[comp.sys.next] Using Old Drive

anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (06/04/91)

Get ready for another (maybe harebrained) scheme.  Summer is
NeXT improvement time.  At the moment it's a Bland Cube with
OD and 330MB hd and 8MB of memory.  It has its 040 upgrade
and 2.0 upgrade installed.

Next, it needs more memory.  OK, I'll do that.
Also, it needs a floppy (ugh).  OK, I'll do that (ugh).
Then, it needs a bigger HD.  OK, I'll do that.

It's the HD question that prompts this posting.  I'm going
to take out the 330, because I can (I think) use it in a
projected new DOS machine that may happen soon.

I've heard that the Fujitsu drives are factory formatted at
512 bytes/sector and that they must be 1024 bytes/sector to
work in the NeXT.  The "how-to" on that is around somewhere,
which I can look up.

But my questions are really about the 330 that's to come
out.  My source tells me to be sure to reformat it to 512
bytes/sector *before* removing it from the NeXT, because I
won't be able to do a low-level format in the DOS machine
it's going into.

Strike any bells with anyone?  Anyone actually done anything
like that?  My hardware guy tells me that the SCSI
controllers for the DOS machines should otherwise be able to
work just fine with the drive.

Confirmations or caveats quite cheerfully received.  Summary
promised if useful.

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

In article <1991Jun3.204047.23779@macc.wisc.edu>
	anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
>I've heard that the Fujitsu drives are factory formatted at
>512 bytes/sector and that they must be 1024 bytes/sector to
>work in the NeXT.

Fujitsu "SA" drives are formatted at 512 bytes/sector; "SB"
drives are formatted at 1024 bytes/sector.  The hardware is
identical (as should the prices be).  Either will work, but
the 1024 version will give you more storage capacity and
higher performance.  You'll save yourself a lot of grief by
ordering an SB drive... don't count on the third-party
reformatters to do the right thing.

					-=EPS=-