[comp.sys.next] Optical drives

birenboi@malibu.aero.org (Aaron Birenboim) (08/02/89)

I'm looking at optical storage media for a PC.  I've seen ads for
PC flopticals, the drives run about $8000.00 and the disks are
about $250.00.  What gives?!  I don't own a next, or know much
about the prices, but word on the street is that an extra
floptical runs about $1500 when you buy the machine.  I think
even an expensive controler card could be $1000 more.  Why are
these PC flopticals so expensive?  Is Sony ( or whoever makes the
NeXT flopricals) making this media for other machines?  If so
where do I find out.  The above prices are rediculous, compared
to the NeXT, even allowing for the educational institution discount.

Aaron "The Lumberjack" Birenboim             |  "I'm a ramblin' wreck,
                                             |       headed to :
         GO TROJANS!!                        |
 birenboi%malibu.aero.org@aerospace.aero.org |      GEORGIA TECH!!"

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (09/23/90)

Is NeXT going to offer the new Canon optical drives for the NeXT?  I
heard that they were suppose to be 512Megs with a 32ms access time.
This is probably a better investment than a hard disk.

-Mike

fjs@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Fernando J. Selman) (09/23/90)

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Is NeXT going to offer the new Canon optical drives for the NeXT?  I
>heard that they were suppose to be 512Megs with a 32ms access time.
>This is probably a better investment than a hard disk.

>-Mike

Is this drive even compatible with the  older one? Is it
available or just a rumour?
                                   - Fernando

vesper@kong.gsfc.nasa.gov (Greg Vesper - RMS) (09/25/90)

|> >Is NeXT going to offer the new Canon optical drives for the NeXT?  I
|> >heard that they were suppose to be 512Megs with a 32ms access time.
|> >This is probably a better investment than a hard disk.
|>
|> >-Mike
|> >
|> Is this drive even compatible with the  older one? Is it
|> available or just a rumour?
|>                                    - Fernando

Could someone at NeXT please respond to this thread.  I believe the commitment
NeXT made to optical technology was an excellent one.  I hope they have not
abandoned OD's in favor of floppies and hard disks.  Once perfected, OD's hold
lots of promise.  I would hope that the new Canon optical will be made availalbe
at least optionally.
--
Gregory W. Vesper

Goddard Space Flight Center
--
Gregory W. Vesper

Goddard Space Flight Center

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (09/28/90)

The official price list and catalog makes no mention of a higher-density
nor faster optical drive.

--
Edward Jung
Microsoft Corp.

My opinions do not reflect any policy of my employer.

ratshana@triton.unm.edu (R.L.) (06/03/91)

I'm VERY new to the NeXT world (ie. I don't own one yet, but am considering
purchasing one when I go off to college in a few months). But, I picked up a
copy of NeXT world, and was reading about a double sided (and a single sided)
rewritable optical drive. It had like 580 megs, and the disks cost $80.

Does anyone know how much these drives cost, how reliable they are, and where
I might find one?

Thanks!

-Mike Neuman
mcn@cmns.think.com