[comp.sys.next] dwrite snooping

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (05/31/91)

Can someone send me or post the instructions on how to extract all the
drwite'able options in an application and their defaults for 2.0?
Thanks.

Mark Adler
madler@tybalt.caltech.edu

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (05/31/91)

    Can someone send me or post the instructions on how to extract all the
    drwite'able options in an application and their defaults for 2.0?

start the application under gdb, and then try the following sequence of
commands:
    break  *0x500976a
    commands 1
    silent
    printf "%s: ", *$a2
    output {char *}(4+$a2)
    echo \n
    cont
    end
    run
--

                                             .mike.

guru@buhub.bradley.edu (Jerry Whelan) (05/31/91)

In article <mdixon.675651134@thelonius> mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes:

-}     Can someone send me or post the instructions on how to extract all the
-}     drwite'able options in an application and their defaults for 2.0?
-}
-} start the application under gdb, and then try the following sequence of
-} commands:
-}     break  *0x500976a
-}     commands 1
-}     silent
-}     printf "%s: ", *$a2
-}     output {char *}(4+$a2)
-}     echo \n
-}     cont
-}     end
-}     run

	This should definetly be in the FAQ, I can never remember it when
I need it.
	"I'm not sure what I mean, so I'm going to listen to what I say."
 guru@ (buhub.bradley.edu || bucc1.bradley.edu) || whelan@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (06/02/91)

In article <mdixon.675651134@thelonius> mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) writes:
>start the application under gdb, and then try the following sequence of
>commands:
>    break  *0x500976a
>    commands 1
>    silent
>    printf "%s: ", *$a2
>    output {char *}(4+$a2)
>    echo \n
>    cont
>    end
>    run
>--

When I run this, each default is printed twice.  By giving "cont" an argument
of 2, repeated output is prevented:

    break  *0x500976a
    commands 1
    silent
    printf "%s: ", *$a2
    output {char *}(4+$a2)
    echo \n
    cont 2
    end
    run
--
Art Isbell                 |\   |  HELP!  |    |  |   \    315 Moon Meadow Lane