[comp.sys.next] Performance Monitor

gmk@ucsc.edu (Gottfried Mayer-Kress) (06/05/91)

I received many responses regarding my complaint about NeXTdimension
performance. I would be interested to figure out, what exactly I need to
speed up the system for the tasks I am interested in, i.e.
should I get more CPU memory or ND memory.

I have the Performance Monitor of R. Mongiovi, Version 1.0, 1989
and I thought I could use it to figure out what the load is.
But I guess I don't quite understand how to read it:
While I load a large GIF file, all other applications stop, literally.
Percent CPUTime User goes down! Number of Memory Pages doesn't change,
Disk Transfers go up, but we can hear that.
 Maybe someone could give me advice about how to use these tools and
tell me what I need to speed this up.

Gottfried Mayer-Kress

lee@pipe.cs.wisc.edu (Soo Lee) (06/05/91)

In article <16625@darkstar.ucsc.edu> gmk@ucsc.edu (Gottfried Mayer-Kress) writes:
>I would be interested to figure out, what exactly I need to
>speed up the system for the tasks I am interested in, i.e.
>should I get more CPU memory or ND memory.
>
>While I load a large GIF file, all other applications stop, literally.
>Percent CPUTime User goes down! Number of Memory Pages doesn't change,

When you are loading a program, it has the highest priority to be processed
and it is quite usual in multiprogram environment when most user programs
have the same priority(you can change it thru "nice" command). Then its
priority will be changed to share system resources fairly with programs
running at the same time.

>Disk Transfers go up, but we can hear that.

Since the CPU is tied up to processing DPS routines, and disk I/O to reading
GIF file, the bottleneck could be main memory unless you run some graphics
program like video editor. If this is the case, I believe, CUBE memory needs
to be expanded. On the other hand, If you are doing either animation or
running video images(make ND very busy between HD I/O and ND thru CPU),
you may need more memory for ND as well as that for CUBE.

> Maybe someone could give me advice about how to use these tools and
>tell me what I need to speed this up.

Right now, I'd like to suggest you to expand your memory on CUBE first.

Soo	lee@cs.wisc.edu