[comp.sys.next] Making a Banner

rdd@wuphys.wustl.edu (Rakhal D. Dave) (05/28/91)

Is it possible to feed a continuous roll of computer paper through the
manual feed of the next printer and make a banner. If yes what software is
the best to make the banner. TOp draw, TeX?, draw, touch type ? How to
ensure that characters are not split up between pages. Would appreciate
comments. Thanks. Rakhal Dave.

Peter_King@NeXT.COM (Peter King) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May27.221939.1582@wuphys.wustl.edu> rdd@wuphys.wustl.edu
(Rakhal D. Dave) writes:
> Is it possible to feed a continuous roll of computer paper through the
> manual feed of the next printer and make a banner. If yes what software is
> the best to make the banner. TOp draw, TeX?, draw, touch type ? How to
> ensure that characters are not split up between pages. Would appreciate
> comments. Thanks. Rakhal Dave.

The NeXT 400dpi Laser Printer hardware does not support this.  The heated
rollers in the fuser would probably turn your paper into ash while pausing
between pages.  I wouldn't recommend even trying.

Peter

----------Disclaimers?  Always.  Everything's Subjective----------
Peter F. King	Developer Trainer	NeXT Computer, Inc.
USPS:		900 Chesapeake Dr.	Redwood City, CA  94063
Internet:	Peter_King@NeXT.COM

bstein@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Brian T Stein) (06/01/91)

Interesting that other people were going to try this.  I recently had to make
over 100 6' banners...so I called the good people at HP (I was using a III),
and they told me that NO hardware (laser printer) was designed to handle more
than the 14" legal size page.  This is obviously just in dealing with the
standard laser, as is the NeXT's.  So, that's that...the printer should give
you a paper jam message when it expects the end of a page.

Good luck.

Brian

--
 dlim  | bstein@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu