[net.auto] 55MPH-save gas?

das@cubsvax.UUCP (David Sassoon) (02/21/86)

   All this debate on the 55mph limit made me wonder whether
claims made by the "government" were ever verified.  I
remember that the lower speed limit had 'dramatically' reduced
gas consumption.  Although the original intention was to save
lives (which I think was well demonstrated) this second boon
resulted.  It would be interesting to see if the oil industry,
which is not in the best of shape these days to to the soft
market created primarily by a lower demand, start to lobby for
higher speed limits.

David

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (02/22/86)

>    All this debate on the 55mph limit made me wonder whether
> claims made by the "government" were ever verified.  I
> remember that the lower speed limit had 'dramatically' reduced
> gas consumption.  Although the original intention was to save
> lives (which I think was well demonstrated) this second boon
> resulted.
> David

Apparently David was not old enough to read newspapers in 1974.  On
Aug. 15, 1971, Nixon imposed wage and price restrictions which made
it unprofitable to produce oil and gas in the US.  Then on Dec. 18
he devalued the US dollar which really had the effect of making it
unprofitable to import oil into the US.  Then on October 19, 1973
the Arab oil producing states imposed a total ban on oil exports to
the US.  In January, 1974, US oil companies posted record profits,
lines at the gas stations were several blocks long and we were in
trouble.  After the 55 mph limit was imposed, the number of highway
deaths droped from 55,000 per year to 46,000 per year.  Therefore,
the limit which was put in place to help shorten the lines at the
gas pumps also reduced the lines at the mortuaries.

mjw@aluxp.UUCP (Michael Weber) (02/23/86)

In article <424@cubsvax.UUCP> das@cubsvax.UUCP (David Sassoon) writes:

>I remember that the lower speed limit had 'dramatically' reduced
>gas consumption.  Although the original intention was to save
>lives (which I think was well demonstrated) this second boon
>resulted.

Since I was awarded my drivers license just after the "National Maximum
Speed Limit" was instituted, I remember its details well.  It was
originally intended to reduce gasoline consumption due to the
artificially induced gasoline shortage at that time.  The emphasis on
the "life savings" effect of this act was used later (and still is)
to justify its existence since gasoline was once again readily available
and (relatively) cheap.

In my opinion the only reason this law remains in effect is due to the
considerable amount of revenue it generates for state and local
governments.  If 100% of us would obey this law 100% of the time for an
extended period the limit would probably be further reduced ;-).

Seriously, if you were a congress-critter would you find it easier
(i.e. more politically expedient) to increase taxes or save a few
additional lives?

Does anyone on the net have any information about the percentage of
various state and local incomes derived from traffic violations?
It must be quite high since every state has set up an independant
enforcement unit dedicated to monitoring the highways and byways of
the country ;-)

--

Regards,				AT&T Bell Laboratories
Michael Weber				1255 South Cedar Crest Boulevard

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (02/24/86)

In article <597@mhuxl.UUCP> smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) writes:

>...  After the 55 mph limit was imposed, the number of highway
>deaths droped from 55,000 per year to 46,000 per year.  Therefore,
>the limit which was put in place to help shorten the lines at the
>gas pumps also reduced the lines at the mortuaries.

(I can't believe I'm actually posting an article on 55 mph!)

55,000 highway deaths in what year?
46,000 highway deaths in what year?

The two numbers don't mean anything by themselves without any
reference to years.  Further, it is ridiculous to base conclusions on
two data points.  How about producing highway death stats from 1964 to
1984, together with the number of cars and number of highway miles
driven.

OK, let's make the assumption that highway deaths have declined
significantly since 1974.  Does this mean that 55 mph saves lives?
NO!!!  The decrease could just as well result from better driver
education, new bumper standards, higher seatbelt usage, safer cars
(consider how much better brakes today's cars have) or a number of
other factors.

The main effect of the 55 mph limit is to generate revenue through
speeding tickets.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (02/24/86)

In article <597@mhuxl.UUCP> smh@mhuxl.UUCP writes:
>>    All this debate on the 55mph limit made me wonder whether
>> claims made by the "government" were ever verified.  I
>> David
>
>the US.  In January, 1974, US oil companies posted record profits,
>lines at the gas stations were several blocks long and we were in
>trouble.  After the 55 mph limit was imposed, the number of highway
>deaths droped from 55,000 per year to 46,000 per year.  Therefore,
>the limit which was put in place to help shorten the lines at the
>gas pumps also reduced the lines at the mortuaries.

So what you're saying, then, is that the additional 9,000 drivers
would have consumed more gas had they been dead in a mortuary? Or
that a lower speed limit scared more drivers from driving?

"Oh my God...there's a 35 zone out there...I can't go out..." :-)

-dave "I'm not the David you're looking for" hsu
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

"Godzilla has been spotted in Sector 5!"

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (02/25/86)

In article <597@mhuxl.UUCP>, smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) writes:
> >    All this debate on the 55mph limit made me wonder whether
> > claims made by the "government" were ever verified.
>
>           After the 55 mph limit was imposed, the number of highway
> deaths droped from 55,000 per year to 46,000 per year.  Therefore,
> the limit which was put in place to help shorten the lines at the
> gas pumps also reduced the lines at the mortuaries.

Consider the following:

1)  The era of the oil crisis and the 55mph national limit was also the
    era that Joan (85mph speedo) Claybrook was running the National Highway
    Traffic Safety administration.  Her move to publicize high speed crash
    test results combined with more stringent safety regulations meant much
    safer and crashworthy new cars.

    lineup.  This reduced the average weight difference between cars on
    the road.  A collision involving two cars of similar weight is much
    less likely to cause fatalities than a collision involving one heavy
    car and one light one.

3)  Insurance data shows that most accidents occur under 40 mph.  It
    also shows that high speed limited access roads (like the Garden
    State Parkway) are amongst the safest.  The 55 mph limit almost
    exclusively affected these limited access roads, already the safest
    in the nation.

4)  Compliance with the 55mph limit has been very poor.  The average speed
    on the Garden State Parkway on my morning commute is 63-68mph, about
    the same as it was when the limit was 60mph.

---

I have no doubt that the 55mph limit had some effect on reducing the number
of fatalities, but I am certain that the number is much smaller than the
statistics would first indicate.  When you correct for the effects of safer
cars, increased seatbelt usage, fewer land yachts and minicars, the
comparison is far less striking.

My guess is that the government like to blame speed for highway carnage
because it is so easy to measure.  As long as police radar is accepted
in a court of law, speeding becomes the traffic safety measure of choice.
Why go after the wiseass kid cutting in and out of traffic, the leisurely
executive with a cup of coffee in one hand and a newspaper spread over the
steering wheel or the old lady who can't see well enough to keep her car
in one lane?  These rolling menaces are certainly more dangerous than
a competant driver doing 68 mph on a road built for 75, but guess who
gets the ticket?

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (02/25/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> In article  <7838@watrose.UUCP> tom haapanen writes:
> How about producing highway death stats.

1955	26,100	2.7 deaths per 100,000,000 vehicle-miles
1960	38,137
1965	49,163
1970	54,633
1973	55,511
**************** 55 MPH *******************
1974	46,402
1975	45,853	1.3 deaths per 100,000,000 vehicle-miles
*********** Light-weight Cars *************
1978	52,411
1979	53,524
1980	53,300
1981	51,500	3.1 deaths per 100,000,000 vehicle-miles
1982	46,000

The statistics are from some dusty almanacs.  The comments
are my own, but compacts and subcompacts have 3 times the
fatality rate of the rubber-wheeled tanks of the 60's and
early 70's.

kishore2@watdcsu.UUCP (K.Singhal - Systems Design) (02/25/86)

In article <424@cubsvax.UUCP> das@cubsvax.UUCP (David Sassoon) writes:

>   All this debate on the 55mph limit made me wonder whether
>claims made by the "government" were ever verified.  I
>remember that the lower speed limit had 'dramatically' reduced
>gas consumption.  Although the original intention was to save
>lives (which I think was well demonstrated) this second boon
> . . .
>David

Huh? I thought that it was the other way around!  Can anyone verify?
--
Sherman Lang
Systems Design Engineering

toddv@copper.UUCP (Todd Vierheller) (02/25/86)

Did 55mph shorten lines at mortuaries?    My guess is no.
Rather, the corresponding increase in gas prices encouraged all the
"Sunday drivers" to stay home.  That saved lives!  :-)

                              Todd Vierheller

lance@ubvax.UUCP (Lance Keigwin) (02/26/86)

As long as we're on the endless subject of 55mph and saving lives, I
thought I'd mention an interesting point Road & Track made years ago.
They suggested (with rather obvious tongue-in-cheek) that given the
increased time drivers spend travelling due to the lower speed limit,
perhaps one should factor in the shorter "life time" left as a result.
Using the government's own statistics, it was easy to show how far
more man-lives would be lost in extra driving time than saved in fewer
highway deaths, even considering the dubious conclusion that 55 alone
was responsible.

Lance P. Keigwin

hp@lanl.ARPA (Akkana) (02/26/86)

I once saw a plot of highway deaths per vehicle mile vs. year.
Unfortunately, I don't have the figures here (anyone have the
mile vs year statistics?) but the curve went something like this:

      deaths |-
	     |  - _
	     |      - _
	     |          - _
	     |              - _
	     |                  - - -
	     |                        - _  ... and so forth

	     |____________________________________
				  ^55 mph

I assume the hump around the institution of 55 is an artifact,
but it WAS there.  Just goes to show that you can say practically
anything you want if you plot the numbers appropriately ...
--

	...Akkana		akkana%cnls@lanl.arpa
	Center for Nonlinear Studies, Los Alamos National Laboratory

mrgofor@mmm.UUCP (MKR) (02/27/86)

In article <424@cubsvax.UUCP> das@cubsvax.UUCP (David Sassoon) writes:

>   All this debate on the 55mph limit made me wonder whether
>claims made by the "government" were ever verified.  I
>remember that the lower speed limit had 'dramatically' reduced
>gas consumption.  Although the original intention was to save
>lives (which I think was well demonstrated) this second boon
>resulted.
>
>David

	You have it backwards - the 55Mph limit was instigated as a result
of the Arab oil embargo in order to save fuel. If you think about it, it
should be obvious that slower speeds save fuel. After about 40mph, wind
resistance becomes the single most influential parameter affecting fuel
efficiency. You can make cars more efficient than others over an entire
range of speeds, but I fail to see how you can make it more efficient at
65mph than at 55mph. Face it - the faster you go, the more wind resistance
there is for ANY shape of car (up to Mach 1 :-)). The only way to do it
would be to change the gearing in order to make it happen that way, but then
you're not making the higher speeds more efficient so much as crippling
the lower speeds.

	All you people out there who doubt that slower speeds are more
fuel efficient, please post an article explaining just *how* that can
be so. Perhaps you're right, but it is counter-intuitive, and I don't
see how it can be true that faster speeds are more efficient.

--
					--MKR

When in Rome, do as the ancient Etruscans used to do before they
became extinct because of the things they used to do.