[comp.sys.next] XNeXT

flynn@pixel.cps.msu.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (08/16/89)

According to the 9/89 UnixWorld magazine, MIT has `completed a port
[of X] to the NeXT workstation. It will  be available soon at a nominal fee,
say NeXT officials.'

How soon is soon?
How nominal is nominal?  The mention of a fee suggests that MIT isn't including
it in the X11R4 release, unless MIT's tape charge ($300?) is what they're
talking about.

Please, no X vs. NextStep flames.
Patrick Flynn, CS, Mich. State Univ. -- flynn@cps.msu.edu -- uunet!frith!flynn

[Sorry; my pithy quote's tail engine has exploded.]

sacha@impch.imp.com (Sacha Gloor) (09/04/90)

Hi all,

In the near feature we intend to buy a 1 year old cube.
I have questions concerning XneXT (X11 for NeXT).

-  Is XneXT a commercial product ? If the answer is YES, what's the price of it.

   If the answer is 'No', where can i get it ? Any ftp-host ?

-  Is XneXT release 3 or 4 ?

Many thanks and best regards

		Sacha

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (03/12/91)

I've FTP'd the X11R4-2.0 release from cunifx (thanks to whoever fixed it
up), but I have some questions, having NEVER used X before. These should
maybe be on comp.windows.x, but I'll try here first.

We're hoping to run X11 on the NeXT and hang graphics capable (well,
Desqview/X) PCs ethernetted off it. Will we get the NeXTStep interface on
the PCs, or, more correctly, what WILL we get on the PCs (no flames
please, I'm a complete amateur at this)?

On the PC end (I know, wrong forum...), will PC apps that use graphics
(ie. Lotus 1-2-3 rel3, Harvard, etc) display their output on a window on
the NeXT? Or will we only get command-line?

We'd like to have some kind of graphical interface betwen the machines,
but if we're only going to get command-line shell, it's not worth the
hassle.

Thanks,

-drin

mdm@wdl50.wdl.loral.com (Mike D Marchionna) (03/13/91)

ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:

>I've FTP'd the X11R4-2.0 release from cunifx (thanks to whoever fixed it
>up), but I have some questions, having NEVER used X before. These should
>maybe be on comp.windows.x, but I'll try here first.
>
>We're hoping to run X11 on the NeXT and hang graphics capable (well,
>Desqview/X) PCs ethernetted off it.  Will we get the NeXTStep interface on
>the PCs, or, more correctly, what WILL we get on the PCs (no flames
>please, I'm a complete amateur at this)?

Sorry there is no way you can get NeXTStep applications to display on a PC
running an X server.  Using Desqview/X on your PC's will allow any networked
client to display X applications on your PC.  This is assuming your network
is setup properly and you have set your X server to allow access from the
the host node running the X client application.  The only way you could
display NeXTStep applications on your PC is if you ran a NeXTStep server on
your PC.  As far as I know none currently exist.

>On the PC end (I know, wrong forum...), will PC apps that use graphics
>(ie. Lotus 1-2-3 rel3, Harvard, etc) display their output on a window on
>the NeXT? Or will we only get command-line?

This depends on what capabilities the supplied Desqview/X applications provide.
For example the standard X application Xterm is nothing more then a VT100
terminal emulator.  Assuming Desqview/X allows you run an Xterm that provides
access to the DOS prompt, (and I'm not sure that it does), the Xterm would
only support DOS applications that output ANSI terminal escape sequences to
standard output.  That means DOS apps. that directly modify screen page memory,
which is pretty much every useful application, wouldn't work.  If however,
Desqview/X supplies an X application that emulates a EGA/VGA/SVGA screen then
that means your DOS applications run within an X window.  Basically anything
that runs within an X window can be directed to display on any server in the
network that allows the client access to its X server.  As example say you have
networked a NeXT running XNeXT, and a PC running Desqview/X.  Any X application
that you run on the NeXT can be redirected to display on the PC by changing an
environment variable that specifies the node to draw to.  Similarly there should
be no problem setting a variable on the PC to inform the application you are
about to run to send its output to the NeXT node running XNeXT.  Assuming you
had a Desqview/X application that emulated an EGA screen called Xegados.  On
your PC you would probably end up doing something like this on your PC.

	C:> set DISPLAY  nextnode:0.0
	C:> Xegados

By running Xegados after setting the above environment variable the Xegados
application would try send X protocol packets to the X server on node
"nextnode" using graphics device 0 and the number 0 screen on that device.
Assuming the Xegados program can run your 123, windows, word perfect, et al
programs then you can get your NeXT to display it through the X window.
However, this is all rather silly since there already is a NeXTStep application
called SoftPC that lets you run PC applications directly on your NeXT.

>We'd like to have some kind of graphical interface betwen the machines,
>but if we're only going to get command-line shell, it's not worth the
>hassle.

If what you want is a common GUI running on both platforms then X is your only
choice.  If what you want is to have the same applications running on both
platforms then you would need to limit yourself to nothing but X applications.
If you just need to have PC applications available on both platforms you are
probably better off buying SoftPC and some network software to transfer files
between your NeXT's and your PC's.  If you want to run NeXTStep applications on
your PC's then your currently out of luck.

--
+--------------||--##--%%--@@------+--------------------------------------+
|El-Rayo-X-----||--##--%%--@@----->| Brain and brain!  What is brain!     |

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar12.212422.24081@wdl1.wdl.loral.com> mdm@wdl50.wdl.loral.com (Mike D Marchionna) writes:
>However, this is all rather silly since there already is a NeXTStep application
>called SoftPC that lets you run PC applications directly on your NeXT.

Not really. Even if displayed with X, the computing performance of a
486 remains higher than any SoftPC. It does not make sense to buy a PC
to run X on it to run it on a NeXT. It can make sense though, if you
have a PC-network server or something smilar, that you want to access.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (03/15/91)

    I installed X11R4-Next-2.0 on a 040 slab today, and it is very nice.
Even with only 8 meg of memory, it seems to run faster then X on a Sparc.

   1.  Would it be possible to make a mono (1 plane) version of it?  It
appears that the current version is a 2 plane "color" version.
Many programs use patterns on a mono vs different colors on color machine.
Since the colors do not always map well onto a 2 color machine, I would
prefer to just have a mono server.

   2.  Is there a program that will switch between the X screen and
NeXTStep?  I know about the Hot-Key, but would prefer to have a menu selection
in TWM to do the switch.  It seems that a program to switch back to
NeXTStep would be the easiest and most flexible way to do this.

   3.  xtrek and xtrekb didn't seem to run.  Xtrek asked "Who are you?"
while xtrekb just had a bus error.

   4.  xtank on our Sparc would not use the NeXT as a display.  This
might be because of the version of xtank that we were testing.  It seems
to only run on 1 plane X servers.

    5.  XNext doesn't support the Display postscript extensions that
DEC has added to their X severs that their client programs use.

   Xnext converts you NeXT into a X workstation.  (ie it takes over
the entire screen)  I think this is very nice for when I want to work in
X.

   I have not gotten coXist yet, but from what I have heard, it runs X in
a NeXTStep window.  I think this is a nice solution when I want to be able
to run one or two X programs, while still having access to all of the
nice NeXTStep programs.

   I think that the two programs solve slightly different problems.  Having
both would probably be the best solution.  (Disk space permitting)

Note:  I am not saying anything bad about NeXTStep.  I just like to have
the flexibility to run X or NeXTStep, or both at the same time.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/15/91)

In article <1991Mar15.052404.4117@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
       5.  XNext doesn't support the Display postscript extensions that
   DEC has added to their X severs that their client programs use.

:-).  That would surprise me, if added, because that's hard.  You might
argue that the machine runs DPS, right?  Wrong, because the server is a
port of MIT's and writes directly to the frame buffer - DPS doesn't
have a chance to get in there.

Maybe in the future Pencom (or someone) will come up with this.

      I have not gotten coXist yet, but from what I have heard, it runs X in
   a NeXTStep window.  I think this is a nice solution when I want to be able
   to run one or two X programs, while still having access to all of the
   nice NeXTStep programs.

      I think that the two programs solve slightly different problems.  Having
   both would probably be the best solution.  (Disk space permitting)

I would bet that you could loose alot by removing the overlap.  For
instance, if you want to have both mouse-X and coXist, you only really
need both servers and one set of clients - because the clients (by
definition) shouldn't depend on the server they're working with.  The
mouse-X server is about .5M, which I can afford (if I needed X, that
is - right now I use it to play xhextris, and that's about it :-).

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (03/16/91)

Somebody pointed out that the various X libraries are not available in
the distribution i posted.  I added these.   They are in the same
directory as the split/compressed distribution as "Xlib.tar.Z".

Howie Kaye				howie@columbia.edu
Columbia University 			hlkcu@cuvma.bitnet
UNIX Systems Group			...!rutgers!columbia!howie

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (03/16/91)

Sorry about all of this X stuff on comp.sys.next.

In article <SCOTT.91Mar15094732@texnext.gac.edu> scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.052404.4117@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>       5.  XNext doesn't support the Display postscript extensions that
>   DEC has added to their X severs that their client programs use.
>
>:-).  That would surprise me, if added, because that's hard.  You might
>argue that the machine runs DPS, right?  Wrong, because the server is a
>port of MIT's and writes directly to the frame buffer - DPS doesn't
>have a chance to get in there.
>

>   both would probably be the best solution.  (Disk space permitting)
>
>I would bet that you could loose alot by removing the overlap.  For
>instance, if you want to have both mouse-X and coXist, you only really
>need both servers and one set of clients - because the clients (by
>--
>scott hess                      scott@gac.edu

(actually, I don't even have enough disk space just to have 1 of the X's
on my NeXT. :-)

    DPS - I think that people might be misunderstanding my reason for
mentioning that Xnext doesn't support DPS.  I thought I might be able to
save some people the time it would take to see if it did support DPS.
The fact that it doesn't support DPS is not a bad reflection on Xnext,
just a lack of a feature that some people (okay, maybe 3 people) might
like. In my environment, it would be nice to have, but as scott correctly
point out, it would have been a lot of work to implement.

Since my last posting, I have received a number of requests about where
to get Xnext.

I got it from cunixf.cc.columbia.edu.  It consists of about 50 some
"split" files that you have to join together after ftping.  Then, cd
to where you want the X stuff, and do a zcat X11R4-Next-2.0.tar.Z | tar xvf -
I just followed the instructions, and it worked fine.

   I happened to have saved the message about how to get back to
NeXTStep.  Here is the important part.

	The version I have up on cunixf has two
	key bindings for this key.
	1) Command-Command-Keypad-*
	   (hold down both Command keys, and type the * on the keypad).
	   This is the same hotkey which mouseX has always had
	2) Command-Command-Delete
	   I added this one, because some people with smaller hands couldn't
	   reach the other easily.

	Howie Kaye                              howie@columbia.edu
	Columbia University                     hlkcu@cuvma.bitnet
	UNIX Systems Group                      ...!rutgers!columbia!howie

WRT xtank.  So that I don't get anymore email abouyt xhost.  Yes, I did an
xhost, and no, it doesn't fix the problem.

Now, for some more questions and comments about Xnext.

1.  How does one kill it off?  Yes, kill -9 does work, but there has to be
a cleaner way to do it.

2.  xmag doesn't seem to work correctly.  I think this has to do with the
way that xmag gets data off of the screen.  Both xmag on a NeXT, and xmag
running on a DEC3100 using a NeXT display had the same wrong image.

3.  I had a problem with tiling on the NeXT.  I think that tiles have to be a
multiple of 16.  (I found this problem when I was trying out a new feature
for my xmines games.  The released version of xmines has a slightly different
problem, but a non-fatal problem.)

4.  You might want to change the entry for gray in you rgb table.  In the
rgb that all X's use, the color for gray is 192 192 192.  As far as I am
concerned, this is wrong!  gray should be 191 191 191.  Without this
change, gray shows up a white!
    It's actually pretty funny.  The only screen that this really shows up
on in a 2 plane (4 color) screen.  a 1 plane screen works correctly, and
any screen with 3 or more planes will work.  Unfortunately, the NeXT has
2 planes (4 colors)

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/16/91)

In article <1991Mar15.212326.19805@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
   Sorry about all of this X stuff on comp.sys.next.

Well, it belongs (as now it's "how do I get X running correctly", rather
than "where is X"!)

   In article <SCOTT.91Mar15094732@texnext.gac.edu> scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
   >In article <1991Mar15.052404.4117@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
   >       5.  XNext doesn't support the Display postscript extensions that
   >   DEC has added to their X severs that their client programs use.
   >
   >:-).  That would surprise me, if added, because that's hard.  You might
   >argue that the machine runs DPS, right?  Wrong, because the server is a
   >port of MIT's and writes directly to the frame buffer - DPS doesn't
   >have a chance to get in there.

       DPS - I think that people might be misunderstanding my reason for
   mentioning that Xnext doesn't support DPS.  I thought I might be able to
   save some people the time it would take to see if it did support DPS.
   The fact that it doesn't support DPS is not a bad reflection on Xnext,
   just a lack of a feature that some people (okay, maybe 3 people) might
   like. In my environment, it would be nice to have, but as scott correctly
   point out, it would have been a lot of work to implement.

Sure, that's valid.  I didn't know where you were coming from :-).

   I got it from cunixf.cc.columbia.edu.  It consists of about 50 some
   "split" files that you have to join together after ftping.  Then, cd
   to where you want the X stuff, and do a zcat X11R4-Next-2.0.tar.Z | tar xvf -
   I just followed the instructions, and it worked fine.

If you really don't like to type, get it all into a directory and
copy/paste in:

cat X11R4-Next-2.0.tar.Z?? | uncompress | tar -xvf -

And it's all catted up and uncompressed.  OK, minor point, I'll admit.

   Now, for some more questions and comments about Xnext.

   1.  How does one kill it off?  Yes, kill -9 does work, but there has to be
   a cleaner way to do it.

The default .xinitrc starts up a single xterm session named login.
To kill off the server, you have the Quit that (use Control-leftbutton
to get the menu and choose Quit).  That will kill off everything.  If
you edit the .xinitrc file to get more stuff started up, then the last
command in there is the one that has to end before the server goes away.
I'd recommend putting in an xterm there - I've found window managers
don't belong there, in case you wish to switch in mid-stride (which
we novices like to do :-).

   2.  xmag doesn't seem to work correctly.  I think this has to do with the
   way that xmag gets data off of the screen.  Both xmag on a NeXT, and xmag
   running on a DEC3100 using a NeXT display had the same wrong image.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too.  Apparently it scales stuff incorrectly
or something.

Anyone ported xhextris, yet?  I'm addicted . . .

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad
<I still speak for nobody>
"Tried anarchy, once.  Found it had too many constraints . . ."
"I smoke the nose Lucifer . . . Banana, banana."

howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (03/20/91)

I have recently gotten cutting/pasting (of text only) to work between
mouse-X and NextStep.  I've put the binaries up for anonymous ftp in
cunixf.cc.columbia.edu:Xnext/Xpaste.tar.Z

This is a small file (32k), which consists of a new program (called
XNextPaste), some modifications to the /LocalApps/X frontend to work
with it, and a small README file.

Cutting and Pasting between X applications (ie xterm) and NextStep
applications (ie Stuart) should work invisibly.

Please let me know of any problems.

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (03/20/91)

In article <SCOTT.91Mar15175911@texnext.gac.edu>, scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:
> In article <1991Mar15.212326.19805@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>> 2.  xmag doesn't seem to work correctly.  Both xmag on a NeXT, and
>>     xmag running on a DEC3100 using a NeXT display had the same
>>     wrong image.
> Yeah, I've noticed that, too.  Apparently it scales stuff incorrectly
> or something.

This was one of the first things I found broken, back when I first did
things under 1.0.

Two possible reasons come to mind.  One is that xmag is just one of
those programs that doesn't like a 2-bit StaticGray visual.  This seems
doubtful, at best.

The other is that every version of mouse-X I've ever distributed
contains a protocol violation.  I was not aware of this until
comparatively recently and have not (yet) fixed it; I assume Howie's
distribution has it as well, because he hasn't said anything to me
about it.

What is this violation?  Simply this: the protocol does not allow
two-bit pixels on the wire.  They must be expanded with two bits of
padding.  (At the last X conference, Keith Packard said something to me
about their never expecting anyone to make a 2-bit display when I
mentioned this to him.)  It seems entirely plausible that xmag is
getting indigestion over this: my server advertises a pixmap format
with 2-bit pixels....

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

cristy@eplrx7.uucp (John Cristy) (03/21/91)

I copied Mouse-X from Stanford.  Everything appears to work ok, except
when I try to link a program with X11.  I get undefined symbols:

  cc test.c -lXext -lX11 -lm
  _XErrorFunction
  _qfree
  _XHeadOfDisplayList
  _Xdebug
  _XIOErrorFunction

Any help with this problem is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.
--
The UUCP Mailer

howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (03/21/91)

> I copied Mouse-X from Stanford.  Everything appears to work ok, except
> when I try to link a program with X11.  I get undefined symbols:
>
>  cc test.c -lXext -lX11 -lm
>  _XErrorFunction
>  _qfree
>  _XHeadOfDisplayList
>  _Xdebug
>  _XIOErrorFunction
>
>Any help with this problem is appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

This is because the global variables in the X libraries are
uninitialized.  So, the linker doesn't put them in the data segment,
but in another "Common" segment.  They don't get put into the symbol
table of the library.  Evidently, this is conformant with ANSI C.

To fix:
1) initialize the variables
	or
2) ranlib -c -s all of the X libraries.

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar20.210206.29985@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) writes:
>This is because the global variables in the X libraries are
>uninitialized.  So, the linker doesn't put them in the data segment,
>but in another "Common" segment.  They don't get put into the symbol
>table of the library.  Evidently, this is conformant with ANSI C.

This has nothing to do with ANSI C.  It has to do with how unix linkers
work.

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran Shtiegman) (03/22/91)

This is a pretty stupid question but does Xnext v 2.0 work
on the nextStation?

eran

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/24/91)

I'll ad my two bits of X-lore to the preceding discussion (and another
posting of Scott's and Zimmer's, re libraries).
1. There were 2-3 libraries missing from the release on calvin:
-rw-rw-r--  1 hardy      21942 Feb 20 10:25 libXPM2.a
-rw-rw-r--  1 hardy      34448 Feb 20 08:40 libXinput.a
-rw-rw-r--  1 hardy      20402 Feb 20 08:40 libXext.a
I don't know how important they are but ...

2. I recommend puttinf a
.xinitrc file in your home directory; here's mine:

-----
xclock -digital -fn LubB24 -geometry 330x38+0-0 -rv&
xterm -geometry 80x24+35+35 -title Shell -n Shell-iconic -fn courB14-rv &
xsetroot -bg DarkSlateGrey -fg White -mod 16 16&
xterm -geometry 80x24+0+0 -title Console -n Console -fn courB12 -rv&
xterm -geometry 80x48+345+0 -title Kermit -n Kermit -fn courB14 -rv -e
kermit&
exec tvtwm
_____

This way, when you kill tvtwm (from one of the twm menus, about which
later) X exists graciously. NB I don't get console output in the
Console Xterm (X is looking for /usr/lib/Xconsoles, a file which
contains only a *;  however it does not seem to work here).

Another observation: when you suspend X (with
Command-Command-Backspace) and reenter it, the twm menus don't show up
immediately; if I suspend it again and reenter, they behave normally;

But on the whole X-mouse is quick and behves more or less as expected
(my NeXT is at home, so I could not test its interaction with X on
other machines).
Twm (or its descendants tvtwm, etc) can be customized -- I snarfed a
.twmrc file from a Sun (since I am using Motif with mwm on my
HP-Bobcats). You can start out with the system.twmrc file and expand
the menus.

Cutting and pasting between X-mouse and NeXTStep windows also works correctly
Congratulations to the authors for a well-done job!

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

mouse@thunder.mcrcim.mcgill.edu (der Mouse) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar20.210206.29985@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) writes:
>>  cc test.c -lXext -lX11 -lm
[undefined symbols:]
>>  _XErrorFunction
>>  _qfree
>>  _XHeadOfDisplayList
[...]

> This is because the global variables in the X libraries are
> uninitialized.  So, the linker doesn't put them in the data segment,
> but in another "Common" segment.  They don't get put into the symbol
> table of the library.  Evidently, this is conformant with ANSI C.

Putting them in common is, yes, but UNIX has done that for years.  The
non-UNIXism involved is ranlib's not recognizing those symbols.

Another thing wrong with the NeXT.  This much-hyped "productivity
improvement tool" is rapidly becoming more pain than it's worth.  No
adb, broken ranlib, no etext/edata/end, no X (mostly fixed now),
deficient keyboard, the bletcherous new keyboard layout, the tiny
screen (really guys, Sun's 1152x900 is too small!)...what *didn't* they
do wrong?!

And such nice hardware, too.  All undocumented, of course, so you can't
replace NeXTOS with anything useful.  Grrrr.

jeremy@cs.swarthmore.edu (Jeremy Brest) (03/29/91)

In <1991Mar20.164422.10235@eplrx7.uucp> cristy@eplrx7.uucp (John Cristy) writes:

>I copied Mouse-X from Stanford.  Everything appears to work ok, except
>when I try to link a program with X11.  I get undefined symbols:

>  cc test.c -lXext -lX11 -lm
>  _XErrorFunction
>  _qfree
>  _XHeadOfDisplayList
>  _Xdebug
>  _XIOErrorFunction

You need to run ranlib (you need to be root) on the X libraries. Since
the X libraries contain common symbols (which I gather is unorthodox),
you have to use the -c option to ranlib:

	# ranlib -s /usr/lib/libX*

At least that worked for me.

Jeremy Brest
Jeremy_Brest@NeXT.com
NeXT Technical Publications

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/30/91)

In article <0PYZYPN@cs.swarthmore.edu> jeremy@cs.swarthmore.edu (Jeremy Brest) writes:

<>   You need to run ranlib (you need to be root) on the X libraries. Since
<>   the X libraries contain common symbols (which I gather is unorthodox),
<>   you have to use the -c option to ranlib:
<>
<>	   # ranlib -s /usr/lib/libX*
<>
<>   At least that worked for me.
<>
<>   Jeremy Brest
<>   Jeremy_Brest@NeXT.com
<>   NeXT Technical Publications
I also had troubles with libX11; I did bot ranlib -c  and ranlib -s
(as suggested).
Nevertheless, when trying to compile MITScheme with X included
(no problems without X, thanks to Bill Rozas), I keep getting the
message
/bin/ld: Can't locate file for: -lX11
I have tried symlinks to all conceivable directories,where the linker
could look for libX11.a: /lib/X11, /usr/lib/X11, etc.
The only reason I need this is to be able to use scheme's graphic
interface to X.
Does anyone have an easy answer?

And while I am on the subject of MITScheme:
Does anyone at NeXT work on fixing the emacs distributed with 2.0?
Everything works but run-scheme!

Greetings,

Hardy
			  -------****-------

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (03/30/91)

In article <HARDY.91Mar30015233@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
> I have tried symlinks to all conceivable directories,where the linker
> could look for libX11.a: /lib/X11, /usr/lib/X11, etc.

The linker won't find them there.  It *will* find them in /lib,
/usr/lib, and /usr/local/lib.  For librarys I install (like the f2c
fortran libraries), I usually install them in /usr/local/lib.
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (NeXT mail)

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/31/91)

Thanks to a hint from John Cristy I replaced the symlinks with a hard
link to /usr/lib, and schem,e now compiled fine;  I can now do
scheme-graphics on the NeXT.  Unfortunately, the xwd|xpr sequence does
not produce prints which are as good as the ones from gnuplot.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/31/91)

Thanks to a hint from John Cristy I replaced the symlinks with a hard
link to /usr/lib, and scheme now linked up  fine  with -lX11;  I can
now do
scheme-graphics on the NeXT.  Unfortunately, the xwd|xpr sequence does
not produce prints which are as good as the ones from gnuplot.

Thanks everybody for the help.

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

kwerle@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Werle) (04/02/91)

Thanks to all who gave me advice with the kermit problem.  Getting
V 5A and using the setuid did the trick.  I also grabbed a copy of
patch from uunet, and got it to compile with a little tweaking
(-bsd option for compiling).

Once again I seem to have a 'right's' problem...
OK, I have this real 'nifty' :-) X thing up and running... for root.
When I try to run it as anything else I get:
Fatal server bug!
no screens found
Everyone has read permission for all the X files, but only root has
write permission, so I suspect that it's either that, or that other
users can't grab control of the screen like root can (if that's at
all possible).
Help with this problem, as well as any documentation for Xnext would
be appreciated (I got none that I know of).
I hear that there's a 'hot-key' for switching 'tween NextStep and X?
If so, what is it?

Thanks again,
Kurt

howie@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Howie Kaye) (04/04/91)

In article <27F81F3A.26627@ics.uci.edu> kwerle@ics.uci.edu (Werle) writes:

>Once again I seem to have a 'right's' problem...
>OK, I have this real 'nifty' :-) X thing up and running... for root.
>When I try to run it as anything else I get:
>Fatal server bug!
>no screens found

chmod 66 /dev/vid0.

>Help with this problem, as well as any documentation for Xnext would
>be appreciated (I got none that I know of).

There is very little (if any).  Just some release notes.  There isn't
a whole lot to document, other than it being X.

>I hear that there's a 'hot-key' for switching 'tween NextStep and X?
>If so, what is it?

Command-Command-Delete, or Command-Command-Keypad*
(ie, hold down both command keys, and hit a delete or the * on the
keypad).

Howie Kaye				howie@columbia.edu
Columbia University 			hlkcu@cuvma.bitnet
UNIX Systems Group			...!rutgers!columbia!howie

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (04/14/91)

Does the present version of XNeXT work on system 2.0 and CUBE 68040?
Where can I get it from? Please respond by email. Thanks...Paul

Paul Nevai                            nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu (Internet)
Department of Mathematics             nevai@ohstpy (BITNET)
The Ohio State University             1-(614)-292-3317 (Office)
P.O. Box 3341                         1-(614)-292-5310 (Answering Machine)
Columbus, OH 43210-0341, USA          1-(614)-459-5615 (FAX)

patten@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian Michael Patten) (06/01/91)

I seem to recall that someone once posted that they had hacked
XNeXT to run on release 2.0?  If true, could this person tell
me how they did it.  I can't find the old post that had this info.

Also, does anyone know what the cost is for the co-Xist demo
from Pencom?  I've got an '030 Cube running Release 2.0 that
I can play with.  I want to try out various X implementations
before I decide on whether to buy a NeXT of my own.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
patten@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu                Future site of a witty, NeXT
Institute for Astronomy                         related quote or plug?
University of Hawaii at Manoa

wesley@cs.utexas.edu (Wesley C Smith) (06/05/91)

In article <13275@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> patten@uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Brian
Michael Patten) writes:
> Also, does anyone know what the cost is for the co-Xist demo
> from Pencom?  I've got an '030 Cube running Release 2.0 that
> I can play with.  I want to try out various X implementations
> before I decide on whether to buy a NeXT of my own.

price list for the current version of co-Xist:

                                Commercial      Educational
co-Xist                          $249              $149
Motif                            $100              $100
Documentation, X11R4 and Motif    $50               $50
all three above                  $379              $279

There are discounts for buying multiple copies and a site license is available.

A demo version of co-Xist is free and has been submitted for ftp on
nova.cc.purdue.edu.  I don't know yet what directory it will be put it.  If you
are unable to get it from the ftp site, let me know and I will get you a copy.

Wes Smith
Pencom Software
9050 Capital of Texas Highway North Suite 300
Austin, Texas 78759
E-Mail (NeXT):  pensoft!co-Xist_support@cs.utexas.edu
Phone:  1-800-PENCOM-4  or  (512) 343-1111
FAX:  (512) 343-9650