[comp.sys.next] Mac Software on a NeXT ??? PLEASE!!

nates@sporobolus.NREL.ColoState.EDU (Nate Sammons) (05/28/91)

Hey,

		Anyone know if there is anyboby working on a
way to run Mac software on a NeXT??  I don't see why not, since
the 68040 is binary compatible with the other processors in the
680x0 family, and since someone already did it for the SPARC...

		PLEASE let me know if there is a way....

		-Nate Sammons
		<nates@Sporobolus.NREL.ColoState.Edu>
		<nsammons@Lobo.RMHS.Colorado.Edu>

6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Mark Dadgar) (05/29/91)

In article <15174@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> nates@sporobolus.NREL.ColoState.EDU (Nate Sammons) writes:

>Hey,

>		Anyone know if there is anyboby working on a
>way to run Mac software on a NeXT??  I don't see why not, since
>the 68040 is binary compatible with the other processors in the
>680x0 family, and since someone already did it for the SPARC...

>		PLEASE let me know if there is a way....

The problem is not technical, it's legal.  NuTek has claimed to have
cloned the Mac BIOS, and they are presently being sued by Apple.
Unfortunately, it'll probably come down to who has the bigger lawyers.
So, until the way is cleared to clone the ROM's in a way that Apple
cannot contest, we won't be seeing any Mac emulators.  Unless, of
course, you count add-in boards using purchased Mac ROMS.  An expensive
solution.

I do not, in this capacity, represent the views of NeXT Computers, Inc.

+-----------------------------+-------------+---------------------------+
| UCSB NeXT Campus Consultant | Mark Dadgar | 6600dadg@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu |
+-----------------------------+-------------+---------------------------+
|      Do you remember chalk hearts melting on a playground wall?       |
|      Do you remember dawn escapes from moon-washed college halls?     |
|      Do you remember cherry blossoms in the market square?            |
|      Do you remember I thought it was confetti in our hair?           |
+-------------Would UCSB write anything this intelligent?---------------+

timbur@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Tim Burnett) (05/29/91)

Both the Atari and the Amiga have Macintosh emulators. They both use ROMS
that were taken from used machines. There are third-party ROM resellers (which
I don't know how they get around Apple's license agreement, but they have
existed now for about 3 years).

What would need to be done would be to write some software that would address
the ROMS from the SCSI port, and someone would have to design the SCSI ROM
interface. This would not be a trivial job

I would be interested in talking to someone that would like to work on such a
project.  I'm a 6 year Macintosh programmer with a NeXT at home.

---------------------------
Matthew Huff

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (05/30/91)

Back in January, I believe, Dave Small (Owner of Gadgets by Small, inventor
of the Spectre CGR Mac Plus Emulator for the Atari ST) posted a very detailed,
lengthy article explaining all the problems with a NeXT-based Mac emulator.

One of the biggest problems was the fact that the Mac OS wants complete
control of the computer. Unix doesn't seem to care for that. Apparently,
in order for the Mac Emulator to work, it would have to kick out the NeXT
OS completely. Who wants that?

I remember reading that Gadgets by Small avoids legal issues with Apple
by not selling the Mac ROMs. Buyers are instructed to seek them elsewhere.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
	- Celibacy is a curable condition -

stone@triton.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) (05/30/91)

In article <15174@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> nates@sporobolus.UUCP (Nate Sammons) writes:

>Hey,
>

>		Anyone know if there is anyboby working on a
>way to run Mac software on a NeXT??  I don't see why not, since
>the 68040 is binary compatible with the other processors in the
>680x0 family, and since someone already did it for the SPARC...

Abacus Research and Development, Albuquerque NM, the same folks who brought
the ROMLIB stir to the net, are working on just such a product. They have it
up on SUNS, and the chief executive hacker tells me it should be a quick
port.
	Of course all Appkit Junkies will tell you this is the "wrong way"
to go, but for the meantime, it will be the definitive stop gap measure, and
perhaps quiet the "no-app-sayers".

andrew

||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||
!!	   Andrew Stone	            !!  two wrongs don't make a right   ||
!! andrew@stone.com                 <> 	      but three lefts do.	||
||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||<<??>>||<<++>>||<<-->>||<<==>>||<<++>>||

crum@alicudi.usc.edu (Gary L. Crum) (05/30/91)

In article <1991May29.174221.14752@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:

> One of the biggest problems was the fact that the Mac OS wants complete
> control of the computer. Unix doesn't seem to care for that. Apparently,
> in order for the Mac Emulator to work, it would have to kick out the NeXT
> OS completely. Who wants that?

A/UX (as of 2.0) runs Macintosh binaries on top of a UNIX kernel, and at the
last USENIX, Macintosh binaries were demonstrated on top of the
Mach operating system.  That is, it has been demonstrated that it is
not necessary to "kick out" underlying operating systems in order to
run Macintosh executables.  The support of AppleTalk and IP in A/UX
and the fact that those network protocols are available to traditional
Macintosh programs when running on top of A/UX is particularly interesting.

Gary

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.174221.14752@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
>One of the biggest problems was the fact that the Mac OS wants complete
>control of the computer. Unix doesn't seem to care for that. Apparently,
>in order for the Mac Emulator to work, it would have to kick out the NeXT
>OS completely. Who wants that?

You wouldn't need to kick out the NeXT OS completely.  You *would*
probably need to modify the kernel.

My understanding is that all recent 68k series chips ('040, '030,
maybe '020) have support for providing supervisor mode *emulation*, by
trapping the instructions that are used to enter and use supervisor
mode (like the 040 does with floating point operations it can't do in
hardware).  When a process without permission tries to enter
supervisor mode, a trap is generated and the kernel can do anything it
wants, including creating the illusion that the instruction worked.
One could create a software environment that was an entire virtual
machine, from the point of view of a given process.  It should be
theoretically possible to run a Macintosh in a single NeXTstep window.
It might even be possible with enough work to run mac apps as separate
NeXTstep windows, but I don't think it'd be worth the extra effort.
Something like Mouse-X (hot key to switch between screens) would be
just right for me.
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu

ernest@pundit.cithep.caltech.edu (Ernest Prabhakar) (05/31/91)

Callaghan) writes:
> >One of the biggest problems was the fact that the Mac OS wants complete
> >control of the computer. Unix doesn't seem to care for that. Apparently,
> >in order for the Mac Emulator to work, it would have to kick out the NeXT
> >OS completely. Who wants that?
>
> You wouldn't need to kick out the NeXT OS completely.  You *would*
> probably need to modify the kernel.

Ideally, you shouldn't even have to do that.  "MacMach" is, after all,
precisely a Mac/OS built on top of Mach.  Mach can run any number of servers on
top of itself quite easily.  Now, any Mach before 3.0 (Next runs 2.0, MacMach
is probably 2.5) will have some divergences.  If both NeXT and MacMach rebuild
on top of 3.0, it should be trivial.

Again, the real issue is licensing, not technology.  This issue keeps coming
up.  At some point, somebody with good brains and good lawyers will come up
with a solution.  Until then, let's just sit tight.

	-- Ernie P.
--
Ernest N. Prabhakar                  Caltech High Energy Physics
CaJUN President        NeXTMail:ernest@pundit.cithep.caltech.edu