[comp.sys.next] ML

murray@csli.Stanford.EDU (Peter Murray) (06/07/91)

Hello NeXTworld and functional programmers

Has anyone found/made an ML interpreter/compiler that can be compiled
on NeXT?  The NJ-SML doesn't compile and would (it seems to me) need
significant reconstruction to be made to work.

Any ideas?

Please reply to murray@csli.stanford.edu by e-mail (NeXT mail is OK)

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

-Pete

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (06/08/91)

In article <19722@csli.Stanford.EDU> murray@csli.Stanford.EDU (Peter Murray) writes:

   Hello NeXTworld and functional programmers

   Has anyone found/made an ML interpreter/compiler that can be compiled
   on NeXT?  The NJ-SML doesn't compile and would (it seems to me) need
   significant reconstruction to be made to work.

   Any ideas?

It's a problem with the 68040 cache, it used to run under 1.0 on an
030.  I guess they're using self modifying code or something like
that.  Anyway, anyone who is interested might want to send e-mail to
the authors to let them know there is some interest in a NeXT port.  I
asked them a few months back and they said that they would eventually
fix it.  MIT Scheme 7.0 suffered from the same sort of problem.
Wasn't it fixed?  Isn't it just a matter of forcing the cache to be
discarded and then reread at the proper time?

-Mike

jhr@CS.Cornell.EDU (John Reppy) (06/08/91)

In article <19722@csli.Stanford.EDU> murray@csli.Stanford.EDU (Peter Murray) writes:

>Hello NeXTworld and functional programmers
>
>Has anyone found/made an ML interpreter/compiler that can be compiled
>on NeXT?  The NJ-SML doesn't compile and would (it seems to me) need
>significant reconstruction to be made to work.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Please reply to murray@csli.stanford.edu by e-mail (NeXT mail is OK)
>
>Thanks in advance!
>
>Cheers,
>
>-Pete

I have put the executable for version 0.69 of SML/NJ on ftp.cs.cornell.edu.
It runs on both '030 and '040 machines running 2.0.  Because the patches for
the NeXT didn't make it into this version, you cannot build 0.69 from the
distribution.

*** REMEMBER TO SET BINARY MODE ***

Here is a sample ftp dialog:

   $ ftp ftp.cs.cornell.edu
   Name: anonymous
   Password: <your name>
   ftp> binary
   ftp> cd pub
   ftp> get smlnj-NeXT-2.0.tar.Z
   ftp> bye

And then uncompress and detar:

   $ zcat smlnj-NeXT-2.0.tar.Z | tar -xvf -
   x README, 8181 bytes, 16 tape blocks
   x sml, 2064384 bytes, 4032 tape blocks
   $

A README file is included with more information.

  - John