[comp.sys.next] co-Xist Demo -- installation and getting a copy

wesley@cs.utexas.edu (Wesley C Smith) (06/09/91)

In article <30847@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt2186a@prism.gatech.EDU (COBIA,FRANK
NAYLOR) writes:

>     I ftped the Demo last night (from somewhere other than nova.cc.purdue),
> and it seemed to install fine. No errors from tar or the installer. When
> I try to run it, a window comes up and I get the menu, but then it just
> does a core dump. Is there something I need to set on my machine or did
> I get a corrupted copy.
>
> Frank
Sorry the installation instructions were not with the package. Where did you
get yours from?

To install co-Xist (and make it run) ;-)
     1. install it with the installer in default directory
          to do this hit return when it asks what directory to install in.
          You need to be able to write to /usr/bin and /usr/lib
          (if you don't install in the default directory you will need to
           link /usr/bin/X11 and /usr/lib/X11 to where you installed them)

     2. copy the sample files from /usr/lib/X11 to your home directory
          sample.twmrc
          sample.Xdefaults
          sample.xserverrc
          sample.xinitrc

     3. rename the sample files by removing sample from the name leaving:
          .twmrc
          .Xdefaults
          .xserverrc
          .xinitrc

     4. It is helpful to add /usr/bin/X11 to your path

     5. drag /usr/bin/X11/xinit to your icon dock

     6. double-click on xinit. (the best way to start co-Xist and clients)
          double-clicking on co-Xist will only get you a blank window and will
          require you to 'setenv DISPLAY unix:0' and then start the clients
          like xterm from a shell.

The co-Xist demo can comes with xterm, xhost, xhost, maze, xclock. If installed
properly (and started by xinit) it should start up two xterm windows, xclock,
and twm. You should be able to run other x clients that you might have.  The
co-Xist server will do about everything the current release will, but will stop
running after 10-15 minutes and tell you it is a demo copy.

The co-Xist demo was submitted to nova.cc.purdue but I can't find it anymore.
Should I should submit it again?  If anyone knows of any other ftp sites that
have the co-Xist demo or any sites you think I should submit the demo to please
let me know.

If you are unable to get a copy from ftp just send me e-mail and I can arrange
to get you a copy on disk (for free) or e-mail one to you if you can receive
NeXT mail.

If you have any problems getting a copy or getting it to run let me know. I
should be able to help.

Wes Smith
Pencom Software
9050 Capital of Texas Highway North Suite 300
Austin, Texas 78759
E-Mail (NeXT):  pensoft!co-Xist_support@cs.utexas.edu
Phone:  1-800-PENCOM-4  or  (512) 343-1111
FAX:  (512) 343-9650