[comp.sys.next] DSP Chip in NeXT -- how can we use it?

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (05/25/91)

Hiya -
	The DSP chip on the NeXT is what makes the NeXT a NeXT, but how are
people using it? I've been listening on the net for quite a while now, but
I haven't heard many people commenting on it. Is it being underutilized?
I don't think there are that many apps using it, right?  :-!
	I'd really like to hear from people who are using the chip. I've
wanted to work on it too, but NeXT does not provide many tools. I'd really
like to see a DSPKit, along the lines of the appkit. The library of routines
provided seem difficult to use. Has anyone had much experience in this? Is
anyone interested in selling a library of routines for the DSP?
	I'd especially like to hear from academia. What are the scientific
uses of the DSP? Or is it an albatross? I think that a NeXT without the DSP
is like castrating it into a Mac, but what can we use it for? Can we
explore some possibilities? How about the ten wackiest things to do with
the DSP (no boring things like: fax modem, ECG recorder, powerglove monitor,
etc. :-)

	- jiro nakamura
	jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
The Shaman Group			(607) 256-5125 VOICE

In article <1991May25.023910.8736@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com
	(Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>	The DSP chip on the NeXT is what makes the NeXT a NeXT, but how are
>people using it? I've been listening on the net for quite a while now, but
>I haven't heard many people commenting on it. Is it being underutilized?

Everytime you output an 8KHz mu-law sound, you're running it
through the DSP to resample it to 22KHz.  (Note that the system's
beep sounds are all 16-bit linear 22KHz soundfiles, which can be
fed directly to sound out.)

					-=EPS=-

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (05/30/91)

Hiya -
	I received a lot of postings from many people about this issue. I'm
writing up the summary (UnixWorld style) into a separate posting which will
follow this article. Some people asked where they could get some more
information on the DSP, one person referred this archive:
----------
I hope following pointer may help your DSP library and applications which
turns very useful for me at the beginning of my DSP experience. It is at

	ivucsb.sba.ca

There are many utilities as well as sample applications but you need to
convert them to NeXT way. Hope I just return back IOU to you in the last
time.....

Soo	lee@cs.wisc.edu
----------------

	Hope this helps people. :-)

	- jiro
--

pukite@vz.acs.umn.edu (J. PUKITE) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May25.023910.8736@shaman.com>, jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes...

> [... deleted]
>	I'd especially like to hear from academia. What are the scientific
>uses of the DSP? Or is it an albatross? I think that a NeXT without the DSP
>is like castrating it into a Mac, but what can we use it for? Can we
>explore some possibilities? How about the ten wackiest things to do with
>the DSP (no boring things like: fax modem, ECG recorder, powerglove monitor,

We have investigated some scientific applications using a
floating-point DSP in statistical computations and simulation.
Using an AT&T DSP32 we were able to achieve an average
computation speedup of 100 over a conventional 20 MHz 386.

For details see our paper in the Winter 1990/1991 issue
of Simulation Digest (a joint publication of ACM SIGSIM and
IEEE Computer Society TCSIM): "Digital Signal Processors
for Computation Intensive Statistics and Simulation", pp.20-29.

J.Pukite/DAINA
pukite@vz.acs.umn.edu

todd@appmag.com (Todd Day) (05/30/91)

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
%I hope following pointer may help your DSP library and applications which
%turns very useful for me at the beginning of my DSP experience. It is at

%	ivucsb.sba.ca

This machine no longer exists (it was "ivucsb.sba.ca.us").  I
move the files to an ftp'able site.  Watch for posting end of
this month.

--
Todd Day  |  todd@appmag.com