[comp.sys.next] rusersd

drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Adrian Smith) (06/04/91)

I've been trying to get rusers running on our local net without much
success (all NeXT machines). According to the man pages, inetd should
start the rusersd and rwhod daemons and then rusers should work
correctly. Well, I checked the /etc/inetd.conf file, and it has the
rusersd and rwhod lines, but these daemons don't seem to be starting on
boot. I can run rusers, but have to Ctrl-C out of it instead of getting a
clean exit. Can somebody help?

-drin

Adrian Smith              drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

eric@dino (Eric Norum,EB 547,4626,) (06/06/91)

drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
> I've been trying to get rusers running on our local net without much
> success (all NeXT machines). According to the man pages, inetd should
> start the rusersd and rwhod daemons and then rusers should work
> correctly. Well, I checked the /etc/inetd.conf file, and it has the
> rusersd and rwhod lines, but these daemons don't seem to be starting on
> boot. I can run rusers, but have to Ctrl-C out of it instead of getting a
> clean exit. Can somebody help?
>
> -drin
>
> Adrian Smith              drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca
> Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

inetd doesn't start the daemons, it just sits waiting for a connection
on the appropriate port number.  When some other machine does an `rusers'
the inetd detects the connection request and starts up /usr/etc/rpc.rusersd.

Regarding the `no-clean exit', I think you just have to be more patient.
The rusers program doesn't know how many replies to expect, so it just
waits for a while before terminating.  On the NeXT here it times out in
about 2 minutes.
--
Eric Norum
Dept. of Electrical Engineering      eric@ee.ualberta.ca

In article <4T1133w164w@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca>
	drin@ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>I've been trying to get rusers running on our local net without much
>success (all NeXT machines). According to the man pages, inetd should
>start the rusersd and rwhod daemons and then rusers should work
>correctly.

First of all, rusersd (for rusers, rup) and rwhod (for rwho,
ruptime) are completely separate.

For the former, network activity occurs only when a user issues a
query.  It provides more (and often more accurate) information
about what individual users are doing.  rpc.rusersd is started by
inetd.

For the latter, each machine broadcasts its status at periodic
intervals.  All machines running rwhod update their local caches
on receipt.  It provides a better handle on how machines are
faring.  rwhod is independent of inetd.

Both have advantages, both have tradeoffs.

rusersd:
	The version NeXT ships with 2.0/2.1 is DEFECTIVE.
	You can safely replace it with the 1.0/1.0a version.

	rpc.rusersd is started from inetd; you don't have to
	do anything special to enable it.

rwhod:
	This is shipped DISABLED.  You probably don't want to
	enable it on NetBoot clients (and it's pointless on
	standalone machines).

	1) Create the rwho spool directory:

	mkdir /usr/spool/rwho
	chown agent.daemon /usr/spool/rwho
	chmod 775 /usr/spool/rwho

	2) Add the following to /etc/rc.local in the "Run your
	   own commands here" section:

	if [ -f /usr/etc/rwhod -a -d /usr/spool/rwho ]; then
		/usr/etc/rwhod && (echo -n ' rwhod')		>/dev/console
	fi

	3) Start a copy running:

	cd /
	/usr/etc/rwhod