[net.auto] gas prices dropping where you live

colonel@ellie.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (02/11/86)

> > In the Denver area (at least Southeast Denver), prices have fallen
> > on average 6-7 cents in the last 2 weeks.  The lowest I have seen
> > leaded regular is 92.9 cents, while Unleaded regular runs just a
> > but over a dollar. (Today I paid $1.019 cash for a tank full at
> > Amoco).  (That is for a gallon, not for a whole tank.)
>
> Gas prices here have fallen off too.  I know that it is still
> expensive according to the rest of the contiguous 48 but the
> prices are great for NY.  regular  1.03
>                          unleaded  1.10
>                    super unleaded  1.17

In the Buffalo area, prices are 3-6 cents higher.  Moreover, much
of the gasoline here is heavily adulterated with methyl alcohol.
You could probably get rich by inventing a cheap kit for measuring
the methanol content of gasoline.  (I'd buy two!)
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

gwn@ihlpm.UUCP (Novak) (02/15/86)

> > > In the Denver area (at least Southeast Denver), prices have fallen
> > > on average 6-7 cents in the last 2 weeks.  The lowest I have seen
> > > leaded regular is 92.9 cents, while Unleaded regular runs just a
> > > but over a dollar. (Today I paid $1.019 cash for a tank full at
> > > Amoco).  (That is for a gallon, not for a whole tank.)
> >
> > Gas prices here have fallen off too.  I know that it is still
> > expensive according to the rest of the contiguous 48 but the
> > prices are great for NY.  regular  1.03
> >                          unleaded  1.10
> >                    super unleaded  1.17

In Chicago surburbia our prices are	regular  .949 - 1.039
				       unleaded  .989 - 1.099
				 super unleaded 1.069 - 1.169

Recently I filled up with the .989 unleaded and my gas mileage went from
30 mpg to 21 mpg.  My car seems to like the 1.029 gasoline, so from
now on I will be buying that gasoline.  I think the gas prices will
be going down even further.

	Gary W. Novak - AT&T Bell Labs @ Naperville, Il.
	!ihup4!gwn

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (02/20/86)

Recent news stories here (St. Louis) predict that pump prices for gas will
be in the 60-cent range by this summer. Therefore, the revenue people
are looking into raising gas taxes so that the present dollar-range
price might remain as-is, with the falling commodity price offset by the
increased taxes.

As a side question, do you ever see gas prices at any other price than
at <something>.9 cents per gallon? (Ignoring those areas where prices
are per liter or per some other quantity.) The only time I've ever seen
this was at a gas station in a National Park during a vacation in the
late 60's -- the gas then was <whatever>.6 cents per gallon. We asked
the pump jockey what the reason for the 6-tenths was, but he had no
explanation. That's the only time I've ever noticed anything other than
a 9-tenths price.

Will

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (02/21/86)

Last week in Denver 2 gas stations had a good old-fashioned price
war. At the end of the day, regular was selling for $.259 / gal.
(Unleaded and premium were not effected) Prices went back to normal
after they sold out. The owners of the stations said that they don't
plan on doing this again.

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!ihnp4!drutx!review

ebh@bentley.UUCP (Ed Horch) (02/22/86)

> [Will Martin]
>As a side question, do you ever see gas prices at any other price than
>at <something>.9 cents per gallon?

During the big Arab oil embargo in 1973-74, gas stations were charging
the absolute highest prices they could, which often involved odd
fractions of cents per gallon.  At one point, my dad and I had a con-
test to see who could find them all first.

-Ed Horch

mjb@utah-gr.UUCP (02/28/86)

In article <1137@brl-smoke.ARPA> wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) writes:

>As a side question, do you ever see gas prices at any other price than
>at <something>.9 cents per gallon?

The notoriously obtuse Utah legislature recently introduced a bill to make
pricing gasoline at anything other than whole cents illegal.  Of course, this
same legislature also introduced a bill REDUCING the distance headlights
had to illuminate the road, as well as the infamous "subliminal advertising"
warning sticker laws.

mjb.
--
No matter where I go, I get there late or come too soon!
 ... !utah-cs!mjb