[comp.sys.next] UI idea

burchard@math.utah.edu (Paul Burchard) (06/04/91)

In article <1643@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> I believe that any attempt to eliminate CLIs is barking up the
> wrong tree.  Often, a shell *is* the best tool for the job, and
> there's a lot to be said for the UNIX "tools" philosophy--build
> small modules that do one thing (or a few things) well, rather
> than construct behemoth "integrated applications" with slick
> GUI interfaces but limited capability.

Eric, I absolutely agree---but proposing GUI enhancements has nothing to do
with outlawing csh or forcing anything ``less functional'' on people.  On the
contrary, the idea is to make the GUI *more* functional, useful, and yes,
tool-oriented.  And, as Barry pointed out, better-integrated with the CLI
overall (this was in essence the one real criticism BYTE leveled at NeXTstep in
their big GUI report this month).

On several people's suggestion I picked up Kadobayashi's SystemWorks app.  I
like it!---it has a *really cool* graphical UNIX pipeline editor and monitor.
(It is very much in the prototype stages right now, though. I hope enthusiastic
users will help Kadobayashi-san work out some of the rough spots in the UI.)

SystemWorks has the potential to be more flexible than what I suggested, and is
a good idea in any case.  The main disadvantages of its approach relative to
the drag-and-drop scheme I suggested would be the extra screen space used for
monitoring the pipelines, and the lack of `generic functionality' (everything
must be explicitly scripted in advance).

Anyway, it sounds like this is something NeXT should be thinking about---I'll
let them know people are interested....

Paul Burchard	<burchard@math.utah.edu>
``I'm still learning how to count backwards from infinity...''

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/04/91)

I would just be happy with a version of Terminal that did correct
VT-100/ANSI terminal emulation.  Please don't dump more bells and
whistles into it before having fundamental bugs repaired (like the
scrolling bug you see in emacs).  I want a terminal emulator that I
can run the exact same shell in that I use on the other half-dozen
UNIX platforms that I use.

While these enhancement *sound* good, are they more *effective* and
effiecient than just typing the equivelent stuff at the keyboard?
Sure, I'm not talking about the "dumb-user" that want the whiz-bang
point-and-click, snarf-and-barf (cut and paste) iconic user interface;
I just want to get work done.

I agree with EPS, the NeXT I have gets used as a compatible UNIX
4.3BSD platform first, and a whiz-bang GUI flavored interface second.
It is didn't have a good base-level UNIX functionallity, it would just
be another macintosh.

louie