[comp.sys.next] Drag and Drop

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (06/09/91)

Dragging and dropping doesn't work when an IB(and probably most other
apps) is run on one machine and displayed on another using -NXHost.
For example, I can't drag an Icon into the Icon's suitcase, and I
can't drag a new class in to be parsed.  Is this a bug or hasn't NeXT
gotten around to implementing it?

Also, is there an environment variable that I can set so I don't have
to type -NXHost all of the time?  In other words, I want a NeXTStep
equivalent for X Window's DISPLAY environment variable.

-Mike

bchen@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Bing-Qing Chen) (06/09/91)

In article <7l5H&-*q@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>Dragging and dropping doesn't work when an IB(and probably most other
>apps) is run on one machine and displayed on another using -NXHost.
>For example, I can't drag an Icon into the Icon's suitcase, and I
>can't drag a new class in to be parsed.  Is this a bug or hasn't NeXT
>gotten around to implementing it?

Because Workspace and IB are running on different hosts, drag and drop
accross hosts is not going to work. To use drag and drop remotely, you
have to launch the remote Workspace Manager the same way as you lanched
your apps using NXHost. Keep in mind that to launch something in .app folder,
you have to chdir to the .app directory first. There is one problem with
this method though, no one else can login from console while you are using
that machine's Workspace Manager.

>Also, is there an environment variable that I can set so I don't have
>to type -NXHost all of the time?  In other words, I want a NeXTStep
>equivalent for X Window's DISPLAY environment variable.

Use:

dwrite GLOBAL NXHost hostname

But remember to reset the default when you are done.

Bing Chen
bchen@pooh.caltech.edu