[comp.sys.next] NeXT Lab Opinions Wanted

prender@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu (05/31/91)

Hi.  Our research group needs to do real-time (or as close as possible) display
(grayscale-ish images) and 2D FFTs of 100+ x 100+ arrays of numbers, along with
standard 2- or 3D rotations of the generated images (basically all just very
fast (compared to DOS on 386s) numbercrunching and graphics), and I've drawn
the short straw on 'finding a suitable system' for the job.  So far, OS/2 2.0
(32 bit), SUN (and similar) workstations, and the NeXT Machine have all come
up for consideration.  I have myriad DOS (and related area) experience, but
nothing of consequence on the others, and so I'm looking for some practical
opinions of people actually USING NeXTs (or actually, ANY of the above systems)
in a laboratory enviroment.

The price of NeXTs vs SUNs and other workstations, along with the lack of the
infamous DOS 'features' (an 8-bit OS, 640k barrier; all that FUN stuff... :-)
is VERY tempting to us, but I have NO experience AT ALL with even SEEING a
NeXT run, and so hope to get some real nitty-gritty on the subject.  Anything
provided would be greatly appreciated.  As usual, EMAIL is sure to be read
but postings to this group should be noticed as well :-) ...

Thanks.

S Prendergast
OSU Physics
prender@ohstpy.mps.ohio.state.edu                 prender@ohstpy.BITNET

kenny@niagara (Kenny Leung) (06/03/91)

In article <10211.284573a0@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu>
prender@ohstpy.mps.ohio-state.edu writes:
> Hi.  Our research group needs to do real-time (or as close as possible)
display
> (grayscale-ish images) and 2D FFTs of 100+ x 100+ arrays of numbers, along
with
> standard 2- or 3D rotations of the generated images (basically all just very
> fast (compared to DOS on 386s) numbercrunching and graphics), and I've drawn
> the short straw on 'finding a suitable system' for the job.  So far, OS/2 2.0
> (32 bit), SUN (and similar) workstations, and the NeXT Machine have all come
> up for consideration.  I have myriad DOS (and related area) experience, but
> nothing of consequence on the others, and so I'm looking for some practical
> opinions of people actually USING NeXTs (or actually, ANY of the above
systems)
> in a laboratory enviroment.
>
> The price of NeXTs vs SUNs and other workstations, along with the lack of the
> infamous DOS 'features' (an 8-bit OS, 640k barrier; all that FUN stuff... :-)
> is VERY tempting to us, but I have NO experience AT ALL with even SEEING a
> NeXT run, and so hope to get some real nitty-gritty on the subject.  Anything
> provided would be greatly appreciated.  As usual, EMAIL is sure to be read
> but postings to this group should be noticed as well :-) ...
>
> Thanks.
>
> S Prendergast
> OSU Physics
> prender@ohstpy.mps.ohio.state.edu                 prender@ohstpy.BITNET

The NeXT has 4 gray scales on screen plus built in PostScript dithering.
the 68040 is capble of doing 15 mips and about 2.5 mflops, plus there is a
56001 DSP (10 mips) to handle array processing.  Plus, the NeXT is absolutely
the best development platform there is.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun3.024924.24036@cs.UAlberta.CA> kenny@niagara (Kenny Leung) writes:

   The NeXT has 4 gray scales on screen plus built in PostScript dithering.
   the 68040 is capble of doing 15 mips and about 2.5 mflops, plus there is a
   56001 DSP (10 mips) to handle array processing.  Plus, the NeXT is absolutely
   the best development platform there is.

You should probably add that Mathematica is free on the NeXTs.  I
think that it costs a small fortune on the Suns.

-Mike

streib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Allan Streib) (06/03/91)

In article <g47H#djl@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>You should probably add that Mathematica is free on the NeXTs.  I
>think that it costs a small fortune on the Suns.
>
>-Mike

I don't think this is true any longer.  I ordered a NexTStation with
extended release OS in February, as an educational buyer.  I didn't get
Mathematica.

-Allan

tgingric@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (06/03/91)

In article <1991Jun3.061504.18607@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> streib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Allan Streib) writes:
>In article <g47H#djl@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>
>>You should probably add that Mathematica is free on the NeXTs.  I
>>think that it costs a small fortune on the Suns.
>>
>>-Mike
>
>I don't think this is true any longer.  I ordered a NexTStation with
>extended release OS in February, as an educational buyer.  I didn't get
>Mathematica.
>
>-Allan

This IS still true.  Educational buyers will receive Mathematica 2.0 on
diskettes WHEN IT IS DONE!!  You can find the 1.2 interim release floating
around and educational buyers are allowed to load it up.  Check with your local
computer store -- they received a copy of the 1.2 diskettes (around the first
week of February).

-Tyler

gn@orbus (06/04/91)

> The NeXT has 4 gray scales on screen plus built in PostScript dithering.
> the 68040 is capble of doing 15 mips and about 2.5 mflops, plus there is a
> 56001 DSP (10 mips) to handle array processing.  Plus, the NeXT is absolutely
> the best development platform there is.

Interesting, for some reason the NYT last week (friday?) had an article
on the front page of the business section on the pursuit of the teraflop,
included in this article was a graph of relative mflops. It stated the
NeXT had 1.5 mflops.

I forget the source of the graph, has anyone verified the 2.5 figure?

-=-
Greg Noel
"Nothing Works, and Nobody Cares."     -W Allen

kenny@niagara (Kenny Leung) (06/04/91)

writes:

> >You should probably add that Mathematica is free on the NeXTs.  I
> >think that it costs a small fortune on the Suns.
> >
> >-Mike
>
> I don't think this is true any longer.  I ordered a NexTStation with
> extended release OS in February, as an educational buyer.  I didn't get
> Mathematica.
>
> -Allan

The reason that you didn't get Mathematica is that they are waiting for
Mathematica 2.0 to ship.

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun3.061504.18607@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> streib@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Allan Streib) writes:
>In article <g47H#djl@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>>
>>You should probably add that Mathematica is free on the NeXTs.  I
>>think that it costs a small fortune on the Suns.
>>
>>-Mike
>
>I don't think this is true any longer.  I ordered a NexTStation with
>extended release OS in February, as an educational buyer.  I didn't get
>Mathematica.

You should receive the new version when it starts shipping.  They did not
include the old version with new machines because it is not completely
functional.

>-Allan

Kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */