[comp.sys.next] Finnish Keyboard

robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) (05/31/91)

I was showing my NeXT to some Finnish friends this week and I couldn't find
a Finnish keyboard in Preferences.  I am running 2.0 and I haven't checked
2.1.  Is there a Finnish keyboard mapping available?  Is the Finnish keyboard
similar to another keyboard?

Robert La Ferla
Lotus Development Corporation
Advanced Technology Group / NeXT Improv
robertl@lotus.com

d89cb@efd.lth.se (Christian Brunschen) (05/31/91)

In article <ROBERTL.91May30184849@bucsf.bu.edu> robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) writes:
>I was showing my NeXT to some Finnish friends this week and I couldn't find
>a Finnish keyboard in Preferences.  I am running 2.0 and I haven't checked
>2.1.  Is there a Finnish keyboard mapping available?  Is the Finnish keyboard
>similar to another keyboard?

While I do not own a NeXT (without an edu discount I can't afford one,
and we don't get edu discounts in Sweden -- Hello NeXT Inc.!), I do know
that the Finnish Keyboard is to my knowledge exactly the same as the Swedish
keyboard. So, try to find the Swedish keyboard -- if you find it, your
problems are most likely solved.

>Robert La Ferla
>Lotus Development Corporation
>Advanced Technology Group / NeXT Improv
>robertl@lotus.com

//Christian

--
+----------------------------------+------------------------+
| Christian Brunschen              |   SnailMail:           |

PPSTL@livid.uib.no (06/01/91)

>I was showing my NeXT to some Finnish friends this week and I couldn't find
>a Finnish keyboard in Preferences.  I am running 2.0 and I haven't checked
>2.1.  Is there a Finnish keyboard mapping available?  Is the Finnish keyboard
>similar to another keyboard?

While I do not own a NeXT (without an edu discount I can't afford one,
and we don't get edu discounts in Sweden -- Hello NeXT Inc.!), I do know
that the Finnish Keyboard is to my knowledge exactly the same as the Swedish
keyboard. So, try to find the Swedish keyboard -- if you find it, your
problems are most likely solved.

>Robert La Ferla
>Lotus Development Corporation
>Advanced Technology Group / NeXT Improv
>robertl@lotus.com

//Christian

--
+----------------------------------+------------------------+
| Christian Brunschen              |   SnailMail:           |
| Internet : d89cb@efd.lth.se      |   Husmansv{gen 26      |
| IRC      : snooker               |   S - 222 38 Lund      |
| Phone #  : +46 46 131984         |   Sweden               |
+----------------------------------+------------------------+
| Unix is a registered bell of AT&T trademark laboratories. |
| All above mentioned opinions are (c) Christian Brunschen, |
| unless otherwise stated. Feel free to copy & distribute.  |

Well, I just upgraded to 2.1 and am looking in the preferences panel...
Nope, no Swedish or Finnish keyboard (or Norwegian for that matter :-)
There is however, a neat app called keyboard in Demos which allows
you to define your own keyboard layout and switch between them on
the fly - pretty neat.  If only the NeXT keys could be replaced like
on an IBM...

As I recall, all the Swedish characters are there (and Icelandic,
Norse, and I assume Finnish :-) so you can set it up exactly like you
want.  Now all I need is a Norwegian Websters ;-)

Thor Legvold
University of Bergen
Norway
me@fiol.uib.no