[comp.sys.next] BEST HARD DISK DRIVES

robertl@lotatg.lotus.com (Robert La Ferla) (05/30/91)

I am in the market for an internal hard drive for a NeXTCube.  My price range
is around $1000.00.  Here's my criteria in order of importance:

NEW
RELIABLE
FAST! (Both seek and transfer)
QUIET
PREFERABLY 1/2 HEIGHT.
PREFERABLY > 200MB

Please e-mail me:

1. drive manufacturer
2. drive model + specs
3. price
4. mail order / stores where drive can be purchased
5. comments (like: Do I need a special cable? etc...)

I will summarize this information for the net.  Thanks in advance!!!

Robert La Ferla
Lotus Development Corporation
Advanced Technology Group / NeXT Improv
robertl@lotus.com    NeXTMail spoken here!

fletcher@socrates.umd.edu (Charles Fletcher) (05/30/91)

I am making this a post instead of emailing since I want to take this
opportunity to thanks the net for the info I get and especially for the
HD information and set up instructions. My thanks to Izumi Ohzawa for the
detailed instruction to set up the Fujutsu drive, and to Rory Bolt for the
"formatter" (the check is in the mail.) Here is a summary of the drive
and my experience gettting it and setting it up:
>>In article <ROBERTL.91May30010658@lotatg.lotus.com> robertl@lotatg.lotus.com (Robert La Ferla) writes:
>I am in the market for an internal hard drive for a NeXTCube.  My price range
>is around $1000.00.  Here's my criteria in order of importance:
>           ^^^^^^^
	I went for the 780 M (680 M formatted) Fujutsu -- about $1400 (add
		another $280 for a two drive case and $?? for the SCSI cable)
	My order to Fast Access took two weeks-it beat my NextStation order
		by just enough time to take the drive, hook it to a Cube,
		format it, and fill it with files. It is now the primary
		drive (SCSI id 0) external to my NextStation at work. I
		configured the internal 105 to be the swap disk--my thanks
		to Mike Matthews for this info--which has sped things up.
		The only problem(?) is that the drive case is white not black
		(maybe I made the wrong order number, oh well where is the
		spray paint); neither is the SCSI cable, but if you get that
		from NeXTConnection it will be $5 cheaper and black.
>NEW
 ^^^ - Right out of the box even I was able to figure out the jumper
  	configuration
>RELIABLE
 ^^^^^^^^ - *Five(5)* year warranty, a main selling point to me.
>FAST! (Both seek and transfer)
 ^^^^ - I haven't got the specs but it ranks high.
>QUIET
 ^^^^^ - Whoops, noisy accesses, but I 'm use to an Optical Drive so it
	  seems quite to me.
>PREFERABLY 1/2 HEIGHT.
            ^^^- Full height
>PREFERABLY > 200MB
              ^^^^ - 680 Formatted!, But for less money you can get smaller
			Fujitsu drives- see previous posts.

Again, thanks to everyone for their helpful postings.

Charlie