[comp.sys.next] Hard Drives shipped with NeXT's...

dalton@cheetah.ece.arizona.edu (Jeff Dalton) (06/08/91)

I am about to purchase a new NeXTstation and as being only a poor college I
can onlt afford the low end model at this time (with plans on upgrading to a
larger SCSI HD later (soon hopefully)).  In any case I was wondering what
kind of stats there were from the 105 meg and the 200 meg drives that are
shipped with the NeXTstations.

Access times for both?  Are they reliable?  Are they loud??  Is one clearly
better then the other?

Is the 200 meg option a better deal?  Should I go that route or buy the 105
now and buy a big external SCSI drive later (prices seem to be falling fast
on SCSI drives...).  I cannot afford (at this time) the bigger drive option
from NeXT and would like to get my station as soon as possible ... so I am
curious as to the quality of the drives I am considering buying.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  E-mail please.

Thanks!  :)

--
Jeff Dalton - "Khelben Blackstaff"
University of Arizona, Systems Programmer

dmr@csli.Stanford.EDU (Daniel M. Rosenberg) (06/09/91)

In <DALTON.91Jun8154506@cheetah.ece.arizona.edu> dalton@cheetah.ece.arizona.edu (Jeff Dalton) writes:
>I am about to purchase a new NeXTstation and as being only a poor college I
>can onlt afford the low end model at this time (with plans on upgrading to a
>larger SCSI HD later (soon hopefully)).  In any case I was wondering what
>kind of stats there were from the 105 meg and the 200 meg drives that are
>shipped with the NeXTstations.

If you are a poor college student like I am, and can't afford a bigger
drive, you may as well not worry about access time and whatnot.

The smaller systems you mentioned don't come with an extended 2.1 release,
so you get not much in the way of development tools unless you NFS mount
them from somewhere else.

Go by the price difference. (Statistics are also somewhat hard to come by
as NeXT tends to switch around drive vendors.)

You might get a 105Mb Slab and buy your own drive, but that will cost
you about the same as a 400Mb Slab except you get 105Mb extra (at least).
I am planning on posting a summary of third party drive options, just
as soon as my Slab arrives... and I graduate.

--
# Daniel M. Rosenberg         Stanford Univ CSLI      Opinions here are my own
# dmr@csli.stanford.edu  {apple,ucbvax}!labrea!csli!dmr  BIT:dmr%csli@stanford