[comp.sys.next] characters preempted by tip

taft@adobe.com (Ed Taft) (05/30/91)

Running tip as installed in the 2.1 release, I find that the ^A and ^P
characters are preempted by the "raise" and "force" tip functions. Setting
the !raise parameter appears not to have any effect (!raise is the default
setting anyway). There is apparently not an analogous !force setting.

I suppose I can set the raise and force functions to be characters I rarely
use. But I would prefer to turn them off altogether. Does anyone know how to
accomplish this?

Ed Taft      taft@adobe.com      ...decwrl!adobe!taft

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (06/02/91)

Ed Taft writes
> Running tip as installed in the 2.1 release, I find that the ^A and ^P
> characters are preempted by the "raise" and "force" tip functions. Setting
> the !raise parameter appears not to have any effect (!raise is the default
> setting anyway). There is apparently not an analogous !force setting.
>
> I suppose I can set the raise and force functions to be characters I rarely
> use. But I would prefer to turn them off altogether. Does anyone know how to
> accomplish this?

There are two kinds of options in "tip".  One is a toggle sort of option,
where you just set it or !unset it.  The other is a "variable" that takes
a value.  "raise" is a toggle, and it defaults to off, but you can toggle
it during the session by typing the "raisechar".  What you want to do is
to change the value of "raisechar", not to turn off "raise".

Once connected with tip, type <cr>~s (carriage return, tilde, s) and you
will get the "[set]" prompt.  Type "raisechar=<cr>" (type "raise=" and hit
return).  Do the analogous thing for "force".  That should do the trick.

You can also set these as defaults in your .tiprc file as follows:

raisechar=
force=

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

MRC@CAC.Washington.EDU (Mark Crispin) (06/03/91)

In article <515@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>Ed Taft writes
>> I suppose I can set the raise and force functions to be characters I rarely
>> use. But I would prefer to turn them off altogether. Does anyone know how to
>> accomplish this?
>You can also set these as defaults in your .tiprc file as follows:
>raisechar=
>force=

Ed said he wanted to turn them off altogether.  The .tiprc file trick
does *NOT* turn them off.  It sets those bloody characters to NUL.

I am rapidly becoming fed up with tip.  Not only does it have these
two bogons, it also seems to be impossible to turn off XON/XOFF
handling or get 8-bit transparency.  At least if it is possible, it's
unknown to me and our local UNIX gurus.  The alleged tip function to
turn off parity handling is equivalent to space parity.

Kermit works better, but it has its own annoyances.  I'm getting
tempted to write a new program, although I feel a bit reluctant to
inflict Yet Another Telnet-to-TTY program on the world.  Has anyone
written the ultimate dial program?

-- DoD#105