[comp.sys.next] external hd for nexts

"mark onyschuk" <mark.onyschuk@canrem.uucp> (06/05/91)

I'll be purchasing a NeXTstation in the coming weeks and would like to
add a 200Mbyte external drive to it.

What special considerations must I take into account when purchasing a
drive mech. to build around? Are there any brands with which the NeXT
has trouble, or are there any configurations that I should be wary of?

I'm sure that this is in the FAQ list, but I haven't got access to a
proper Unix account over the summer months to be able to access this
kind of info.

Regards,    | CIS: 73700,3114
Mark        | Byte Information eXchange: monyschuk
            | Internet: mark.onyschuk%canremote.uucp@lsuc.on.ca
  That last address is long, but the mail system here is kinda flaky
--
Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
NorthAmeriNet Host

brian@umbc4.umbc.edu (Brian Cuthie) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun5.1145.6978@canrem.uucp> "mark onyschuk" <mark.onyschuk@canrem.uucp> writes:
>I'll be purchasing a NeXTstation in the coming weeks and would like to
>add a 200Mbyte external drive to it.
>
>What special considerations must I take into account when purchasing a
>drive mech. to build around? Are there any brands with which the NeXT
>has trouble, or are there any configurations that I should be wary of?

The top three things to look for in a drive are:

	1. Noise

	2. Noise

	3. Noise

The NeXT is an incredible machine and it's quiet too.  Until... you put
some monster drive in or next to it that makes a ton of noise.  Now you may
not be a believer, but I kid you not that when it's 2:00 AM and the only
noise you can hear is the obnoxious high pitched whine from your Seagate
drive, you're going to boot it out the window.  It's bad enough that I
am currently trying to get a Quantum to replace the seagate I am about to
return.  So I say unto you now: Shun those squealy drives and make
the weenies at seagate realize that in the days of personal workstations it
is no longer acceptable to make loud drives.  Thank you...

Oh yea, the next three concerns when buying a drive are:

	4. Size,

	5. Capacity

	6. cost

(in your favorite order)

>I'm sure that this is in the FAQ list, but I haven't got access to a
>proper Unix account over the summer months to be able to access this
>kind of info.
>
>Regards,    | CIS: 73700,3114
>Mark        | Byte Information eXchange: monyschuk
>            | Internet: mark.onyschuk%canremote.uucp@lsuc.on.ca
>  That last address is long, but the mail system here is kinda flaky
>--
>Canada Remote Systems.  Toronto, Ontario
>NorthAmeriNet Host

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (06/07/91)

In article <1991Jun6.033641.17670@umbc3.umbc.edu>, brian@umbc4.umbc.edu (Brian
Cuthie) writes:
	[...material deleted...]

> The top three things to look for in a drive are:
>
> 	1. Noise
>
> 	2. Noise
>
> 	3. Noise

	I agree.

> The NeXT is an incredible machine and it's quiet too.  Until... you put
> some monster drive in or next to it that makes a ton of noise.  Now you may
> not be a believer, but I kid you not that when it's 2:00 AM and the only
> noise you can hear is the obnoxious high pitched whine from your Seagate
> drive, you're going to boot it out the window.  It's bad enough that I
> am currently trying to get a Quantum to replace the seagate I am about to
> return.  So I say unto you now: Shun those squealy drives and make
> the weenies at seagate realize that in the days of personal workstations it
> is no longer acceptable to make loud drives.  Thank you...

	The NeXTstation with the Seagate 400 Mbyte internal drive is very
	quiet (at least mine is).  On the other hand, I have a Seagate drive in
	a FaST enclosure hooked to an Atari ST and the squealy noise source is
	the fan in the enclosure.  So if your drive is the actual noise source,
	it may just be a particular Seagate model or your particular drive.

	[...]

c.f.waltrip

Internet:	<waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.

brian@umbc4.umbc.edu (Brian Cuthie) (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun6.120136.1@capd.jhuapl.edu> waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu writes:
>In article <1991Jun6.033641.17670@umbc3.umbc.edu>, brian@umbc4.umbc.edu (Brian
>Cuthie) writes:
>	[...material deleted...]

	[...Material Deleted...]

>	The NeXTstation with the Seagate 400 Mbyte internal drive is very
>	quiet (at least mine is).  On the other hand, I have a Seagate drive in
>	a FaST enclosure hooked to an Atari ST and the squealy noise source is
>	the fan in the enclosure.  So if your drive is the actual noise source,
>	it may just be a particular Seagate model or your particular drive.

Well, actually, it was the 3.5" ST1480.  Great drive as far as speed goes.  In
fact, it's faster than the Quantum (not exactly know for their speed) but it
emits a high pitched squeal that I find annoying.  Many peaople may not be
as sensitive (or care for that matter) as I am to drive noise.

Now if you *really* want noise, try the WREN runner 5.25" drives.  They make
*the* most obnoxious noise I have ever heard from a spinning, non-seeking,
drive.

In summary:  you just can't win.  The world's imperfect.  You choose: speed or
quiet.  I chose quiet.  Maybe I should have chosen noise, and just played the
stereo louder  :-)

-brian