[comp.sys.next] NeXT Serial to PC Serial

anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (06/07/91)

One of our users wants to move quite a few files (~400 MB)
from a DOS machine (AT compatible) to his NeXT (he has, get
this, *two* 1.2GB disks on the NeXT!).  What he's thinking
of doing is connecting the two machines together with a
proper NeXT modem cable to a null modem to the DOS machine's
serial port.

He's prepared for it to take a while, I guess.

I would think borrowing an ethernet card for the DOS side
would be much better, but let's assume he can't swing that.

Is the serial-to-serial thing likely to work?

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

In article <1991Jun6.193222.6974@macc.wisc.edu>
	anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:
>One of our users wants to move quite a few files (~400 MB)

>I would think borrowing an ethernet card for the DOS side
>would be much better, but let's assume he can't swing that.
>
>Is the serial-to-serial thing likely to work?

Hee hee hee.
Sure it can (ha ha).
Ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Hee hee hee hee.
Ho ho ho ho.

Approximately 32 hours assuming that you can actually sustain
38.4Kb and absolutely nothing goes wrong.  (What are the chances
of THAT?)

With Ethernet, the limiting factor will be the PC's performance;
even an '030 cube is way faster than what an AT-bus (ISA) machine
can push at it.

					-=EPS=-