[comp.sys.next] Network management from NeXT

kev@sol.acs.unt.edu (Mullet Kevin Wright) (06/07/91)

NeXT World:

Is anyone doing SNMP network management from a NeXT?  I don't suppose anyone's
ported Sun-Net manager to Mach have they?

also...

... does TCP/IP on the NeXT support logging of incoming syslog messages?

... how viable would a NeXT be as a "normal use" workstation while also
serving as a bootp server (possible?) and domain name server (possible?).

.. has anyone ported CMDF to the NeXT yet?  If so how well does it work?

What kind of upgrade path is there for processing power and disk space on
the NeXT?

-Kevin Mullet
 University of North Texas

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (06/08/91)

In article <1991Jun7.051355.9380@sol.acs.unt.edu>, kev@sol.acs.unt.edu (Mullet Kevin Wright) writes:

> NeXT World:
>
> Is anyone doing SNMP network management from a NeXT?  I don't suppose anyone's
> ported Sun-Net manager to Mach have they?

I have ported the cmu-snmp libraries and applications.  They are very raw when
compared to a graphicly oriented manager like sun-net, but it works.  I hope to
write a NeXTstep front end for them later this summer.  I use them now for
network monitoring, and crude statistics gathering.

> also...
>
> ... does TCP/IP on the NeXT support logging of incoming syslog messages?

Yes, it works.  See /etc/syslog.conf as the place to configure it, and checkout
the syslogd man page.

> ... how viable would a NeXT be as a "normal use" workstation while also
> serving as a bootp server (possible?) and domain name server (possible?).

I am using my next for the above and it also runs CAP so the NeXT network here
can use the Apple LaserWriters.  I would not attempt this with 8meg of memory.
I have a 040 cube with 16 meg, it also worked well with the 030, and a 660 hard
disk, I don't have any netboot clients off of this machine, but all the NeXTs
in our network nfs mount their mail spool directory, some user files, and our
NetLibrary directory from this machine.  I will probably increase the memory in
this machine as the number of NeXT increase on our campus.

> .. has anyone ported CMDF to the NeXT yet?  If so how well does it work?

It compiled, but when I needed it I didn't know the insides of sendmail and the
sendmail.cf chants (programming, sometimes called rule encryption.)  I nolonger
need to use it, so I cannot tell you if it works.  My current leanings would
cause me to use UUCP if I were to set up a dial up link for mail.

> What kind of upgrade path is there for processing power and disk space on
> the NeXT?

If you want upgradeability, buy a cube.  The cube has a removable CPU card and
a bus with extra bandwidth (when compaired to current need and use.)  My cube
has already been throught the 030 to 040 upgrade.  If rumors of an 88000 cpu
are true, I suspect that you will see an upgrade for the cube.  The cube has
more simm slots for memory (16 slots that take either 1 or 4 mb simms.)  The
cube has space for a full height 5-1/4 in drive.  As a bad omen for the
possibility of a slab upgrade, take to heart that there is no upgrade path from
the basic Black and White NeXTstation to a Color NeXTstation.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

In article <1991Jun7.051355.9380@sol.acs.unt.edu>
	kev@sol.acs.unt.edu (Mullet Kevin Wright) writes:
>Is anyone doing SNMP network management from a NeXT?

I use the (free) CMU tools on a fairly regular basis.  I really
need something that's a lot happier with MIB-II, though.

>                                                      I don't suppose anyone's
>ported Sun-Net manager to Mach have they?

I've been toying with the idea of developing a graphical SNMP
environment for the NeXTstation Color (in WHAT "copious free
time???").  It's not like it's hard to do, it just takes doing.
I'll have to bow out this time.  I assume Sun-Net manager is
expensive licensed commercial software?

>... does TCP/IP on the NeXT support logging of incoming syslog messages?

It's supposed to!

>... how viable would a NeXT be as a "normal use" workstation while also
>serving as a bootp server (possible?) and domain name server (possible?).

BOOTP: Back in the bad ol' 1.0 days, I found BOOTP useless (for
anything other than booting other NeXTs) because NeXT had only
implemented the original (RFC 951) version.  I haven't checked to
see if that's been rectified in 2.0/2.1, but I have my doubts.
If not, beat up on NeXT--this is one of those things they have to
fix.  I wouldn't try it myself.

DNS: Works great (just don't try to use the version NeXT ships).
32MB RAM highly recommended!

>.. has anyone ported CMDF to the NeXT yet?  If so how well does it work?

I've never heard of it.

>What kind of upgrade path is there for processing power and disk space on
>the NeXT?

If you have a NeXTstation or NeXTstation Color, there isn't one.
If you have a cube, well, just be patient.  :-)

Disk space: I wouldn't worry about it, unless you need more than
6GB per machine (so far I've been able to contain myself :-) ).
There's a lot to be said for dedicated NFS servers (e.g. Auspex,
Epoch), but they're expensive unless you're into serious disk
farms.

					-=EPS=-

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (06/09/91)

In article <1991Jun7.215346.233@gacvx2.gac.edu>, dan@gacvx2.gac.edu writes:
	[...material deleted...]
> If you want upgradeability, buy a cube.
	Yup, but this reminds me that articles I've seen recently about
	Motorola's product plans say that the planned 68050 will run twice as
	fast as the 68040 at the same clock rate.  Do you think maybe that
	we may be able to swap chips in our NeXTstations someday?^)
	[...material deleted...]

c.f.waltrip

Internet:	<waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun8.232726.1@capd.jhuapl.edu>, waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu writes:
> In article <1991Jun7.215346.233@gacvx2.gac.edu>, dan@gacvx2.gac.edu writes:
> 	[...material deleted...]
>> If you want upgradeability, buy a cube.
> 	Yup, but this reminds me that articles I've seen recently about
> 	Motorola's product plans say that the planned 68050 will run twice as
> 	fast as the 68040 at the same clock rate.  Do you think maybe that
> 	we may be able to swap chips in our NeXTstations someday?^)
> 	[...material deleted...]
>

> c.f.waltrip
>
> Internet:	<waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>
>
> Opinions expressed are my own.

So far the 680xx family hasn't been very pin or package compatable.  One of the
best ways to increase speed in to increase the numbers of transistors in the
chip.  This almost always results in different package.  Don't blame Motorola,
Intel has done the same thing with the 80x86 line.