[comp.sys.next] macroing?

bill@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov (Bill Shirley) (05/31/91)

In the BYTE article on GUIs they mentioned NeXT's as well as
all X-Window/UN*X's lack of an easy macro fascility.  What
exactly is he talking about (I am as unfamiliar with DOS as
I can get away with)?

What exactly can you do with this macro fascility?

Can this not be done with shell "programming" and or
crontab in UN*X?

I can't imagine anything that is routine that I could
not find a way to automate in UN*X, especially dealing
with data file processing.

So can DOS (and others) cook a pie for you or what?

	-confused
     ____     ____       ____			Bill Shirley
    / ___|   / ___|     / ___|			bill@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov
   |_|      |_|ciences |_|			_______________________________
    _omputer     _      _			Opinions expressed are obtained|
   | |___    ___| |    | |___orporation		by a room full of immortal apes|
    \____|  |____/      \____|			with unbreakable typewriters.  |
  						~~~~~~~~~~~DISCLAIMER~~~~~~~~~~~

bedney@monolith.lanl.gov (William J. Edney) (06/05/91)

In article <1991May30.221109.4684@aio.jsc.nasa.gov>
bill@gothamcity.jsc.nasa.gov (Bill Shirley) writes:
> In the BYTE article on GUIs they mentioned NeXT's as well as
> all X-Window/UN*X's lack of an easy macro fascility.  What
> exactly is he talking about (I am as unfamiliar with DOS as
> I can get away with)?
>
> What exactly can you do with this macro fascility?
>
> Can this not be done with shell "programming" and or
> crontab in UN*X?

Bill -
For those of us interested in shell programming without the pain (i.e. in a
very NeXTlike way), watch for a product tenatively called ScriptWriter from a
company here in Los Alamos called Firstsoft. I happen to know the author very
well and it looks like it will be out late in the 3rd quarter.

--
- Bill Edney
- Los Alamos National Laboratory

"I don't speak for my employer and they don't speak for me. Kind of a nice
arrangement."