[comp.sys.next] Pixar...panic!

frederic@leland.Stanford.EDU (Frederic Chalot) (05/30/91)

When returning home yesterday night after the splendid demo of RenderMan
by Ray Davis at NeXT in Redwood City, I had the bad surprise to find my
slab with the Login window covered by a System Panic window which was saying:

    panic: (Cpu 0) zalloc
    NeXt ROM Monitor 2.2 v63
    panic: NeXT Mach 2.0: Wed Nov 21 12:46:53 PST 1990;
    /ph1_sources/projects/mk-100.1/RELEASE

    killing all processes panic: (Cpu 0) zalloc
    NeXt ROM Monitor 2.2 v63
    panic: NeXT Mach 2.0: Wed Nov 21 12:46:53 PST 1990;
    /ph1_sources/projects/mk-100.1/RELEASE

I answered "reboot" to the "panic" prompt. I got the usual messages "Loading
from Disk..." and "Checking Disk...". Then everything froze for a
second, and the boot procedure apparently started all over again, but
this time leading me to a relieving Login window. :-) Since then everything
has been working fine.

Could anyone tell me what went wrong? My system had been up for about a
week when this incident happened. Should I leave it on all the time, or
is it better to turn it off every night? Could anyone comment on that?
Is this kind of thing frequent? Has it happened to anybody repeatedly
yet? Any comments or suggestions are of course more than welcome...

Thank you

--
-+----------------------------------------------------------------------------+-
 |  FFFF RRR  EEEE DDD   EEEE RRR  I  CC        CC  H  H  AA  L     OO  TTTTT |

bcorrie@csr (Brian Corrie) (05/30/91)

frederic@leland.Stanford.EDU (Frederic Chalot) writes:
>When returning home yesterday night after the splendid demo of RenderMan
>by Ray Davis at NeXT in Redwood City, I had the bad surprise to find my
>slab with the Login window covered by a System Panic window which was saying:

[Details about problem deleted, I can't help with that one....]

Can you fill us in about the demo. Just what is the status of RenderMan on
the NeXT? What did they show?

                  Brian Corrie (bcorrie@csr.uvic.ca)
Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature,
volume, humidity and other variables, the organism will do as it damn well
pleases. Sounds like some of the code I have written......  8-)

nathan@jacobi.biology.yale.edu (Nathan F. Janette) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.221324.29395@leland.Stanford.EDU>
frederic@leland.Stanford.EDU (Frederic Chalot) writes:

>     panic: (Cpu 0) zalloc
>     NeXt ROM Monitor 2.2 v63
>     panic: NeXT Mach 2.0: Wed Nov 21 12:46:53 PST 1990;
>     /ph1_sources/projects/mk-100.1/RELEASE
>
>     killing all processes panic: (Cpu 0) zalloc
>     NeXt ROM Monitor 2.2 v63
>     panic: NeXT Mach 2.0: Wed Nov 21 12:46:53 PST 1990;
>     /ph1_sources/projects/mk-100.1/RELEASE

We have has a lot of this happening here in our lab since we upgraded the
OS to 2.0.  Even one of our new cubes with 2.0 pre-installed has had these
crashes about once a week.  There usually was one NFS error line above the
first panic line.

We rebuilt all the disks from scratch and upgraded to 2.1, which seems to
have cleared the problem.  Except for one cube that just crashed yesterday,
even after the rebuild/upgrade; it's a rather old cube...

--
Nathan Janette
nathan@jacobi.biology.yale.edu