[comp.sys.next] Mac to NeXT file transfers

mmendel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark Mendel) (06/05/91)

What is the easiest way to transfer a macintosh file (specifically a
microsoft excell spreadsheet) to the Next (where I will want set it
up as an Improv spreadsheet)?

insignia@netcom.COM (Dave Hull) (06/05/91)

mmendel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark Mendel) writes:

>What is the easiest way to transfer a macintosh file (specifically a
>microsoft excell spreadsheet) to the Next (where I will want set it
>up as an Improv spreadsheet)?

FloppyWorks from Digital Instrimentation Technology allows you to read
files off of a Mac Disk.  It's avalible from NeXTConnection for $185.
You could also save the files onto a DOS disk using AccessPC which lists
for $99.  I've used both ways and they both have advantages.  With
FloppyWorks you can read any random Mac disk.  With AccessPC all that
you have to do is save the file on to the appropriate disk, put it in
the NeXT, and read the file.  Of course, I am biased a bit in the favor
of AccessPC...

--
"Did you ever take driver's training?"
"A car is an extension of one's psyche.  I've got a fucked up psyche.

ez@laiawake (Ezra Goldman) (06/08/91)

In article <44184@netnews.upenn.edu> mmendel@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Mark Mendel)
writes:
> What is the easiest way to transfer a macintosh file (specifically a
> microsoft excell spreadsheet) to the Next (where I will want set it
> up as an Improv spreadsheet)?

Aside from FloppyWorks (which I have and have used) I prefer MacLink Plus/PC
from DataViz for *direct* transfer of Mac files to the NeXT. MacLink doesn't
require any physical media for the interchange - it essentially connects the
two system's desktops using a serial cable and a transfer protocol.

The MacLink package includes Mac software, cables, and documentation for the
Macintosh side of a direct connection. The NeXT side is handled by an app
supplied with the system in NextDeveloper/Demos called DataVizBridge.

Hardware hookup is the provided cable that attaches a mac port to the NeXT
serial port. Software is enabled on the NeXT with a double click of the App. On
the Mac side you select from a palette of file translators, select files from a
standard file dialog box, and click "convert and send"

I purchased MacLink through NeXTConnection, and have used it for a while now
with no problems.

--ez