[comp.sys.next] Optical Care

kheit@remus.rutgers.edu (KHEIT) (05/22/91)

Does anyone know where I could get an optical drive cleaning kit, and
also an optical disk cleaning kit.  (that is if either of these things
exist)  Also does anyone know how much it costs to get an optical
drive repaired at a university as a student when the machine is out of
warrenty.?
	Finally has anyone heard more about those new optical drives
from sony that store 1000 times more than the current cannon drives?
Or what and when the new optical drives from next will be?
	Thanx, John.

efc@athena.mit.edu (E.Celeste) (05/23/91)

> Does anyone know where I could get an optical drive cleaning kit, and
> also an optical disk cleaning kit.

Both items do exist and are sold by Mass Microsystems for their Cannon
optical disk (called the DataPak MO and virtually identical to the NeXT
optical drive). Mass Micro can be reached at 1-800-522-7979 or 408-522-1200.

...Eric
Eric Celeste / MIT Libraries / efc@athena.mit.edu

tjb@IceCube.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (05/29/91)

In article <1991May23.020201.1662@athena.mit.edu> efc@athena.mit.edu
(E.Celeste) writes:
> > Does anyone know where I could get an optical drive cleaning kit, and
> > also an optical disk cleaning kit.
>
> Both items do exist and are sold by Mass Microsystems for their Cannon
> optical disk (called the DataPak MO and virtually identical to the NeXT
> optical drive). Mass Micro can be reached at 1-800-522-7979 or 408-522-1200.
>
> ...Eric
> --
> Eric Celeste / MIT Libraries / efc@athena.mit.edu

Disclaimer:  I'm doing this all from memory because I forgot my notes at work.

I called Mass Micro and talked with Sherri who was very helpful.  The DataPak
MO "Maintenance Kit" includes:

          (2) OD Head Cleaning Cartridges
          (2) OD Filters
          (1) OD Disk Cleaning Kit

Sherri said it costs $159 from Mass Micro, but she also referred me to
MacWarehouse.  A quick call to them (I can get the number if anyone needs it)
revealed that they carry it for $125 with $3 for overnight delivery.  If I
remember correctly, NeXT's EDU discount prices for these items are
(respectively) $60 each, $20 each, and $10 each.  I called NeXT today and found
out that the OD Head Cleaning Cartridge ordered directly from them (no EDU
discount) is $95.  (No flamage toward NeXT intended:  they're a computer
company, not a OD Head Cleaning Cartridge reseller company.)

So, the MacWarehouse deal sounds great.  I'm ordering one at the beginning of
next week.  I'll letcha know...

tjb
| Thomas Baker                           Voice: (603) 743-4987      |
| P.O. Box 213                                                      |
| Durham, NH 03824           Internet/NeXTmail: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu |

tjb@IceCube.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May28.224743.3586@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu  (Thomas
J. Baker) writes:
> I called Mass Micro and talked with Sherri who was very helpful.  The DataPak
> MO "Maintenance Kit" includes:
>
>           (2) OD Head Cleaning Cartridges
>           (2) OD Filters
>           (1) OD Disk Cleaning Kit
>
> Sherri said it costs $159 from Mass Micro, but she also referred me to
> MacWarehouse.  A quick call to them (I can get the number if anyone needs it)
> revealed that they carry it for $125 with $3 for overnight delivery.  If I

Well, I lied and ordered it on Thursday and got it today.  The bad news is that
the OD filters are not made for the NeXT.  Mass Micro must do things a little
different because the filters are about half the size of the NeXT filters.  The
only (slim) possibility is that I can use two filters in place of the one NeXT
one.

My question is, has anyone, or does anyone have a NeXT OD head cleaning
cartridge?  How do you use one?  I could follow the instructions that come with
the cartridge, but the configuration of the DataPak MO are different, like
"Insert a disk cartridge while pressing the eject button.  A disk cartridge
will pop out immediately."  Is the NeXT manual eject button the same thing?  I
don't want to experiment to find out.

I would be much happier with the NeXT instructions.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/02/91)

In article <1991May31.235309.188@IceCube.unh.edu> tjb@IceCube.unh.edu  (Thomas
J. Baker) writes:
> My question is, has anyone, or does anyone have a NeXT OD head cleaning
> cartridge?  How do you use one?  I could follow the instructions that come
with
> the cartridge, but the configuration of the DataPak MO are different, like
> "Insert a disk cartridge while pressing the eject button.  A disk cartridge
> will pop out immediately."  Is the NeXT manual eject button the same thing?
> I don't want to experiment to find out.

	I believe Mass Micro uses the Canon MO drive. If so, the eject button is under
firmware control, i.e. it is not a physical eject button. If so, then pressing
the NeXT's manual eject button may not do what you want. :-(

   - jiro nakamura
     jiro@shaman.com

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com