[comp.sys.next] IAQ: Power-up Preferences

travis@halfdome.UUCP (Ward C. Travis) (06/02/91)

Ok, perhaps I was confused. Remember, I was the one who thought
that his system stopped displaying the "Power/Startup Device" button
after securing the workstation. Now I am told that this behavior is
based on the system board configuration; that many NeXTstations
shipped before early April simply cannot reboot themselves after
power failures. So I must have been confused, my system must have
never displayed the button in the first place. Mine arrived March 2nd
or so.

Two questions:

  Will NeXT consider swapping up to give me this feature? I can
  make enough use of it, what with noisy power here in Pittsburgh,
  to make it worth pursuing. The power goes out here at least once

  every fortnight due to summer storms. I thought that if existing

  boards need only be rejumpered/FCO'd to make this work, perhaps I

  could get a boardswap or have service do the FCO.

  How can I determine the board revision? I expect the answer is,
  open the box and read it off the PCB. How does opening the box
  affect my warranty? (OK, 2.5 questions, I admit it)

Thanks,
-wt   reply-to:  orac!halfdome!travis@cert.sei.cmu.edu    or
                 halfdome!travis@orac.pgh.pa.us

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/02/91)

In article <9106011825.AA01359@.halfdome.uucp.> travis@halfdome.UUCP (Ward C.
Travis) writes:
> [Talks about the auto-power-on feature of newer workstations]
>   Will NeXT consider swapping up to give me this feature? I can
>   make enough use of it, what with noisy power here in Pittsburgh,
>   to make it worth pursuing. The power goes out here at least once
>   every fortnight due to summer storms. I thought that if existing
>   boards need only be rejumpered/FCO'd to make this work, perhaps I
>   could get a boardswap or have service do the FCO.

   If your power goes out that much, I'd say to consider getting a UPS.
A cheap will cost you about $300 and will tide you over smaller shortages
of power. UNIX machines, although fault tolerant to a certain degree, do
not like getting power cycled without warning. Your hard drives and
filesystem will appreciate this investment.

    - Jiro Nakamura
      jiro@shaman.com
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com