-------
From: demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Vince Demarco)

Well i'm working with a prof at the U here (University of Calgary)
doing speech synthesis with the DSP.

They (we) are writing a TextToSpeech object.  I am writing an
animation tool, the user will enter a line of text, the computer will
display an animated talking face on the screen and will also say what
you typed in.

Hows that for interesting

vince demarco
demarco@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
---------
From: Mark Gallagher <markga@comms.ee.hull.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 May 91 15:37:01 BST
To: jiro@shaman.com
Subject: NeXT DSP

Dear 'jiro',

I read you letter on comp.dsp and wondered if you had posted it to
comp.sys.next. You'll probably be snowed under with replies.

Here at the University of Hull (UK), in the Comms Group, Dept. Electr. Eng.,
we have just taken delivery of a few NeXTs which we will be using to attempt to
port across some of the research going on here:

In particular -

	pseudo-noise using Trajectory derived sequences
	modems
	matched-filter detection systems
	fractal noise comms systems

	If you want any more info, eg paper refs just give me a buzz

	The NeXT will be the staple for the investigation into Radio Systems
architecture and more of the machines will be ordered.

	As for the DSPApp Kit you talked about, there is a need for such a
system, but you can use the LSI HyperSignal Program on the PC to generate
code. However, if you are a DSP-jockey, you will realise that most code
is `hand-crafted' for real-time speed. So combining this with the NeXT
will hopefully produce some really excellent research (and demos).

Cheers,

Mark Gallagher

Hull-Warwick Communications Research Group
Dept. Electronic Engineering
University of Hull
UK

Email: markga@uk.ac.hull.ee.comms

Tel: +44 482 465101
Fax: +44 482 466666
---------------
Date: Sat, 25 May 91 11:54:20 EDT
From: Tod Rieger <prie@gauguin.cc.rochester.edu>
To: jiro@shaman.com

     I had hoped to write FORTRAN preprocessor that would
inspect loops for vectorization, replace those vectorizable
with appropriate library calls (and optionally produce a
loop-analysis listing), and invoke the compiler. The DSP
hardware would be used by those library calls at run time.

    But the 56000 is integer-only. I wish NeXT had used
the 96000 in their latest machines since that chip has
floating point support.

    A similar preprocessor could have been used for C.

    NeXTime.

----------

	Hope this helps people. Please send replies on your projects to
comp.sys.next and comp.dsp, I'd really like to sponsor a discussion on the net
about different uses of the DSP.
	What is the Shaman Group doing? We're currently investigating its uses
as a general purpose image processor, trying to use it for some special
effects, etc.

	- Jiro Nakamura
	jiro@shaman.com

--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
The Shaman Group			(607) 256-5125 VOICE

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (06/01/91)

Hiya -
	Here are another person using the DSP. I think it'd be great if there
was a general directory of DSP related projects, kinda like what NeXT On Campus
has for campus projects. Of course, someone would have to set it up and
maintain it....
	Talking about speech processing [bad pun intended], I wish there were a
public domain speaker-dependent speech processing module. Something real simple
but usable to a certain limit. I'm sure all of us have apps that could use
*some* simple speech interpreting (like "send", "deliver", "display",
"calculate", etc.).
	Another realm for the DSP is in data input. I'm going to be hooking up
a powerglove Real Soon Now. But the only library I have that does it
(PowerGlove, on cs.orst.edu) doesn't have the source code, which makes me
uncomfortable. Anyone have a publicly available version?

---------------
From: Bo Eriksson  <boe@kuling.docs.uu.se>

Just reporting for a friend who doesn't read USENET news;
he (lk@ctrl.teknikum.uu.se, Erlendur Karlsson) is planning to use the
NeXT DSP chip for (real-time) speech processing.

Would be interesting to see any whacky & weird things
people plan to do with a DSP!

Bo Eriksson
boe@maja.teknikum.uu.se
----------------

	- Jiro Nakamura
	jiro@shaman.com
--

falk@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Geoffrey Falk) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun1.132904.685@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura)
writes:
> From: Bo Eriksson  <boe@kuling.docs.uu.se>
>
> Just reporting for a friend who doesn't read USENET news;
> he (lk@ctrl.teknikum.uu.se, Erlendur Karlsson) is planning to use the
> NeXT DSP chip for (real-time) speech processing.
>
> Would be interesting to see any whacky & weird things
> people plan to do with a DSP!
>
> Bo Eriksson
> boe@maja.teknikum.uu.se
>

> 	- Jiro Nakamura
> 	jiro@shaman.com

Has anybody been using the DSP for cryptography, specifically DES? I would
be interested in finding out what kind of speeds have been achieved.

Geoffrey Falk
(falk@cpsc.ucalgary.ca)
(falk@flip.cpsc.ucalgary.ca) NeXTMail
Undergraduate, Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Calgary