[comp.sys.next] Summary: Mac pict to EPS

amr@egr.duke.edu (Anthony M. Richardson) (05/24/91)

I posted an earlier message asking if anyone had a program that
converted Macintosh pict files to encapsulated PostScript which
would run on the NeXT (or under Unix).

I received several requests to pass on any info I obtained and a
few requests to summarize the results of my search.  Unfortunately
no one provided a pointer to appropriate Unix software.
The concensus seems to be to do the conversion on a Mac
(which I, unfortunately, do not have convenient access to yet)
using Adobe Illustrator.

Tony Richardson
amr@egr.duke.edu

faught@psychosis.ssc.gov (Ed Faught) (05/24/91)

In article <1447@cameron.egr.duke.edu> amr@egr.duke.edu (Anthony M. Richardson)
writes:
> I posted an earlier message asking if anyone had a program that
> converted Macintosh pict files to encapsulated PostScript which
> would run on the NeXT (or under Unix).
>
> I received several requests to pass on any info I obtained and a
> few requests to summarize the results of my search.  Unfortunately
> no one provided a pointer to appropriate Unix software.
> The concensus seems to be to do the conversion on a Mac
> (which I, unfortunately, do not have convenient access to yet)
> using Adobe Illustrator.
>
> Tony Richardson
> amr@egr.duke.edu

Don't the appropriate routines exist in pbmplus?

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (05/25/91)

Anthony M. Richardson writes
> I posted an earlier message asking if anyone had a program that
> converted Macintosh pict files to encapsulated PostScript which
> would run on the NeXT (or under Unix).
>
> The concensus seems to be to do the conversion on a Mac
> (which I, unfortunately, do not have convenient access to yet)
> using Adobe Illustrator.

If you can convert the PICT to a TIFF image on the Mac (there are
conversion programs available, but I don't know what they are), then
you could bring it in as a template in NeXT Illustrator and do the
conversion there--as soon as Adobe ships NeXT Illustrator, of course,
which shouldn't be too long from now, methinks.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

benseb@grumpy.sdsc.edu (Booker Bense) (05/30/91)

In article <512@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>Anthony M. Richardson writes
>> I posted an earlier message asking if anyone had a program that
>> converted Macintosh pict files to encapsulated PostScript which
>> would run on the NeXT (or under Unix).

- Imconv available by anonymous ftp from sdsc.edu will convert mac
pict files to postscript ( it can write , but not read postscript).
Unfortunately, we are only releasing binary versions and there is not
a binary NeXT version yet. If there is alot of demand for this, I
could probably talk my boss into letting me work on it. It currently
converts between about 24 formats , theres a .tif one , I don't know
if it's .tiff or not. So annoy the mail adminstrators and send me
mail if you would like to see imconv available for the NeXT.

- Booker C. Bense
prefered: benseb@grumpy.sdsc.edu	"I think it's GOOD that everyone
NeXT Mail: benseb@next.sdsc.edu 	   becomes food " - Hobbes