[comp.sys.next] Check your /usr/adm/messages file for SCSI errors

juan@bitnerd (06/05/91)

I would like to know if other NeXT cube owners are seeing SCSI errors as a
result of attaching external SCSI devices.  I have found that my system gets
intermittent SCSI errors when I attach an external PLI floppy (I do have the
floppy properly terminated, and I'm using a high quality SCSI cable).

The errors are recorded in the file: /usr/adm/messages, but errors in this file
are not normally reported to the user, so most users would never be aware of a
problem.  In my system, I get the following error about once a day when I've
got the PLI connected:

May 13 15:14:24 bitnerd mach: sd0 (1,0): ERROR op:0x2a sd_state:4 scsi
status:0x0
May 13 15:14:24 bitnerd mach: sd0 (1,0): sense key:0xb  additional sense
code:0x47
May 13 15:14:24 bitnerd mach:     SCSI Block in error = 0 (front porch)

To check your file for errors, use the workspace manager to get to the
directory /usr/adm.  Then double click on the "messages" file to edit the file
in which the errors are reported.  Look for any error messages that include the
keyword SCSI.

If you find that you have errors, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Please
send me Email with:

1) Type of system, i.e. cube/station, 68030/68040,
2) Type of SCSI device attached, i.e. PLI, exabyte, disk,
3) the error lines from your /usr/adm/messages file.

If there is a pattern, I will post a follow up article.
--
Juan Pineda
juan@apple.com

kenny_leung@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.172604.17856@bitnerd.uucp> juan@bitnerd writes:
> I would like to know if other NeXT cube owners are seeing SCSI errors as a
> result of attaching external SCSI devices.  I have found that my system gets
> intermittent SCSI errors when I attach an external PLI floppy (I do have the
> floppy properly terminated, and I'm using a high quality SCSI cable).
>
> The errors are recorded in the file: /usr/adm/messages, but errors in this
file
> are not normally reported to the user, so most users would never be aware of
> problem.  In my system, I get the following error about once a day when I've
> got the PLI connected:
>
> May 13 15:14:24 bitnerd mach: sd0 (1,0): ERROR op:0x2a sd_state:4 scsi
> status:0x0
> May 13 15:14:24 bitnerd mach: sd0 (1,0): sense key:0xb  additional sense
> code:0x47
> May 13 15:14:24 bitnerd mach:     SCSI Block in error = 0 (front porch)
>
> To check your file for errors, use the workspace manager to get to the
> directory /usr/adm.  Then double click on the "messages" file to edit the
file
> in which the errors are reported.  Look for any error messages that include
the
> keyword SCSI.
>
> If you find that you have errors, I would appreciate hearing from you.
Please
> send me Email with:
>
> 1) Type of system, i.e. cube/station, 68030/68040,
> 2) Type of SCSI device attached, i.e. PLI, exabyte, disk,
> 3) the error lines from your /usr/adm/messages file.
>
> If there is a pattern, I will post a follow up article.
> --
> Juan Pineda
> juan@apple.com
> --
> Juan Pineda

Are you turning off the machine and all the other SCSI devices before you
attach other ones?  That might do it.

kenny_leung@mts.ucs.ualberta.ca

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (06/05/91)

I got 21 SCSI errors when I hooked up an Apple Scanner to my Cube. I didn't
expect it to work, but I didn't expect SCSI errors during boot time.

MikeC

Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
	- Celibacy is a curable condition -