity
>check (I am unclear as to which of NeXT's color products support parity
>memory checking at this point).
>
>pasc

    Is the 256x32 or 1Mx32bit 80ns memory the same type of simm used in
the SUN SLC?

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

isca@isca01.icaen.uiowa.edu (Iowa Student Computer Assoc) (02/04/91)

From article <CNH5730.91Feb3164309@calvin.tamu.edu>, by cnh5730@calvin.tamu.edu (Chuck Herrick):
>    sources, including actually popping the cover and "looking under the hood".
>
> if you do this on a NeXTstation, and if you are _NOT_ a certified NeXT
> hardware service person, you take the chance of voiding your warranty.

  Possibly true, but how could they tell? :)

  On another note, does anyone know the specs for the DSP ram SIMM?  I gather
that it is a 512K x 8 static ram, but I don't know how fast it needs to be...
Does anyone know the part # and approximate cost?

|  David Lacey                           | Try the ISCA BBS and Archives    |
|  President, Iowa Student Computer Assn | Telnet/FTP: isca.icaen.uiowa.edu |
|  The University of Iowa                | telnet/rlogin in as iscabbs      |
|  isca@icaen.uiowa.edu                  | 1.3 GIG of disk space and growing|

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (02/04/91)

In article <1991Feb1.155824.5742@mck-csc.mckinsey.com>, claman@mck-csc.mckinsey.com (Larry Claman) writes:

>    Actually, the closest NeXTAnswers comes is:
>
> ---
> Q:  What do I need to know about adding memory?
>
> A: [deleted]
>
> QA505
> ---
>
> This doesn't say how many memory banks are in the NeXTstation.  You
> are right about documentation - it is almost non-existent with my 105M
> system.  They didn't even give me man pages!  I have ordered
> the extended software kit to put on my server, but it isn't coming
> till next month, so for now most of my knowledge is gained from
> experimentation, NeXTAnswers, and from reading this group.

Here's some information on memory configurations for NeXT computers:

---

Q:	What type of memory can my NeXT Computer use?
Q:	Can I install my own memory?
Q:	Should I purchase Parity Memory?

A:	All NeXTcube and NeXTstation products use industry standard
SIMM style memory.  New products support both non-parity SIMMs and
parity SIMMs.

Specifications are given below.  Please note the following about
adding RAM to your system before purchasing third party memory
products:

1.	NeXT does not support the addition of third party memory.
2.	We cannot answer if a given manufacturer's memory product will
        work in your system.
3.	Incorrect installation, incorrect parts or faulty parts can
        damage your CPU board.
4.	Many SIMMs will work, few will fit.  Low profile SIMMs are
        required in Cube based products.
5.	An 040 system with mixed parity and non-parity memory
        installed cannot boot automatically, you must boot from the monitor
        (all memory will be treated as non-parity).
6.	The information presented here is subject to change without notice.

Memory Information for the NeXTstation product

The following chart illustrates possible valid memory configurations
for the NeXTstation product.

Chart: Memory Configurations, NeXTstation

Horizontal axis--number of 4MB SIMMs
Vertical axis--number of 1MB SIMMs
x = a configuration below the minimum required memory size

		0		4		8
0		x		16MB	32MB
4		x		20MB
8		8MB

Parity memory specifications for NeXTstation:
1Mx9 100ns SIMMs
4Mx9 100ns SIMMs

The NeXTstation has 8 SIMM slots that can accommodate up to 32MB
(Megabytes) of parity memory using eight 4Mx9 SIMMs.  The minimum
configuration is 8MB using 8 1Mx9 SIMMs.  The specs are the same as
those listed above for parity memory for the NeXTcube, however, low
profile parts are not required.

Non-parity memory specifications for NeXTstation:
1Mx8 100ns SIMMs
4Mx8 100ns SIMMs

The NeXTstation has 8 SIMM slots that can accommodate up to 32MB
(Megabytes) of memory using eight 4Mx8 SIMMs.  The minimum
configuration is 8MB using eight 1Mx8 SIMMs.  The specs are the same
as those listed above for parity memory for the NeXTcube, however, low
profile parts are not required.

---

Hope this helps...

Declan McCullagh
Independent NeXT Developer

wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) (05/22/91)

How are people removing simms for memory upgrades?
By hand, or using some sort of tool?

I've got an 8mg NeXTstation that I want to upgrade. I can get the clips
back, but the simms seem to be seated rather tightly. Any suggestions
or comments would be greatly appreciated.

                                    Doug

In article <1991May21.214625.7143@cbnewsl.att.com>
	wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) writes:
>How are people removing simms for memory upgrades?
>By hand, or using some sort of tool?

Using the "official NeXT SIMM removal tool" left over from '030->
'040 upgrade kits.  :-)

The Color slab, however, doesn't require tools (the SIMMs tilt a
la some of our Macintoys...).

					-=EPS=-

wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May21.214625.7143@cbnewsl.att.com>, wag1@cbnewsl.att.com (d.wagley) writes:

> How are people removing simms for memory upgrades?
> By hand, or using some sort of tool?
>
> I've got an 8mg NeXTstation that I want to upgrade. I can get the clips
> back, but the simms seem to be seated rather tightly. Any suggestions
> or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I didn't have access to the tool that was
supplied with the upgrade kit, but did try most of the suggestions. I don't
know if my machine was representative of others or not. I got the clips back,
but nothing I did would budge the old simms. To the point of practically
destroying them. I've upgraded PCs and Suns before with no problem, but
have never seen anything this tough. In the end I chickened out and had
a service center do the upgrade. Better luck to anyone else who tries it!

Thanks again!

					Doug

A few people asked me to post a summary of the responses I received:

>From: clark@bruce.nist.gov
NeXT suplies a simm removal tool with the 040
upgrade board for the cube.  Looks like a thin
icepick with point bent at right angles about
1/2 inch bach from the tip.  You stick it in
the hole on th side of the simm and jiggle
it out.

I did this and it seems to have worked ok.

>From: oceania!johnr@uunet.UU.NET
Use an ICE Pick and bend the end 90 degrees. You can then
slide it in the hole and pry against the plastic holder.

A jewelers screwdriver should also do the trick.

>From: isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell)
NeXT provided a SIMM removal tool with the 68040 upgrade kit.  It looks like
some sort of dental tool.  Its working end is a small rod with a right-angle
bend about 1/2" from the end.  It works by inserting the end through the hole
at one end of the SIMM and rocking the tool back so the bend touches the SIMM
socket frame.  Continuing to rock back results in a prying force that lifts the
SIMM out of its socket.  Kind of hard to describe, but maybe you get the idea.
I'm sure I could find something around the house or garage to do the job.

>From: JKTROXE%ERENJ@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU
I had the same problem, so not being sure what to do, took the station
to a local PC dealer/repair place.  The dealer and technician were
mystified about the machine (I just brought them the slab) and said things
like "nice unit."  In fact, I gave them a running technical blitz with
the NeXT specs and capabilities.  But when I opened up the slab, the
technician had no problem recognizing the SIMMS for what they were.

     What he did was this.  He kept the back of the machine facing him.
he started with the frontmost SIMM (furthest toward the front of the slab).
You'll notice when you examine an unsocketed SIMM that there is a little
quarter circle missing on the lower left hand corner as you face the side
of the SIMM where the chips are.  Well, as the technician was facing the
back of the station, this quarter circle was to his RIGHT for all the
SIMMs in their sockets.  Using a thin screwdriver in one hand, he carefully
bent back his LEFT pin of the SIMM socket closest to the front of the
machine.  Then he took thin needle-nosed pliers in his other hand and
gently but firmly pulled straight up on the same LEFT (to him) side of the
SIMM.  The SIMM came free on that side.  I think it was free to pivot on the
right side because of the quarter-circle cutout on the SIMM.  Then he moved
the screwdriver and pliers to the RIGHT side of the SIMM and repeated the
maneuver.  The SIMM was free.  He repeated for the other 3 SIMMs he removed,
and then plugged in the new 4 MB SIMMs.

     This took about 5-10 minutes and cost me $70 for the technician's time
(ouch).  But at least I didn't ruin the board, and I learned how to do it
(or at least how he did it).  I took the slab home and it booted right up,
calmly informing me that I had 20 meg!  (I think this info is visible if you
do a verbose boot, and there is another command (I forget which) that also
tells you).  But I could tell easily by the fact that the machine was a LOT
faster.

>From: matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews)
I used five hands, two paperclips, and a pair of needlenose pliers m'self to
get my SIMMs out......

>From: smithw@hamblin.math.byu.edu (Dr. William V. Smith)
Try to find somebody that did a cube upgrade to '040
board (they got a special tool to remove simms) or
you can use a pair of long handled tweezers to lever
them out (put the points of the tweezers in the little
hole on one side of the simm and pry them out using
the socket as a base).
-Bill

>From: Hardy <hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu>
Better get a special tool.
We did it the hard way: 3 people, paperclips, thin screwdrivers
to push the tabs back, gently rocking the simms, trepidations.
I kept 4 1 MB simms + 4 4MB ones, for a total of 20. Works nicely