[comp.sys.next] WriteNow & FrameMaker

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/02/91)

In article <284856DE.68C0@deneva.sdd.trw.com> thomsen@spf.trw.com (Mark R.
Thomsen) writes:
> I suspect that in order to provide room for 3rd party folk NeXT will
> not push for higher-end page layout functionality in WriteNow.

   I'm personally very glad that NeXT bundles WN with the NeXT's. It has
much more power than most bundled text readers (such as the ones on the
Mac and PC). It makes writing on-line docs much easier. Eventually, RTF
support on the NeXT will equal or surpass WriteNow capabilities, but I
think this will be a while.
    Some folks have complained that WN is brain-dead and should be
unbundled. I say, find me a bundled word-processor half as powerful
as WN on any system.... (no, you can't say TeX! That's no fair ;-).
     What I'm personally very sad about is that NeXT dropped FrameMaker
from their package. I thought having FrameMaker was most excellent (sorry
Bill/Ted) for manual distribution because FrameMaker *does* have the power.
Oh well. I've since bought it and if a client needs to read my docs, I can
just give them the binaries without the authorization code and all's fine
with Frame, Inc. I don't know what Frame would do if someone put 2.0d on the
servers, though.... :-!

        - jiro nakamura
          jiro@shaman.com
--