[comp.sys.next] Palette utility question

eht@cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (06/08/91)

I'm trying to write a palette and I have run across this problem.  How do I get
a list of the View subclasses that IB knows about?  I'd like to generate a
scrolling list like the custom view inspector does but I don't know how to get
the list of View subclasses (in whatever form).

..eric

tdawson@shumun.weeg.uiowa.edu (Tim Dawson) (06/10/91)

In article <1991Jun7.173623.1327@cs.cmu.edu> eht@cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer)
writes:
> I'm trying to write a palette and I have run across this problem.  How do I
> get a list of the View subclasses that IB knows about?  I'd like to generate
> a scrolling list like the custom view inspector does but I don't know how to
> get the list of View subclasses (in whatever form).
>
> ...eric

	The entire class hierarchy can be found online using Digital Librarian.
Launch librarian, click on NeXT Developer, and type "class hierarchy" and
search.  The file you are looking for is called "AppKitIntro.rtfd".

	As far as creating a scrolling list, check out "ScrollDoodScroll" by
Jayson Adams at NeXT.  You can find it in "/NeXTDeveloper/Examples".  Pay
special attention to the NiftyMatrix and CustomCell objects.  Basically, you
create a standard scrollView and set its docView to a niftyMatrix, whose
cells are of class CustomCell.

	A few helpful hints:  You might try creating a dummy application to
test your objects out.  (I have heard that you can't use GDB to debug a
palette.)  Also, keep in mind that anyone who uses your palette will have to
have the source code to link, or at the minimum, a library and the interface
files.

	I just finished creating my first palettes for my own project last week
and I got some much needed help from the net, so if you have more questions,
feel free to contact me and I'll do my best.  (I have been very busy lately,
so it might be a few days before I can reply.)

..tim

Timothy Dawson
President, NUGI (NeXT User Group of Iowa)
University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa