[comp.sys.next] Mathematica Availablitiy

ernest@pundit.cithep.caltech.edu (Ernest Prabhakar) (06/03/91)

Allan Streib writes
writes:
>  [ Mathematica is free on the NeXTs. ]
>
> I don't think this is true any longer.  I ordered a NexTStation with
> extended release OS in February, as an educational buyer.  I didn't get
> Mathematica.
>
> -Allan

No, that's a different problem.

1)  All Educational buyers are entitled to use Mathematica
In particular, we are entitled to use v1.2 (and 2.0 when it comes).
Non-educational people who bought NextStep 1.0 are also entitled to
Mathematica.

2)  NeXT did NOT ship version 1.2 with NextStep 2.0, because they expected v2.0
to be out "any day now".  Current projection is for mid-June.

3)  In the meantime, we can copy 1.2, which works fine.  It takes some work to
get the help files to work properly, though.

4)  When Mathematica 2.0 comes out, NeXT will ship to all registered
Educational buyers.  Those of us who upgraded from 1.0 are also entitled to
Common Lisp, and I think some database which may or may not be Sybase.

So, *YES* Mathematica is still bundled with EduNeXTs.  At least, the license
is, though the software itself is a bit more ephemeral.  Bug your local NeXT
rep if you have trouble getting it.

	-- Ernie P.
--
Ernest N. Prabhakar                  Caltech High Energy Physics
CaJUN President        NeXTMail:ernest@pundit.cithep.caltech.edu