[net.auto] articles i posted that died

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (02/25/86)

I just found out that for the past month or so, all news articles
posted from polaris have been trashed so none of these (maybe)
made it out into the world.  bear with me if these are repitions.

Herb...

==================

Subject: Re: List of Drivers to Avoid (Cadillac and other land yachts)
In article <4000015@uiucdcsp> neth@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>I thought everyone knew that Cadillac drivers buy a piece of the road when
>they buy the car!  They are entitled to hog it then, right? :-)

on a more serious note, i can't really see how anyone driving those
things has enough road feel, visibility, and handling to help what
they do.  the other thing is that the average cadillac owner is over 60.
a lot of people over 50 shouldn't be allowed on the roads under any
circumstances anyway.

Subject: Re: small car manners and other flames

when i lived at home, i used to drive my mom's Pontiac Acadian (Chevette
clone) to work all the time.  it was the only car i have ever driven
where i felt unsafe at any speed above about 100kmh (55 mph).  it had the
1.6L automatic so it can't help but be slow, but even the 5 speed was
sluggish, even in high tune.

so, i take exception to the claim that the Chevette owner was passing semi's
left and right unless the semi's were so heavily loaded that they could only
manage about 20mph up the hills.  around here, i still am amazed that people
drive their Chevettes as fast as they do because 5 years of driving one
has convinced me that they are not safe at that speed, especially when
conditions are so slippery.

Consumer Reports and Road&Track agree on this one.  it's a relic from the
stone age of econobox design.

Subject: Re: turbos and other superchargers
In article <2802@ihuxf.UUCP> cuda@ihuxf.UUCP (Mike Nelson) writes:
>While the comment of instant boost for superchargers in drag racing is in all
>practical purposes correct, the most important reason for using a supercharger
>over turbo is the amount of horse power the units can add.  When was the
>last time you saw a V-8 (approx 600) cubes producing 2800 HP with turbos?

the Honda F1 1.5 litre racing engine gets slightly over 1300hp in qualifying
trim and over 900hp in racing trim.  it is a turbo V-6.  these numbers
were determined by calculation from actual performance and are not
manufacturers claims.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa, herbie%yktvmh.bitnet@wiscvm
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.