[net.followup] Unix, Unixpeople, Usenix - from a n

mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU (10/14/85)

Come on, this obviously belongs in net.jokes. How could anyone take seriously a
statement like:
	"... one ends up having to struggle for days to
	figure out how do things with Unix that could be determined in a
	few minutes with a DEC or IBM manual."
Find anything useful in a few minutes in a DEC or IBM manual? Don't be
ridiculous.

			Scott McEwan
			{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!mcewan

"Given a choice, most people would rather not be attacked by
 horrid undersea slime creatures."

"NO!"

"Truth hurts."

sommar@enea.UUCP (Erland Sommarskog) (10/18/85)

In article <9700101@uiucdcs> mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Come on, this obviously belongs in net.jokes. How could anyone take seriously a
>statement like:
>	"... one ends up having to struggle for days to
>	figure out how do things with Unix that could be determined in a
>	few minutes with a DEC or IBM manual."
>Find anything useful in a few minutes in a DEC or IBM manual? Don't be
>ridiculous.

Why not? I don't know anything but IBM, but I've made with VMS-manuals
several times.

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger Klorese) (10/18/85)

In article <9700101@uiucdcs> mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Come on, this obviously belongs in net.jokes. How could anyone take seriously a
>statement like:
>	"... one ends up having to struggle for days to
>	figure out how do things with Unix that could be determined in a
>	few minutes with a DEC or IBM manual."
>Find anything useful in a few minutes in a DEC or IBM manual? Don't be
>ridiculous.
>

>			Scott McEwan

I can certainly take it seriously.  For the most part, Unix documentation
tells you how to use some command, function, etc. whose existence and function
you already know - pure reference.  Alas, there is no tutorial, or "User's
Guide," furnished in standard documentation.  (We at Celerity ship a commodity
Unix paperback with each system.)

Is it the job of an OS supplier to furnish "how-to" books (i.e., how to
back up, how to add users, how to build programs for the specific OS)?

Sure is.

| ... "What were you expecting, rock'n'roll?"                                  |
|Roger B.A. Klorese                                                            |
|Celerity Computing, 40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701, (617) 872-1772        |
|UUCP:                                 ARPA:                                   |
|decvax-\    bang-\                        celerity!celtics!roger@sdcsvax.ARPA |
|ucbvax--\   akgua-\                                                           |
|ihnp4----\-sdcsvax-\-celerity!celtics!roger                - or -             |
|- or -                                      celtics!roger@bu-cs.ARPA          |
|seismo----\harvard---\bu-cs!celtics!roger                                     |

gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (10/20/85)

Unix may have its problems, but I'd rather wander through the man pages,
documentation and (gasp!) the source code, rather than look through 100
IBM manuals trying to find out what IEFBR14 means.
--
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how I keep from goin' under.

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{decvax!genrad, allegra, ihnp4}!mit-eddie!gds
gds@mit-eddie.mit.edu

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/21/85)

> >Find anything useful in a few minutes in a DEC or IBM manual? Don't be
> >ridiculous.
>
> Why not? I don't know anything but IBM, but I've made with VMS-manuals
> several times.

You must have different VMS manuals in Sweden than we do here. They're better
than the RSX manuals, but that's like saying stubbing your toe is better than
dropping an anvil on it. Around here we call DEC manuals "write-only". Quick:
why is all the documentation on RSX terminal I/O hidden in a document on
writing I/O drivers?

Although the new AT&T manuals aren't too great: the documentation on terminal
I/O in there is hidden inside the administrator's guide. Why, I'll never figure
out...

iwm@icdoc.UUCP (Ian Moor) (10/22/85)

In article <9700101@uiucdcs> mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Come on, this obviously belongs in net.jokes. How could anyone take seriously a
>statement like:
>	"... one ends up having to struggle for days to
>	figure out how do things with Unix that could be determined in a
>	few minutes with a DEC or IBM manual."
>Find anything useful in a few minutes in a DEC or IBM manual? Don't be
>ridiculous.

I just pull down the VMS manual marked 'master index', wheareas on Unix*
I er, er...

*Somebody admits responsiblity for Unix
--
Ian W Moor
  UUCP: seismo!mcvax!ukc!icdoc!iwm

 Department of Computing   Whereat a great and far-off voice was heard, saying,
 Imperial College.         Poop-poop-poopy, and it was even so; and the days
 180 Queensgate            of Poopy Panda were long in the land.
 London SW7 Uk.

In article <150@mit-eddie.UUCP> gds@mit-eddie.UUCP (Greg Skinner) writes:
>Unix may have its problems, but I'd rather wander through the man pages,
>documentation and (gasp!) the source code, rather than look through 100
>IBM manuals trying to find out what IEFBR14 means.
How about the system messages manual ? It lists them in order.

--

tp@ndm20 (10/29/85)

>>Unix may have its problems, but I'd rather wander through the man pages,
>>documentation and (gasp!) the source code, rather than look through 100

But what if you don't  have the  sources?   I don't,  and I certainly
can't justify the price of them for my site.  Better documentation IS
needed.

>>IBM manuals trying to find out  what IEFBR14  means.
>How about the system messages manual ?  It lists them in order.

You just illustrated one of the problems with IBM.  I  doubt you will
find IEFBR14 in the system messages manual, because it  is a program.
Sure looks like an error code doesn't it?   It  happens to  be one of
the most important and useful programs on an IBM - it does absolutely
nothing!  I think this alone says something about  IBM.   (You see BR
14 is the IBM return instruction ...  Who knows or cares  what IEF is
(some sort of facility code I believe)).  IBM uses this program a lot
because  JCL can't  actually do  anything without  running a program,
even if the program does nothing.   Want  to delete  a file?   Set up
your DD cards so the file is  deleted on  program exit,  and then run
IEFBR14!    What could  be simpler  or more  intuitive?   Who needs a
delete file command when there is  such an  obviously superior method
available?

Terry Poot
Nathan D. Maier Consulting Engineers
(214)739-4741
Usenet: ...!{allegra|ihnp4}!convex!smu!ndm20!tp
CSNET:  ndm20!tp@smu
ARPA:   ndm20!tp%smu@csnet-relay.ARPA

In article <254@ivax.icdoc.UUCP> iwm@icdoc.UUCP (Ian Moor) writes:
>In article <9700101@uiucdcs> mcewan@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>>Find anything useful in a few minutes in a DEC or IBM manual? Don't be
>>ridiculous.
>I just pull down the VMS manual marked 'master index', wheareas on Unix*
>I er, er...
>*Somebody admits responsiblity for Unix

Yes, and after that?  When I do this, it is because I am near despair,
and need to be pushed over the edge.  Trying to find any but the most
trivial and obvious references in the master index causes