[net.auto] Mustangs and GTIs a FLAME to net abusers from daw1

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) (02/26/86)

	Will you stupid idiots who quote *entire* articles please
stop? It's especially painful when an article of 70 lines or so is
quoted, only to add 5 lines of new material. And I really know you
are a dumb *&%#% when you leave the "REPLACE THIS LINE WITH..."
line in your article. If you don't know how to use the net the right
way, ask someone or read net.announce.newusers!

	Thank you in advance to all you knuckleheads who will never
ever do that again :-)

                1
              1   1
	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (02/28/86)

In article <601@mhuxl.UUCP> daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (Douglas A. Williams) writes:
>					And I really know you
>are a dumb *&%#% when you leave the "REPLACE THIS LINE WITH..."
>line in your article. If you don't know how to use the net the right
>way, ask someone or read net.announce.newusers!

Several points:
 1) This belongs in net.flame, and a polite *mail* to frequent offenders
would probably produce better results. Saying "you are a jerk" on the net is
not as likely to produce results as saying "there is a better way" in private.

 2) Some people leave "REPLACE THIS LINE" to avoid typing "food for the line
eater", or losing the first line of their message. I suspect that when lines
are no longer eaten things will get better.

 3) I completely agree with your comments about quoting more of an old posting
than is needed, and continued reminders will hopefully product improvement.
This applies to the whole net, not just this newsgroup, but if it were posted
to net.general on of the net.selfstyled.gods would probably condemn it is
"inappropriate to net.general" and quote the whole thing in doing so.
--
	-bill davidsen

	seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
ihnp4!              unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
        chinet! ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"It seemed like a good idea at the time..."