Date: Sat, 13 Apr 91 23:02:54 PDT
From: eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott)
To: CCGREG@umcvmb.missouri.edu
Subject: Re: Networking NeXTs in a student lab environment

>Friends, System Administrators, and Users, lend me your experience!
>
>I'd like to hear from persons who've had experience  with  student  labs
>containing multiple networked NeXts.  What advice do you have for anyone
>planning and administering such an environment?
>
>The U of Mo is obtaining several NeXTs to go into a workstation cluster.
>Access to the lab will probably be  "open".     We'd  like  to  maximize
>access,  but to do this will probably need to  minimize  maintenance  of
>hard-disk space for user files,  instead encouraging  users  to  provide
>their own media when their projects allow this.

They're going to bring in their own SCSI hard disks???

>Additionally we want to create a more-nearly homogeneous lab of a  dozen
>or more NeXTs or Sparc2s (probably NeXTs), $ allowing.

Oh boy.  Well, now you know why default paths on the NeXT contain
~/Unix/bin instead of ~/bin on the SPARC.  Since executables
aren't binary-compatible, all users have to compile their
personal programs for two platforms.

>Some specific questions for people living with networked NeXTs:
>
>1) What is your configuration (types of systems, connectivity,  servers,
>   backup mechanisms, etc.)?

We have original NeXTs, NeXTstations, and NeXTstation Color
machines.  (Also some "off brand" curiosities (e.g. Apollo
DN 2500, IBM RS/6000)).  We purchased '040 upgrades for *all* of
our original NeXTs.  No machine has less than 16MB.  All
NeXTstations have 20MB *minimum* (they really, really need it);
we haven't ordered memory upgrades for the Color machines yet,
but we're going to try to get them to at least 24MB each, if not
the full 32MB.  Client:server ratio limited to 6:1.  We're using
the fastest disks we can find, and planning to expand as usage
increases (i.e. treat disk space as a non-renewable resource,
users keep their access for as long as they want, no personal use
restrictions).  We just received some Fujitsu 2266 1.2GB drives,
we're rather pleased with them so far.  Backups are done to an
Exabyte 8mm cartridge tape drive (mostly over the network).  Each
cartridge holds 2.3GB, the tapes are $5 each.  Backups are
handled by cron jobs; someone puts in a tape each evening, it
gets written on starting at 2:30 a.m., someone takes the tape out
the next morning so the drive's available for "whatever" during
the day.  I don't know the details of what gets backed up each
day, but it works out.

>2) What most pleases you about your configuration?

We don't have Suns.  :-)
Our school (School of Science, one of 8 within the University)
has a lot of different machines (including Suns).  Since we
started using NeXTs, Suns became a *lot* less attractive.
(The people who have Suns have them to run specific commercial
software packages, and as time goes on, the "gap" is narrowing.)
Thank God we don't have to run YP/NIS on the NeXTs.  NetInfo is
*so* much nicer.  And we can do so much more than X Window-
based systems would permit, and faster.

>3) What most irritates you about your configuration?

One of the problems is that we have users' files spread across
several machines.  In most cases, they're on external disks,
so if a machine is going to be out of service, we can plug it
into another NeXT with minimum grief.  I'd much rather have
something like an Auspex NS 3000 or NS 5000 dedicated NFS
server so all users would see a consistent view of the universe.

Getting electronic mail to go to the right place (and not to the
"wrong" places) is annoying.  We don't believe in a central
mailhost.

>4) What modifications or customizations are  installed  where  you  are?
>   For example:  security  settings,   software  organization,   network
>   organization, hardware hacks, ...

Tons of stuff, but no hardware hacks.  Mostly Internet-related
things (no inbound connections from unregistered sites, no
"nethopping" (telnetting to one machine then telnetting out
from there), etc.  We have as much documentation as possible
available online, including the BSD documents and NextAnswers.
We provide many useful things in /LocalApps and /usr/local/bin.
We intend for the machines to be fully functional as conventional
UNIX workstations (we have a lot of people dialing in from home
and telnetting in).

>5) What practical advice do you have for an  open  lab  situation?   For
>   example, how do you handle disk quotas,

No disk quotas.  Each user understands that we operate in a
cooperative environment, and they can't be too piggish.
We have students with 150MB online, and that's o.k. as long as
it doesn't become a long-term habit.

>                                           virus protection,

Ha ha ha.  We only have virus problems on PCs and Macs.  We've
pretty much exterminated all the PCs, and on the Macs we use
Disinfectant (it's FREE; comparable software for the PC would
cost us $18,000 annually in licensing fees), and keep a lot of
stuff on AppleShare servers in write-protected folders.  The
NeXTs are an absolute joy in comparison--each user has his or
her own username (sharing accounts is strictly forbidden).  Each
user must sign a "certification of use" that explains relevant
sections of California's Penal Code as it applies to computer and
network abuse.  Violators are dealt with through University
disciplinary procedure (that a computer means little) and/or
criminal prosecution.  There's no "screw up and lose your
computer access"--there's "screw up and be suspended or expelled
from the University."  Other than that, users do pretty much
whatever they want, whenever they want, with little or no
supervision, and an assurance that their privacy will be
protected (no one searches though their files without a damn
good reason, and preferably a court order).

>                                                              and so on,
>   especially regarding the NeXT?

Treat the machines as workstations, not as PCs.  Make sure you
know *who* is using each machine, especially if they're connected
to the Internet (as ours are).  No anonymous usage!  If budget
constraints force you to choose between more seats or better-
equipped machines, go for the latter.  Don't skimp on memory or
disk space.  Think BIG--4 to 20 times bigger than what might be
"normal" for a PC.

Don't fall into the GUI trap.  Programs like NetManager and
UserManager often don't do what you want--and don't tell you
what they're REALLY up to.  Learn how to use the "advanced"
tools, be able to manage your machines remotely.

Provide low-cost printing solutions--people shouldn't have to
burn expensive laser toner on program listings.

Network EVERYTHING.

					-=EPS=-

SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET (Salvatore Saieva) (06/11/91)

I'm curious how you Lab Managers are using the 105MB HD on the client
machines. Do you netboot the clients mounting / from the server or do
you keep boot files (and other pre-installed files) on the local client
disk and do some other magic to access the extended release of OS
from the servers? I've been toying with both net configurations for the
past few days and (as you'd guess) there are drawbacks to each:
Netbooting and mounting / remotely doesn't make use good use of an
available 105MB HD and it's slow to startup NeXT apps; Booting the
NeXTstations from the local HD is faster, provides quicker startup for
the available pre-installed NeXT software, but it looks like a nuisance
to setup a NeXTstation to run the dev tool available on the server.

I've been thinking about some sort of compromise: Netbooting the
NeXTstations and mounting / remotely, using the local 105 HD for
/private files, and also installing  frequently used NeXT apps (such as
Terminal, Edit, WriteNow, Websters, etc) in a separate partition on
the local disk. If this were all possible it would seem to provide
the best features of both setups: Avoid the work to access dev tools
if / were not mounted remotely, and have local access to frequently
used adm files (/private is mounted locally) and apps. Does this
sound too nutty? Am I missing something, or maybe just trying to
complicate the issue?

How is everyone else setting-up their lab file systems and using
the local 105MB drives?

Sal.
-------
 Salvatore Saieva                            Internet: slvqc@cunyvm.cuny.edu
 Queens College, Academic Computer Center      BITNET: slvqc@cunyvm.bitnet
 65-30 Kissena Blvd, Flushing, N.Y. 11367     DeskNet: (718) 520-7662

      awk, sed, grep, lex, yacc, make, >, <, |,... ``I got the Power!''

grd@cmn9 (glen diener) (06/11/91)

In article <91161.143520SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET> SLVQC@CUNYVM.BITNET (Salvatore
Saieva) writes:
> I'm curious how you Lab Managers are using the 105MB HD on the client
> machines. Do you netboot the clients mounting / from the server or do
> you keep boot files (and other pre-installed files) on the local client
--stuff deleted

We use a script, written by Wayde Schroeder at NeXT tech support,
which mounts the root directory from a machine with an
"extended" os, then creates symlinks to the appropriate places
to make the the slab appear as if it had the extended release.
The script is called "NfsExtend", and I assume NeXT make
it available just for the asking.

-glen
grd@ccrma.stanford.edu

	(Salvatore Saieva) writes:
>I'm curious how you Lab Managers are using the 105MB HD on the client
>machines. Do you netboot the clients mounting / from the server or do
>you keep boot files (and other pre-installed files) on the local client

Absolutely not.  We COMPLETELY wiped the 105s and named them all
swapdisk.  So far they've been adequate, but I think we've been
extremely lucky.  Once Mathematica 2.0 turns up, no doubt someone
will burn up every last bit of the local swap and start hammering
on the server.  :-(

>Netbooting and mounting / remotely doesn't make use good use of an
>available 105MB HD and it's slow to startup NeXT apps

I disagree.  Unless you're trying to get away with 8MB machines,
in which case you deserve to lose.  Our "showcase" cluster has a
32MB NeXTstation with a 400MB ST1480 serving 20MB NeXTstations.
Launch time is comparable to or better than using the local 105MB
drives--those Quantums are total dogs.  "We only bought them
because we knew we wouldn't have to use them."

>                                                       Booting the
>NeXTstations from the local HD is faster,

Not in our experience.  And there's no root fsck needed after a
client crash, either.

>                                          provides quicker startup for
>the available pre-installed NeXT software,

Nope.

>                                               it looks like a nuisance
>to setup a NeXTstation to run the dev tool available on the server.

And just think about how much fun you'll have upgrading when the
next Software Release comes out.  Life's much easier with
"dataless" workstations (one of the better ideas from MIT's
Project Athena, IMHO).

>I've been thinking about some sort of compromise: Netbooting the
>NeXTstations and mounting / remotely, using the local 105 HD for
>/private files,

/private/etc on each workstation?  Won't that be an absolute joy
to administrate?  Where's my eleven-foot pole?  On my server, I
have a lot of /clients/*/etc/whatevers hard-linked--this
guarantees consistency.

>                                                       Does this
>sound too nutty? Am I missing something, or maybe just trying to
>complicate the issue?

Something smells with your setup.  Do you have an unusually
busy network (e.g. large and bridged rather than routed) or
are your machines dying for lack of RAM?  If the machines are
OK, I'd beg/borrow/steal a protocol analyzer and a TDR and
start hunting for network gremlins.

					-=EPS=-