[comp.sys.next] Communicae -- anyone used it?

beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (James Beauchamp) (06/03/91)

I am looking for a terminal emulator package to work with a modem and ran
across 'Communicae 2.0' in the NeXT vendor list. Evidentally, it emulates
VT100 and Tek4040/14 and does file transfers including Kermit. I would
appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with this package.

Jim Beauchamp	j-beauchamp@uiuc.edu

jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun2.201754.15731@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> beaucham@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
(James Beauchamp) writes:
> I am looking for a terminal emulator package to work with a modem and ran
> across 'Communicae 2.0' in the NeXT vendor list. Evidentally, it emulates
> VT100 and Tek4040/14 and does file transfers including Kermit. I would
> appreciate hearing from anyone who has had experience with this package.

Communicae has a number of strong points. It is a good terminal emulator and
is reasonably flexible. It has one major drawback however.  It does not
use the AppKit. Apparently it is written in ANSI C. The menus, windows,
etc. are bit maps, hard-coded into Communicae. This means that it doesn't
follow the NeXT interface guidelines in a number of ways, which can be
annoying at times.

Jim Mann                                      jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com
Stratus Computer

   Not since Cromwell's troops, their puritan sensibilities offended by beauty,
   went around smashing decorative art in churches has there been an act
   of folly  comparable  to the abandonment and destruction of Forbes Field,
   the Pirates' home for generations.
                            --  George F. Will, from Men at Work: The Craft of
Baseball