[comp.sys.next] Memory for NeXTdimension

gmk@ucsc.edu (Gottfried Mayer-Kress) (06/04/91)

I just got my ND upgrade and am disapointed with the speed of the system.
We want to use it for an installation on global environmental problems at
the ARS electronica festival in September and so I think I need to get more
DRAM chips to keep the image display at an acceptable speed.
If I buy 32MB from NeXT that would cost me some extra 6,000$ which is
almost as much as I paid for the upgrade. Does anyone know if there is a more
reasonably priced source for the correct DRAM chips (N7011) out there?

Gottfried Mayer-Kress

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (06/04/91)

In article <16573@darkstar.ucsc.edu> gmk@ucsc.edu (Gottfried Mayer-Kress) writes:
>I just got my ND upgrade and am disapointed with the speed of the system.
>We want to use it for an installation on global environmental problems at
>the ARS electronica festival in September and so I think I need to get more
>DRAM chips to keep the image display at an acceptable speed.

Could someone explain what happens when there is not enough memory
on NeXTdimension board?
Specifically,
    Does it swap to disk the same way 68040 swaps to disk?
    Does it support virtual memory?
    If not, what happens when we try to open too many windows (buffered)?
    If it does swapping, is the swapping activity managed via 040,
	and that is why it is slow?

Thanks.

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu