[comp.sys.next] What type of memory does NeXTDimension take?

mahesh@next.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) (06/12/91)

We're buying a couple (greater than one, less than three 8-) ) NDs
over here at Notre Dame.  Looking at the price list, I see that the
NDs come in 8 and 16 Mb configurations.  The question is,
	What is the memory configuration?
Does the ND take regular SIMMS? Are there 8 slots and they just stuff
them with 1 or 4 MB SIMMS?  Or does the ND need some sort of wierd-ass
memory device (like the Nextstation colour...)
	Further, is there any advantage in upgrading the memory of
the cube itself??

Enquiring mind(s) want to know....

--
******************OPENLOOK???  EX-TER-MI-NATE!!!************************
Mahesh Subramanya                     INTERNET: mahesh@darwin.cc.nd.edu

gmk@ucsc.edu (Gottfried Mayer-Kress) (06/12/91)

In article <1991Jun11.192727.1470@news.nd.edu> mahesh@next.nd.edu (Mahesh
Subramanya) writes:

> We're buying a couple (greater than one, less than three 8-) ) NDs
> over here at Notre Dame.  Looking at the price list, I see that the
> NDs come in 8 and 16 Mb configurations.  The question is,
> 	What is the memory configuration?
> Does the ND take regular SIMMS? Are there 8 slots and they just stuff

yes there are 8 slots

> them with 1 or 4 MB SIMMS?  Or does the ND need some sort of wierd-ass
> memory device (like the Nextstation colour...)
It takes different DRAMM chips than the CPU board (I would hesitate to
use anatomical terms for their description) . I just bought 8MB
256Kx36 80ns SIMMs 8MB	at South Coast Electronics, 800-289-8801 for $590.-
> 	Further, is there any advantage in upgrading the memory of
> the cube itself??
yes, it speeds it up if you have large jobs
--
Gottfried Mayer-Kress

gmk@goshawk.lanl.gov
gmk@sfi.santafe.edu