[comp.sys.next] X11

hakimian@tek4.eecs.wsu.edu (Karl Hakimian - staff) (05/29/91)

I have mouseX running on a NeXT cube. Everything seems find except I can't
figure out how to get the NeXT mouse to act like a three button mouse instead
of a two button mouse. Does anyone have any idea?

Also in the FAQ there is a reference to a color X server for mouseX. The
address given for this server is mfriedel@consult2.mines.colorado.edu.
When I send mail to this address it bounces. Does anyone know what the real
address is or where I can get the color server? thanks

--
Karl Hakimian
hakimian@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

iansmith@dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ian Smith) (05/31/91)

In article <1991May29.151312.15680@serval.net.wsu.edu>,
hakimian@tek4.eecs.wsu.edu (Karl Hakimian - staff) writes:
|> I have mouseX running on a NeXT cube. Everything seems find except I
can't
|> figure out how to get the NeXT mouse to act like a three button mouse
instead
|> of a two button mouse. Does anyone have any idea?
|>
|> --
|> Karl Hakimian
|> hakimian@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu
You can't (with the current implementation). A process is snarfing
the NeXTStep events off the window server, shoving them down a pipe to
the the X server then dispatching them to X clients.  Until NeXTStep
supports generating a button three mouse event,you are pretty much
hosed... however...

An adventurous soul might be able to hack the server source to do
something like what the old HP's used to do, ie. hitting both buttons
together gives button 3.  I really don't like this solution much, but
it would work.  You could look in the dispatching code (look for a
giant switch statement somewhere in $(TOPDIR)/src/mit/server/ddx/next,
I can remeber the exact file).  I would prefer hacking the keycode
table
to lose a keycode and using that as a mouse button.

If I get a few free minutes, I post the diffs.
ian

--
"Daddy what's regret?"
"Well son, all I can say is its always better to regret something you

howie@ivory.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.090550@dali.cc.gatech.edu> iansmith@dali.cc.gatech.edu
(Ian Smith) writes:
>  In article <1991May29.151312.15680@serval.net.wsu.edu>,
>  hakimian@tek4.eecs.wsu.edu (Karl Hakimian - staff) writes:
>  |> I have mouseX running on a NeXT cube. Everything seems find except I
>  can't
>  |> figure out how to get the NeXT mouse to act like a three button mouse
>  instead
>  |> of a two button mouse. Does anyone have any idea?
>  You can't (with the current implementation). A process is snarfing
>  the NeXTStep events off the window server, shoving them down a pipe to
>  the the X server then dispatching them to X clients.  Until NeXTStep
>  supports generating a button three mouse event,you are pretty much
>  hosed... however...
>
>  An adventurous soul might be able to hack the server source to do
>  something like what the old HP's used to do, ie. hitting both buttons
>  together gives button 3.  I really don't like this solution much, but
>  it would work.  You could look in the dispatching code (look for a
>  giant switch statement somewhere in $(TOPDIR)/src/mit/server/ddx/next,
>  I can remeber the exact file).  I would prefer hacking the keycode
>  table
>  to lose a keycode and using that as a mouse button.
>
>  If I get a few free minutes, I post the diffs.
>  ian

If this is running under 2.0, and gotten from Columbia, than it has already
been done.  Try hitting both mouse buttons.  It should generate a "middle"
button event.

/howie

delphys@ocean (David HOLMES) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.202222.5027@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
howie@ivory.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) writes:
> In article <1991May31.090550@dali.cc.gatech.edu> iansmith@dali.cc.gatech.edu
> (Ian Smith) writes:
> >  In article <1991May29.151312.15680@serval.net.wsu.edu>,
> >  hakimian@tek4.eecs.wsu.edu (Karl Hakimian - staff) writes:
> >  |> I have mouseX running on a NeXT cube. Everything seems find except I
> >  can't
> >  |> figure out how to get the NeXT mouse to act like a three button mouse
> >  instead
> >  |> of a two button mouse. Does anyone have any idea?
> >  You can't (with the current implementation). A process is snarfing
..
> >  ian

The third button does in fact work...

> If this is running under 2.0, and gotten from Columbia, than it has already
> been done.  Try hitting both mouse buttons.  It should generate a "middle"
> button event.
>
> /howie

make sure that you have the Menu Button enabled under the Mouse section of
Preferences

                       -david

David Holmes	McGill University-Computing Centre-UNIX Support Group