[net.auto] 65MPH

pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) (02/17/86)

                                 -
I have been monitoring this newsgroup for some time now,  and  have
observed  some good arguments and thoughtful insights regarding the
55 MPH speed limit issue:  some think it too low, others too  high,
yet  others, just about right.  Some argue there should be no speed
limit, and some that different roads and conditions should be  fac-
tors  considered for adjusting the limit.  There are persuasive and
cogent arguments on all sides.

There is one issue, however, that I have not seen  discussed  here,
or  more  generally,  in  any  of the popular media.  And that is a
State's rights issue.  The Federal government has been granted cer-
tain  powers  by the Consitution of the United States and ALL other
powers are resevered for the several States.   Although  I  confess
complete  ignorance  of Constitutional law, I submit to you, gentle
reader, that adjusting automobile speed limits is not one of  those
special powers granted to our central government.

The setting of  speed limits, if any, is, I believe, a proper ques-
tion for the consideration of State governments.  The State, may or
may not in its wisdom, cede this power to County or  local  govern-
ment.  The State may even use a national paradigm for speed limits,
as in criminal justice, if it so chooses.

It seems to me that the States acquiesce because catching  speeders
represents  a  good  revenue source for the State (the irresistible
temptation for some to exceed 55 MPH on roads clearly designed  for
faster  travel,  creates a class of violators from which the police
can easily cull the unwary) without having to answer to the  people
directly;  after all, it IS a Federally mandated law!  I personally
cannot seriously believe that there is any one, universal, good and
proper speed limit for everywhere in the United States.

 Paul Given             {ihnp4, houxe, stcvax!ihnp4}!drutx!pagiven
              AT&T Information Systems Laboratories
 11900 N. Pecos, Rm 1B04, Denver 80234              (303)-538-4058

goudreau@dg_rtp.UUCP (02/24/86)

In article <594@drutx.UUCP> pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) writes:
>There is one issue, however, that I have not seen  discussed  here,
>or  more  generally,  in  any  of the popular media.  And that is a
>State's rights issue.  The Federal government has been granted cer-
>tain  powers  by the Consitution of the United States and ALL other
>powers are resevered for the several States.   Although  I  confess
>complete  ignorance  of Constitutional law, I submit to you, gentle
>reader, that adjusting automobile speed limits is not one of  those
>special powers granted to our central government.
>
>The setting of  speed limits, if any, is, I believe, a proper ques-
>tion for the consideration of State governments.  The State, may or
>may not in its wisdom, cede this power to County or  local  govern-
>ment.  The State may even use a national paradigm for speed limits,
>as in criminal justice, if it so chooses.
>
>It seems to me that the States acquiesce because catching  speeders
>represents  a  good  revenue source for the State (the irresistible
>temptation for some to exceed 55 MPH on roads clearly designed  for
>faster  travel,  creates a class of violators from which the police
>can easily cull the unwary) without having to answer to the  people
>directly;  after all, it IS a Federally mandated law!  I personally
>cannot seriously believe that there is any one, universal, good and
>proper speed limit for everywhere in the United States.

Actually, any state is free to set its own speed limits, even in excess
of 55 mph.  Likewise, a state may set its own drinking age, even below
21.  But in either case the state risks losing Federal Highway Funding.
The laws passed by Congress didn't say "the speed limit is hereby set to
55 mph;" they basically said, "any state which doesn't set its [ speed limit
| drinking age ] to <specified value> by <specified date> will have
<specified percentage> of its Federal Highway funds cut off."  It was then
up to each state legislature to implement (or not) these "suggestions"
as it saw fit. (Also, it isn't enough for the state to merely *set* the
limit and then ignore it; it must demonstrate a certain level of
compliance with the law.)  So, the basic question for California is
"Does the cost of enforcing 55 mph exceed the amount of money we'd lose
from the Feds if we went to 65?"  The state legislature may well decide
the answer is "yes".

By the way, I agree with you about the (dubious) usefulness of one national
speed limit.  States seemed to deal well with setting their own in the
good old days.  It still works that way at the provincial level in Canada.
How do we go about getting Congress to repeal this legislation?  Reagan
used to mention this as one of his objectives, but I haven't heard anything
since his 1980 Campaign.  Are there any members of Congress who are willing
to introduce this sort of bill?

Bob Goudreau

drelles@encore.UUCP (Robert Drelles) (02/25/86)

In article <594@drutx.UUCP> pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) writes:

>There is one issue, however, that I have not seen  discussed  here,
>or  more  generally,  in  any  of the popular media.  And that is a
>State's rights issue.  The Federal government has been granted cer-
>tain  powers  by the Consitution of the United States and ALL other
>powers are resevered for the several States.   Although  I  confess
>complete  ignorance  of Constitutional law, I submit to you, gentle
>reader, that adjusting automobile speed limits is not one of  those
>special powers granted to our central government.

While the 55mph speed limit may represent questionable public policy,
it is clearly constitutional.

(1) Technically, the law does not forbid states from setting a speed
limit higher than 55mph.  It requires that states comply
with the 55mph limit if they receive federal highway money.  If a
state has a non-compliance rate of greater than 50%, their funds
"can" be cut off.  This has never happened.  A while back, Vermont state
officials refused to strengthen its enforcement of the 55,
observing that the cost of enforcement was higher than the
estimated $1 million in highway funds at risk.

(2) The federal government clearly has the right to set speed limits
as part of binding uniform national traffic regulations.  This is
because a large amount of traffic moves across state borders, justifying
a national law on the grounds of the interstate commerce clause of the
constitution.  This is not a "technicality" -- the Boston commuting
radius covers parts of four states.

I don't approve of the 55, except perhaps as an emergency stand-by
regulation in the event of an oil supply shock.  But it is a valid
use of the federal government's power.  I, for one, would like to see
the 55 debate shift from abstract theories of the limits of government
to whether or not this regulation's alleged safety benefits really
offset the costs to long-distance motorists and its frequent use as
a shield for improper police behavior.

Robert Drelles

Disclaimer:
This posting represents the personal views of its author, and not the
views of his employer, co-workers, or anybody else who might take offense.

rdz@ccice6.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (02/25/86)

In article <594@drutx.UUCP>, pagiven@drutx.UUCP (GivenP) writes:

> There is one issue, however, that I have not seen  discussed  here,
> or  more  generally,  in  any  of the popular media.  And that is a
> State's rights issue.  The Federal government has been granted cer-
> tain  powers  by the Consitution of the United States and ALL other
> powers are resevered for the several States.   Although  I  confess
> complete  ignorance  of Constitutional law, I submit to you, gentle
> reader, that adjusting automobile speed limits is not one of  those
> special powers granted to our central government.

I might agree with you, about STATE highways.  Lest we forget, the
INTERSTATE highway system was created in 1958, with the PRIMARY
purpose being that of assuring a NATIONAL transportation system for
defence of the country.  Going to Grandma's is just a side benefit to
being able to get the boys to the front in a hurry.  Granted, times
have changed and this probably isn't an effective battle strategy
anymore.  But if the feds own the interstates (and I believe they do)
then I guess they can have the limit be anything they want to.

chip@vaxwaller.UUCP (Chip Kozy) (03/01/86)

> It seems to me that the States acquiesce because catching  speeders
> represents  a  good  revenue source for the State (the irresistible
> temptation for some to exceed 55 MPH on roads clearly designed  for
> faster  travel,  creates a class of violators from which the police
> can easily cull the unwary) without having to answer to the  people
> directly;  after all, it IS a Federally mandated law!  I personally

	First of all, the law is not "mandated" by the Feds.  They just
simply said "If you guys don't go along with the 55mph limit, we will
not give you any money for your roads.".  As you can see, that's not
a mandate, it's pure blackmail.  The states are REQUIRED to show a certain
percentage of adherance to the law by some formula or other.  If this
percentage falls below the preset point, funds can be withheld.  The
major concern in the fight to get the "double nickle" raised is if the
Feds will allow it, and not see it as justification to stop funding the
state.  IF the Feds will go along with it, then, and ONLY then, will the
limit be raised.  The 55 law was an "economic" (read: politically popular)
law at the time it was passed.  Only when it becomes politically popular
again will it be changed.

	The moral of this story is don't blame the local constabulary
for enforcing this fiasco.  They're stuck with it, and, at least for
the time being, so are we.  Want it changed??  Deluge your appropriate
politicians with mail.  Attend meetings and speak up.  Don't just
sit in front of your terminal and flame on and on.  DO SOMETHING!!!

					Happiness;
					Chip